IABP/Hemodynamic Class Advice

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hey everyone,

Looking for some input. I was asked to teach a class about IABP and Invasive Hemodynamics for a CCEMTP course. I was provided the PowerPoints from the AAOS Critical Care Transport book, chapters 14 and 15. I was going to create an additional presentation to fill in some gaps and add more depth.

For those of you who have taken the course, is there anything you thought was lacking or not explained well? Anything you wish was covered that wasn't?

For those of you who do a lot of CC/IFT, anything you think should be emphasized? Does your company have its own IABP console? If so, which model. How many invasive waveforms can you monitor on your transport units? I am assuming just monitoring or do you have the ability to do cardiac outputs? Do you transport these patients independently or usually with a RN?

Thanks.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hey everyone,

Looking for some input. I was asked to teach a class about IABP and Invasive Hemodynamics for a CCEMTP course. I was provided the PowerPoints from the AAOS Critical Care Transport book, chapters 14 and 15. I was going to create an additional presentation to fill in some gaps and add more depth.

For those of you who have taken the course, is there anything you thought was lacking or not explained well? Anything you wish was covered that wasn't?

For those of you who do a lot of CC/IFT, anything you think should be emphasized? Does your company have its own IABP console? If so, which model. How many invasive waveforms can you monitor on your transport units? I am assuming just monitoring or do you have the ability to do cardiac outputs? Do you transport these patients independently or usually with a RN?

Thanks.
Honestly you could probably run circles around me, and the class you will be teaching (otherwise they wouldn't have asked ya;)).

We catch an IABP transfer occasionally on our ground unit (our RW is a 407), so don't see them too often, but I personally find them fascinating and will try n pick apart the perfusionists, or ICU RN's brain we take with us when it seems fitting, or appropriate.

I'm not sure who all your audience will be, but ballon pump timing, indications/ contraindications all helped me in any/ all critical care classes I have taken. Also proper placement of the IABP and importance of reassessing for adequate perfusion in transit.

My services monitor has the capability to monitor 3 invasive lines if needed. A pretty basic and standard set up around these here parts.

Again, we don't have our own IABP console. I wish we did, but this patient population is so infrequent in our area to transfer out, I don't see it being implemented anytime soon.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Also, if you, or any advanced provider on this forum has any working knowledge of REBOA, this too may help. And, if you or anyone does, feel free to share here as well.

I believe it's still a fairly new device utilized with certain post arrest patients, but would love to learn and hear more about it aside from what's being fed through the podcast pipelines, or interwebs.

Specifically, any first hand experience from providers on here who want to share any working knowledge of it, thanks.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Any updates on how your IABP/ hemodynamics lecture(s) went?