Horrible Test Anxiety About the NREMT

Korey2019

Forum Ride Along
Hey, I'm new to the forums, but I've been checking out a lot of threads here recently, and If I do get licensed i'd definitely like to be apart of this community.

So the problem I've been having is really bad test anxiety about the NREMT-B. Before I even signed up for the class one of my fears was that I wouldn't pass the test, the big exam at the end scared me, especially when I saw a lot of people on the Internet saying how difficult it was, but I ultimately decided I would start the class anyway.

I've worked as a C-N-A for about a year but I never really learned anything as far as medical knowledge. I know some of the basics and really limited medical terminology, but I'd honestly put myself on par with someone who has no medical knowledge.

My thing is I started my class a few weeks ago and the program doesn't end until May. All I can think about constantly is the NREMT Exam. The things going through my mind are; Is what my teacher instructing about going to be on the NREMT? Is he going to miss things?

The book we're used for my class is called Emergency Care Edition 13. There's a lot of chapters over Anatomy, in depth Anatomy which i'm assuming it's because the book is also designed for Paramedics and EMT-A's. I'm horrible at Anatomy. All I know is the basics. The Anatomy really scares me because I'm wondering how much Anatomy I'll actually need to know to pass the EMT-B exam. I've been reading way ahead of where we are in class in my book, so I have no idea if my teacher is going to actually expect us to learn all this anatomy, but if he does then I need to be ahead or I'll get left behind.

Any advice?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Advice? Sure.
1. Worry less about whether your teacher is teaching the right stuff.
2. Worry more about learning what your teacher is teaching.
3. Don't worry about learning too much anatomy; you can always forget some of it later.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Emergency Care 13ed is an EMT basic text.

Once you’re in class, use the MyBradyLab online resources to study and master the material. Before you test, get a subscription to MedicTests or JB navigate and use the test prep to prepare for the test.

OP
OP
K

Korey2019

Forum Ride Along
Emergency Care 13ed is an EMT basic text.

Once you’re in class, use the MyBradyLab online resources to study and master the material. Before you test, get a subscription to MedicTests or JB navigate and use the test prep to prepare for the test.

I’ve seen you on just about every thread on the forums to do with the NREMT exam, and I just want to say thanks for being so helpful. I’m glad you are still around. I’m not familiar with mybradylab but I will definitely be looking into it now. Do I need a subscription? How does it work.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’ve seen you on just about every thread on the forums to do with the NREMT exam, and I just want to say thanks for being so helpful. I’m glad you are still around. I’m not familiar with mybradylab but I will definitely be looking into it now. Do I need a subscription? How does it work.

When I teach with Pearson textbooks, like the Emergency Care book, I have my students use the online piece that comes with the book. It’s called MyBradyLab and it has several extras that help students understand concepts better. If you don’t have it in your class, you can buy an individual subscription, I believe.

Also, as far as anatomy, you’re doing a good thing by reading ahead. My starting suggestion is, know the major bones, where the major organs are in the body, be able to identify what’s in each quadrant of the abdomen and know how blood flows through the heart and lungs. That will give you a BIG leg up over the other students.

Last edited:

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
For some people, testing anxiety is their principal hurdle to overcome. For others, its a real learning disability, lack of dedication, or just plain lack of basic human intelligence; but if you have identified your weak point then you need to take specific steps to mitigate that particular problem. How you go about that is entirely up to you, but identifying the root problem is the first step.