I'm an EMT and got a DUI... What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt9530

Forum Ride Along
Here it goes. I'm 23 and I've been licensed and practicing as an AEMT in the state of TN for the past two years at a private ambulance service. Last night I was out drinking and decided to drive and got arrested. I've been charged with a DUI, speeding, and due care. Is this the end of my career? Will my EMT license be revoked? Will I still be employable or fired from my current job? I've worked extremely hard to get where I am. I'm making decent money, have my own place, etc... I'd hate to lose all of that over a temporary lapse in judgement.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I imagine your company has a policy where u would have to inform them of the arrest. I also imagine your state does too? I couldn't find anything other than the initial requirements on your states ems website but I would start there. Everyone makes mistakes & hopefully u will grow from it.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
You can't drive an ambulance without a license...obviously. Most people get fired after things like this and rightfully so. Unless they have a position where you don't have to drive, you're pretty much out of luck.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Most likely you will lose your job. Depending on state law you might be able to keep your patch.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You were arrested last night and are already free? Are they not following the laws there?

According to my Google-Fu you should have had a minimum of 48 hours locked up. You license will be suspended for 1 year and you also have to have the ignition lock out device, even for first time offender.

You sound screwed anyway you slice it not to mention the higher insurance premiums now. Do not try to minimize what you did as a "temporary lapse in judgement". If you say it again here I will call you a damn fool and liar. If you say it in public/personal life to try and lessen your shame, then absolutely the statement holds true.

There is NO acceptable excuse for DUI, especially something as "temporary lapse of judgement".

OP
OP
M

Matt9530

Forum Ride Along
I imagine your company has a policy where u would have to inform them of the arrest. I also imagine your state does too? I couldn't find anything other than the initial requirements on your states ems website but I would start there. Everyone makes mistakes & hopefully u will grow from it.
I couldn't find anything in our handbook about notifying the company of the arrest, or anywhere online for the state. Of course, when I'm found guilty in about a month they will find out. Nothing is on my record yet.

You can't drive an ambulance without a license...obviously. Most people get fired after things like this and rightfully so. Unless they have a position where you don't have to drive, you're pretty much out of luck.
I really don't drive much where I'm at considering the large amount of BLS trucks. Regardless, I'd still understand being fired and it would be "rightful" I suppose.

Most likely you will lose your job. Depending on state law you might be able to keep your patch.
Well, that's why I asked if I'd still be employable because this is what I'm expecting to happen. Considering my inability to drive as an EMT it would limit me to BLS and even then, would a company hire?

You were arrested last night and are already free? Are they not following the laws there?

According to my Google-Fu you should have had a minimum of 48 hours locked up. You license will be suspended for 1 year and you also have to have the ignition lock out device, even for first time offender.

You sound screwed anyway you slice it not to mention the higher insurance premiums now. Do not try to minimize what you did as a "temporary lapse in judgement". If you say it again here I will call you a damn fool and liar. If you say it in public/personal life to try and lessen your shame, then absolutely the statement holds true.

There is NO acceptable excuse for DUI, especially something as "temporary lapse of judgement".

I was arrested and got out on bond. My court date is a month away where I will be found guilty and then face what you stated above. I understand I'm screwed, thanks for clarifying. I didn't try to minimize what I did with that statement; I merely said it was a lapse in judgement, which it was. I'll assume you've already called me a damn fool (which I am, for this), but what have I lied about? And I haven't discussed this issue in my life yet, just here. I haven't made any excuses for anything. Did you not see where I clearly stated I was drinking and made the decision to drive? Sounds like I owned up to it. I came here for EMS related advice so if you have nothing more to add than "your screwed", please see yourself out.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
You need to man up and tell your employer. Every company j have ever seen requires at least 5 years of time after the arrest to be deemed eligible for hire. You can't just start taking every call and making your partners drive everytime. You are still under an insurance policy with your jobs third party insurance company.

SOME companies will hire EMTs to do nothing but run calls. But those companies are few and far between. So unless your company does this, you are losing your job. Deal with the consequences for your stupid actions.

OP
OP
M

Matt9530

Forum Ride Along
You need to man up and tell your employer. Every company j have ever seen requires at least 5 years of time after the arrest to be deemed eligible for hire. You can't just start taking every call and making your partners drive everytime. You are still under an insurance policy with your jobs third party insurance company.

SOME companies will hire EMTs to do nothing but run calls. But those companies are few and far between. So unless your company does this, you are losing your job. Deal with the consequences for your stupid actions.
Yea, I figured it would be a long time before I would be rehired. I haven't been proven guilty yet, still have my drivers license and my MVR is clean at the moment. What's the point in telling them before any of that changes? That is an honest question, not sarcasm. The usual partners I have like to only drive, so I tend to take every call anyhow. I know I'm still under insurance with the company, but that won't change until a charge is added to my MVR when I'm found guilty. I am dealing with the consequences.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I couldn't find anything in our handbook about notifying the company of the arrest, or anywhere online for the state. Of course, when I'm found guilty in about a month they will find out. Nothing is on my record yet.

Your company will find that out as soon as the DMV notifies the insurance, and you will be in a far worse position than you are right now. As for the rest of it - it's up to your company; if they can put you as 'attendant only', you might - theoretically - keep your job. But this should be the least of your worries, since having a DUI on your record, automatically puts you on the very top of every self-respecting company's ****list. You came here looking for an EMS advice, you've been given it and giving people a lip, just because you didn't like the answer, is the very opposite of fair judgement.

OP
OP
M

Matt9530

Forum Ride Along
Your company will find that out as soon as the DMV notifies the insurance, and you will be in a far worse position than you are right now. As for the rest of it - it's up to your company; if they can put you as 'attendant only', you might - theoretically - keep your job. But this should be the least of your worries, since having a DUI on your record, automatically puts you on the very top of every self-respecting company's ****list. You came here looking for an EMS advice, you've been given it and giving people a lip, just because you didn't like the answer, is the very opposite of fair judgement.

I haven't been found guilty, yet. What will the DMV notify them of? Just the arrest? Yea, I can imagine it's hard to find a job with a DUI. I gave one person lip, and his answer was much more personal criticism than EMS related.

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Your temporary lapse in judgement could have killed someone. Nobody has any sympathy for you here. Most likely, you will be fired. In my area, where getting an EMT job is pretty competitive, nobody would touch anyone with a DUI with a ten-foot pole. You may have to start looking for a new line of work. Maybe ER tech? Good luck.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I'd take this as a very hard lesson and soak in all the advise, wanted and not, that these guys are giving you. You messed up and you will have to deal with the consequences that come from this. I had a friend in a similar situation and he lost his job. It was years before he was able to work in EMS again. If its something that you truly want then take whatever time it is to get your **** together. I'd take this pretty seriously, Chewy20 mentioned 5 years for companies to even consider you and I don't know if that's state to state but here in MN I believe it stays on your record for 7 years. You're young, learn from this!

nater

Forum Crew Member
My last department had an advanced-emt in a similar situation. He was also young and was also arrested for a DUI. Due to being uninsurable and not being able to drive, he was terminated. Nobody else would hire him for the same reasons. Last I heard of him, he ended up loosing his cert because he could not get an affiliation with a department. (required for ALS certs here, but not BLS) EMS is a small industry, your reputation spreads quick, as do issues like you found yourself in. Also, there are not very many companies who offer insurance on an ambulance fleet which will make things more difficult for you.

Any other interests for a career?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
It certainly depends on where he lives. In my company, there are at least 2 EMTs w/ DUI but the company employs them as 'attendants only'. Certainly not indicative of anything, aside from how eff'd up things are in CA/LACo.

nater

Forum Crew Member
Does your department have office staff or dispatchers? You might keep a job if you are honest with them now.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I haven't been proven guilty yet, still have my drivers license and my MVR is clean at the moment. What's the point in telling them before any of that changes?
It's called being an adult. You messed up, you admitted it to us. The next step is to admit it to your employer.

Why? First, it's the right thing to do.

Second, if you wait for your employer to find out and then they have to hunt you down, it will be much worse than telling them now. You will have this weight on your shoulders, waiting to be called into the office. It will affect your patient care, your eating and sleeping, if you are in a relationship it will affect them, etc.

Third, as mentioned above, there might be alternatives. You can be the attendant. You can work dispatch, do office work, etc. You can become an instructor and help with re-certifications. You can be the guy that washes the rigs, restocks them, cleans the toilets, etc. Failure to tell them now will eliminate the opportunity to do any of that.

Finally, if they can no longer employee you, ask to resign. It will look a little better than being fired. If you somehow beat the case, if you have a good lawyer, if the judge had a good cup of coffee, listens to you beg for mercy, and changes the charges to a lesser one, there's a chance you can continue to work in the field.

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
Your EMT won't be revoked. I've known medics and emts with duis. However you will have trouble getting a job. Ask the judge if you can get a provisional license to use at work, and to drive to/from work. Or wait the 6 months or whatever to get your license back. It will always haunt you u for years to come on your background, so be prepared for that. Also, you could get a lawyer and fight it, and either get acquitted of have it reduced to lesser charge

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
They started telling us "Don't drink and drive" in 8th grade. I always laugh a little when people minimize their DUI arrest. We all know better and in today's age of Uber, nobody should be getting a DUI.

Chimpies right man. What's waiting a month until court going to do? Work will find out. It's inevitable. Putting it off isnt going to change the outcome. It might actually make it worse. Why spend the next month living a double life like Dicaprio did in the movie Departed. It's going to drive you nuts looking over your shoulder for the next month. Just be a man, get out ahead of it, and take your licks. It's not going to be awesome, but it's the right thing to do.

When I first started, there was a guy who got a DUI and was allowed to keep working as attendant only. Depends on a lot of factors, but has happened.

If I was the Sup or company owner and you walked into my office and said, "I messed up real bad this weekend boss. Here's what happened...Is there anyway I can keep my job in any capacity? If not, I completely understand." I'd work with you the best I could. If I learned this happened a month ago and I'm just now finding out about it, or even worse, someone else tells me. You're toast.

Kevswens

Forum Ride Along
I do not know about the company you work for, but where I work you would have to report it immediately to the company. The company I work for is a little lenient, and will allow someone with a dui to keep their job. However, you would be considered a non-driver and would have to take every call. You would not be allowed to drive for the company for 7 years.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Stop posting here and reach out to a local attorney immediately. Hire the best attorney you can possibly afford. Your career and future are on the line.

Also, stop drinking and driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.