Hospital Based EMS Questions

Cory

Forum Captain
So, I know about private EMS, I know about FD and and other public safety EMS, but how does most hospital based EMS work? Are they mainly for 911? If so, then why don't you ever see a hospital based ambulance on scene(speaking from MY perspective) other than flight medics.

So, I realize there is most likely no definite answers to my question. My other question is, do most hospital based EMS units require higher certifications?(here in Cincinnati, the main emergency hospital is University Hospital, they run an ALS, BLS, and flight program, but they have to be RN's at the least, and every unit has an MD)

Sorry, I know these are mostly VERY broad questions. If you think they are ridiculous, please don't "lynch" me ;)

Sasha

Forum Chief
They can be 911 or IFT. Some hospitals do both. Like Health Central Hospital in Ocoee Florida do 911 in Ocoee and a part of Orlando, but also do IFTs coming out of their home hospital.

Maybe because your hospital doesn't have an ambulance service? Some don't, and contract out for their interfacility and allow the private and third services to do the 911.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
The helicopters have MDs, but I'm going to bet dollars to donuts that they are either residents or fellows, which are the cheapest labor around.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Forum Captain
The helicopters have MDs, but I'm going to bet dollars to donuts that they are either residents or fellows, which are the cheapest labor around.

Really? Did not expect that, good to know...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Dwindlin

Forum Captain

Not all. The service here is staffed by 2 dual certified RN/Medics. And to the OP I believe Wishard in Indy is a hospital based 911 service.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not all. The service here is staffed by 2 dual certified RN/Medics. And to the OP I believe Wishard in Indy is a hospital based 911 service.

I was referring specifically to University Hospital in Cincinnati.

Attending level emergency physicians as well as UC emergency medicine residents in their second, third, and fourth years of residency make up our roster of outstanding flight physicians.

http://www.aircareandmobilecare.com/Staff.html#EmerPhys

...and hour for hour, residents are cheap.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Around here (South Central, PA), hospital based EMS mainly consists of chase units staffed by Paramedics or PHRN's. They don't require any higher certification than any other type of EMS service.

Epi-do

I see dead people
And to the OP I believe Wishard in Indy is a hospital based 911 service.

That is correct. In the last few years, they have also started doing transfers from the hospital as well, but the 911 is the big thing they do. Indy also has fire-based 911 and 3rd service, depending upon which township in Marion County you are in.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Hospital-based EMS rocks. It depends on the facility/locale but in my case we're 911 for the city and county (and do mutual aid in a couple of surrounding counties) and we do outbound IFT to higher level facilities. One of the biggest reasons I like my situation is because our office is in the ER and we get to help out some. I've already learned a lot by doing that. At any rate, the pay's not bad and there are opportunities for extra OT fairly often. Again, it would largely depend on where you are and what type of facility it is but that's my situation and I love it.

Jon

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Hospital-based EMS rocks. It depends on the facility/locale but in my case we're 911 for the city and county (and do mutual aid in a couple of surrounding counties) and we do outbound IFT to higher level facilities. One of the biggest reasons I like my situation is because our office is in the ER and we get to help out some. I've already learned a lot by doing that. At any rate, the pay's not bad and there are opportunities for extra OT fairly often. Again, it would largely depend on where you are and what type of facility it is but that's my situation and I love it.

Jon

You also have a whole hospital (or health system) of opportunities for career/educational advancement.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Forum Captain
Yeah, I'm starting to really get into medicine, and I'm learning more about it from taking classes at some local hospitals. I think I would be happier working out of an ER than a fire station. I also want to work in the ER, but being in pre-hospital interests me a lot more.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
The two big hospital-based services in my area are Evangelical Community Hospital and Tyler Memorial Hospital. Of the two, Evan is a much larger EMS system, with BLS ambulances and dual-medic chase trucks scattered throughout Union County. They do mostly 911, but do some IFT and do ER Tech stuff when not out on calls. Tyler, on the other hand, does no IFT, has no ambulances, only a basic/medic chase truck.

Like everybody has said, it depends on the service in question.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
403(b), or State Pension?

That right there has pretty much sealed my deal with hospital based EMS.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
403(b), or State Pension?

That right there has pretty much sealed my deal with hospital based EMS.

Same here, when comparing a defined benefit retirement to a defined contribution retirement, there's really no comparison.

NSLIJ CEMS is a pretty stellar 911/IFT hospital IMO. I'd still be happily working there if they had a pension and union.

Who says that you can't do EMS and be compensated well? I refused to accept that. Okay, it's through fire, but if parallel compensation/retirement/benefits/working conditions were available and attainable in the single role world, I probably wouldn't have ever discovered fire based EMS. Things are as they are. Hospital based EMS does make a good side job, however.