I Want to be a Paramedic/Suggestions for which BA/BS to go for?

Meth0dz19

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys for checking up on this post.
I am currently 22 living in NorCal and I want to become a great Medic one day. I have been an EMT(PT) for over a year and half, currently working for Rural Metro (IFT division). Is there any tips that I can get started on NOW to successfully pass my Paramedic School in the future? Maybe types of books or programs to increase your skills as an EMT? idk...

Also another big question. I want to study towards a Bachelors Degree, but not sure in what. Any suggestions? For sure I want BA/BS that could tie into EMS.

Thanks for the feedback!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Start working on your degree. Bio, chem, physics, micro, anatomy, physiology, and algebra would all be very helpful in making you a better medic. It would also get you started for whatever concentration you choose to pursue.

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
Liberal Arts. Begin to try and understand man. After all, most of EMS is psychological help. Not in the sense of mental illness, but in terms of compassion. The whole person is the priority.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'd vote psych with a minor in biology.

I'd probably flip it- Bio with Psych minor. The courses in a Bio degree are more relevant in understanding the body and how things work. Then a couple psych and socio classes to help understand people. While we do deal with some interesting and different populations, we're still in the business of medicine.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
There are a few universities that have BS degrees in EMS (Univ of Pittsburgh and Univ of Maryland, for examples) through which you can get your paramedic cert and then continue to get the degree. I know two people who did this and are now in medical school, so there is a lot of wiggle room in terms of electives that you could fulfill pre-reqs for med school, PA school, etc.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Ostensibly...
Haha fair enough ;)

There are a few universities that have BS degrees in EMS (Univ of Pittsburgh and Univ of Maryland, for examples) through which you can get your paramedic cert and then continue to get the degree. I know two people who did this and are now in medical school, so there is a lot of wiggle room in terms of electives that you could fulfill pre-reqs for med school, PA school, etc.

UT Health Science Center in San Antonio has an online BS in Emergency Health Sciences as well.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I'd probably flip it- Bio with Psych minor. The courses in a Bio degree are more relevant in understanding the body and how things work. Then a couple psych and socio classes to help understand people. While we do deal with some interesting and different populations, we're still in the business of medicine.

I would agree with you if he plans on going beyond paramedic someday. If not, personally I feel that a basic understanding of biology is more than enough to be good at what we do. Psych would give him a more rounded view on humanity which might take him further.

Honestly, either way would probably be fine.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Check the link in my signature for BS/BA degree's in EMS and also this link http://www.capems.org/get/
People here have a mixed opinion on EMS degree programs, which is fair enough. I am not saying my opinion is the only truth to the matter, but in my case an EMS degree was the right choice for me.
I am completing my BS in Paramedicine at Central Washington University. My Paramedic Program, and EMT classes would have gone to waste in most other degree programs because you can only transfer so many "electives" depending on your degree, but because my major is Paramedicine, they all plug in accordingly with the exception of my EMT-Intermediate course work. All in all I would say it saved me about 1 year of extra university.

The downside many may suggest to you is; why get a bachelors level degree in EMS when we are still struggling to get Paramedics to complete an associates degree at the community college? Well, again, Ill give you my situation. I am continuing on to graduate school, this bachelors degree suits me just fine for PA school, an MPH program, or plenty of other graduate opportunities. In addition to that, even if you want to remain a "field level provider" in EMS this degree will almost always give you the edge and grant you promotion points on municipal agencies who use points systems, in addition to that sought after paramedic jobs such as HEMS can be extremely competitive, holding this degree in combination with a certificate like FP-C will certainly help you a lot for many potential employers in that area. Also, its becoming more of a trend to have EMS management hold a higher degree, if you want to teach a Paramedic program that is nationally accredited you will need at least a bachelors to do so. Lastly, from an international perspective, if you ever thought of working as a Paramedic in another country, most of them now require bachelors degrees or are in the process of mandating that.

In addition to that all, simply having a bachelors in almost anything in the USA requires you to complete the universities breadth education and teaches you basic skills that will prove to be valuable to anyone anywhere in life. It is an accomplishment not everyone can say they have, ESPECIALLY in EMS ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Realistically, almost any degree can be useful. Biology (and chemistry, bioengineering, physics, etc.) are far over-rated, especially as pre-medical or pre-health degrees. One should major in what one is interested. Most degrees have enough elective time to allow one to pursue other interests (or pre-reqs).

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
With that being said, My friend's co worker has a masters in Egyptology and they work at a comic book store together ;-)

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm going to go against the grain here and say get a degree in something non EMS related. Something you can fall back on and that pays decent. No liberal arts degrees, no psych. Something that if you ever want to leave the field you can get a decent job.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If I could do it again, I'd have majored in chem or bio, with a minor in economics or business.
The sciences allow you to move on to PA or med school if you want to, and business or economics give you some wiggle room out of health care.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm going to go against the grain here and say get a degree in something non EMS related. Something you can fall back on and that pays decent. No liberal arts degrees, no psych. Something that if you ever want to leave the field you can get a decent job.

This a million times. If it wont give you more options than you already have, then a degree is not worth the money. Seriously, student loan debt is rough, so you better have a reasonable career path in mind to make it worth it. If that is med school, PA school, management, etc. that is great.

If I could do it again, I'd have majored in chem or bio, with a minor in economics or business.
The sciences allow you to move on to PA or med school if you want to, and business or economics give you some wiggle room out of health care.

You can go to med or PA school with any bachelors degree, as long as you complete the pre reqs. You can major in econ and minor in bio or chem, or vice versa. You can major in music if you'd like.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am going to be "that guy" and throw out BSN as an option. Endless options and can transition into NP/PA.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm looking at, if I stay in NM, completing my AAS and BS in emergency medical services from the colleges here and then apply to PA school eventually. That might change if I move soon but we will see. I will finish some kind of a degree anywhere I move to.

OP
OP
M

Meth0dz19

Forum Ride Along
Wow very helpful comments everyone, I really appreciate that. I would say I am interested in the human body, and how it functions and all that stuff. Maybe something like bio. I took a basic psychology class and it was just not my thing. Physics would be pretty cool I think. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You can go to med or PA school with any bachelors degree, as long as you complete the pre reqs. You can major in econ and minor in bio or chem, or vice versa. You can major in music if you'd like.

Yup. There is no reason to discount a degree if it will give you more options than you have now. I have a BA in political science. Nothing special, just a typical liberal arts degree. I have more options in EMS because of it, and I could quite tomorrow and find a policy job fairly easily.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup. There is no reason to discount a degree if it will give you more options than you have now. I have a BA in political science. Nothing special, just a typical liberal arts degree. I have more options in EMS because of it, and I could quite tomorrow and find a policy job fairly easily.

Would you consider EMS policy/leadership in the future?