I'm new, any recommendations?

Prariemedic

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I am now an ems first responder that resently completed training and now added to dispatch. I live in a semi/ remote rural location. Any support such as fire or ambulance can be from 20 min to an hour away. No other ems in the area currently, I am solo.

Looking for recommendations as to what I should have on hand for kit? I have a very basic kit that was supplied by the local health provider. Since then I have started adding to it. Kit will be carried in vehicle. Trying to fundraise within community for additional gear like an aed, backboard, etc. Have a second "d" oxygen tank just cause of my remoteness.

Will need to use my kit on multiple patents at same time if solo on a multi vehicle collision .
Looking into the idea of a rechargeable type worklight down the road and increase hemerage control .

Any info or advice will be apreaciated.
Thanks

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're in the U.S., I don't think solo practice is an option. Unless you have MD or DO after your name, you're going to need medical direction, which means most of your questions would be answered by a combination of your EMT curriculum and your system's protocols. If concepts like EMS curricula and protocols are foreign to you, I suggest you hit the pause button and look a little further into what EMS is and what it isn't. And if anyone in a position of authority expects you to work truly on your own, I suggest you run for whatever hills are closest.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
echoing what @mgr22 said, you might be putting the cart before the horse.

AEDs are thousands of dollars. Backboards suck, and if help in 20 minutes away, do you really want to strap someone to a LSB and then have them wait 20 minutes in the elements?

Are you part of an organization whose job is to respond to calls? or will you simply be showing up when you see something in dispatch?

I would never say don't try to help, however there is (usually) more to it than simply showing up at a call with a bag of equipment and doing what you think is right.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
What training did you complete exactly?

You saying you’ve been added to dispatch makes me think this isn’t as a good gamaritan, but as a volunteer. Is this correct? Is there no guidelines or medical over site for volunteers?

OP
OP
P

Prariemedic

Forum Ride Along
I'm from Canada . Rules and training might be different up here. I have received ems first responder training. It is a voluntary position to provide ems service to he area. Dispatch is for all the ems service up here , ambulances , etc. I will receive an auto dealer call and text from the health region
The purpose is to help others and the community.
Just looking for advise on what items I should have in my kit bag?

Knuckles

Forum Probie
Ok, so apparently, Canada calls all levels of EMS “paramedic” (thank you socialized medicine). Still, there are varying levels of “paramedic”. The answer starts with “What were you trained to do?” Then consider what you’re allowed to do by whatever oversight division/province you’re certified through. Then there’s what is allowed through the department you’re a member of. There’s too many questions that need answers for anyone to say “carry this!”

If you’re not part of a department and just operating on your own, the most important part of your kit will be professional insurance. You’re gonna need it.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure what you can do in Canada by yourself: in the US all you can do is Basic Life Support: CPR, stop the bleeding. Wait for an ambulance. Calm the bystanders, comfort the family, and get yelled at