IV Cert - EMT-B

Kray1234

Forum Ride Along
New EMT-B, did most of you guys have to take an IV class before being hired on at a hospital or ambulance service or was their training given after hiring with a certification? I've heard AMR trains their people, do they actually get you IV certified?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
This is likely a regional question. I believe TN, CO, MD, and a few other states permit EMTs to start peripheral lines, but there is - as far as I know - no national standard on this other than that stating IVs is not in national scope for EMTs.

OP
OP
K

Kray1234

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, I'm in CO, seems like the standard here for hiring. Most places ask for IV in hand before applying didn't know if any are willing/able to train you up in house though.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Ping [mention]Tigger [/mention]- any idea on this?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You will have an easier time getting hired if you already have it. Most hospitals EMS containing education offer it as do the community colleges.

but yes, some places to include some AMR operations will give you the class if you don’t have it.

OP
OP
K

Kray1234

Forum Ride Along
Hey Tigger! I'm an EMT student in Colorado Springs. I saw on the forums here you are from the area. I graduated from PPCC's EMT-B program last fall. I finally got around to taking the NREMT exam and was wondering if you had any advice for looking for a job in the area. I've heard a lot about AMR (good & bad), and also considered working at St. Francis or Memo as a tech. However it seems like the hospitals are really looking for experienced EMT's with IV certs, and the most experience I have is 8 months as a CNA at The Center at Centennial. I'm looking for a position that I can learn in and grow professionally. I really don't know where I want to end up down the road, maybe PA, trauma nurse, Paramedic/Fire. Where do you recommend I start off in EMS here in town? What advice do you have getting a job? Thank you!