Hurricane Dennis

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey everyone,

For all of us in the Florida and Gulf Coast states, I hope that you are pay attention to Hurricane Dennis. As of 8:00 am this morning he's already a Cat 2. Some of the private forecasters are calling for at least a 3 if not 4 by landfall.

The time to prepare your home, family and work places is now. While it may be a little early to put up the plywood, at least start thinking about evacuations, phone lists, whether to ride it out or head to a shelter, water, food, etc.

Take care everyone!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:angry:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
For you guys in Florida/La/Ala...

I am curious what your plans are? How worried are you at this point? When will you start to stress about it?

I, personally, am going to shelter at the hospital I work at. They have a nice deal. We can bring our families, and the hospital volunteers open a daycare for the children of the staff. They feed us too. And when we get there, we clock in and do not clock out until the first time we get to go home.

Now the downside to that is, we are called upon to work the shifts for people who don't/can't show up.

But the upside is Pay for 24 hrs..thats 8 hours regular, 16 hours of overtime including all the shift differentials that apply.

I will take my kids and hang there in my moms office.

I am not to stressed yet. But, am watching closely. Sandbags are ready. Plywood in in the garage, we will hang it Sat or Sun.

Take care all of you. And if it does hit here, it may be a few days before I can check in again.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Jul 7 2005, 09:11 AM

Take care all of you. And if it does hit here, it may be a few days before I can check in again.
Same here.

Our apt can't take anything over cat.1 so if it's a 2 or 3 I'll take the kids to my mother in laws house but she lives near the water so if its over a 3 we go to the shelter the sherrifs dept has for families. My husband will have to stay there overnight at work until it's over.

It's extremely inconvenient, and like Chimpie has said, this is awfully early in the season to start doing all this. I really hope we don't have a season like last year.

And I'm not stressed out yet, they USUALLY turn before they hit us.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Wingnut@Jul 7 2005, 09:23 AM
And I'm not stressed out yet, they USUALLY turn before they hit us.
YEA...AWAY from yous guys in S.Florida...and TOWARS us guys in N.Florida.

UGH!!

This is WAY to early for at Cat 3 storm.

People..we are ONLY 5 WEEKS into the season....5 more MONTHS to go!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Jul 7 2005, 09:31 AM

Well, if it does that, come on down, I'll have drinks waiting :D

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well as of the 2pm update, it is now 110mph, one mph below Cat 3.

As for what will I do, that will be decided tomorrow. As of now we are expecting gale to tropical storm forced winds. If Dennis breaks to the east at all then we will probably be looking at hurricane force winds. Most likely we'll be riding out the storm at the Red Cross. Besides being an instructor I help out on the disaster side of things in many areas.

I think this will be a good drill for us. We have lots of new toys to play with if something happens.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Stay safe.

runindash05

Forum Crew Member
I'm hoping it doesn't hit Orlando...then again, that's what I said about the last 3....

ipscscott

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Jul 7 2005, 09:31 AM

UGH!!

This is WAY to early for at Cat 3 storm.

People..we are ONLY 5 WEEKS into the season....5 more MONTHS to go!!
Just as long as they don't go somewhere in between. :(

I tell you what, the next major one that's coming my way, I'm going to seriously consider putting in that change of ddress form. I just want to live somewhere where there aren't hurricanes, tornados, mudslides, or earthquakes. Is that too much to ask? :huh:

ipscscott

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by runindash05@Jul 7 2005, 01:23 PM
I'm hoping it doesn't hit Orlando...then again, that's what I said about the last 3....
Let's see, you said that about the last 3, and we got hit with the last 3. Hmm.... I'm sensing a recurring theme here.

Knock it off, will ya! ;)

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut, who is just three counties south of me, is now under a Tropical Storm Watch.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Well everyone, this may be it for me until after the storm. Our hospital goes into "Storm Readiness" tomorrow.

When the warning is issued for NW Florida, send prayers our way. I live half way between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach...work in Fort Walton Beach.

Chimp, Wingnut, ipscscott....Good Luck to you all...

I will try and check in between now and the storm hitting.

See y'all!!!

vtemti

Forum Captain
Hey all from Florida, I will be thinking of you. Check back asap after the storm so that we know you are safe. I hope that this is not going to be a repeat of last year.

Take care and please be careful.

Dan

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hurricane Dennis is now (Thursday 7:45pm) a Cat. 3 hurricane with sustained winds at 130 mph. One more mph and it's a Cat 4. They are prediciting that it will be a Cat 4 before it hits Cuba.

When it passes over Cuba's mountains it should take it down to a high Cat 2 but will regain strength once it enters the warm gulf.

Princess and the rest of my fellow Florida members, brace yourself. This could be a nasty one.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thanks Chimp, you be careful too Princess, and the rest of you in this with us.. Let us know as soon as you can that you're ok. We're holding off on a decision until tomorrow, see where the storm heads and if Jay has to stay at work this weekend, but we may go over to Ft.Lauderdale, my in laws have a condo there. This is WAY to early in the season, I am not a happy camper.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Originally posted by vtemti@Jul 7 2005, 03:22 PM
Hey all from Florida, I will be thinking of you. Check back asap after the storm so that we know you are safe. I hope that this is not going to be a repeat of last year.

Take care and please be careful.

Dan
I'll secound that here. Let us know that all are safe and sound.

EMTI&RESCUE

Forum Crew Member
I guess living with beautiful beaches and around beautiful people comes with bad storms...wow dont know If it'd be worth it for me...Be safe everyone in the path of the storm...Hope it turns and dies in the gulf.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, he for sure won't die in the Gulf, but thanks for the thoughts.

Dennis is now a Cat 4 hurricane. He's wobbled a little more to the west which should help Wingnut and myself. Wingut is now under a Tropical Storm Warning and I'm under a Watch. Our folks in Orlando could get lucky if Dennis stays on this track but we'll have a better idea after he crosses Cuba.

As of right now, it looks like EMTPrincess is going to get the worse of the storm. Yesterday it was supposed to be a direct impact with where she is. Now the eye is expected to past JUST to her west. While this sounds better it's actually not. The worst part of the storm is on the east side of the eyewall. This is where the worst winds and worst damage occurs.

Also, for the rest of us in Florida, we'll have to worry about tornadoes. While the eye may be far away in the Gulf, the feeder bands will be whipping us with lines of storms that will include tornadoes.

More later this afternoon.

Chimp