Hey Y'all

twindaddy75

Forum Ride Along
I'm Jeff. 43 married with twin boys (age 5). I was recently laid off a restaurant manager job. I was looking for a way out of food and beverage anyways (been doing that for 20 yrs). I had already planned to take EMT-B this coming Summer. My goal was to see if I could either get on as a Basic or as an ER Tech in a hospital. My prior experience was as a CNA (hospitals and prisons) for a couple of years. My license has since expired and from another state. I'm now in Houston. So while I await nursing school to start in January I can do this. It's my goal to eventually be a FNP in the ER.

I just am roaming around and looking at old posts. My nephew is a volunteer at Cy-Fair VFD. He and I will be going through the Basic together. Assuming Castle Branch has us both as top 25 finishers. Thanks for the wealth of info on here.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I'm Jeff. 43 married with twin boys (age 5). I was recently laid off a restaurant manager job. I was looking for a way out of food and beverage anyways (been doing that for 20 yrs). I had already planned to take EMT-B this coming Summer. My goal was to see if I could either get on as a Basic or as an ER Tech in a hospital. My prior experience was as a CNA (hospitals and prisons) for a couple of years. My license has since expired and from another state. I'm now in Houston. So while I await nursing school to start in January I can do this. It's my goal to eventually be a FNP in the ER.

I just am roaming around and looking at old posts. My nephew is a volunteer at Cy-Fair VFD. He and I will be going through the Basic together. Assuming Castle Branch has us both as top 25 finishers. Thanks for the wealth of info on here.

Hi Jeff,

I am currently an FNP student at The Ohio State University. While all state nursing boards have different requirements, you should be aware that generally speaking, being an FNP in an Emergency Department used to be the norm, but is no longer the case.

Family Nurse Practitioners specialize in out of hospital primary care, but have traditionally been hired in Emergency Departments because they are able to see patients of any age across the life span.

In the last 10 years several white papers have been released to try to update and redefine the roles of nurse practitioners. You can google “The Consensus Model” and “NONPF Core Competencies”. The result of these is that they didn’t well-define Nurse Practitioners working in an Emergency Department, but they were darn sure to explain that FNP’s and ACNP’s weren’t trained to work in those environments. As a result, most of state boards of nursing have updated their rules to reflect that FNP’s or ACNP’s with 1,000 hours of experience as an NP working in an Emergency Department are sort of grandfathered in, but new ones are not. New FNP’s or ACNP’s have to go back to school to obtain board certification as an Emergency Nurse Practitioner. So, you would work as an FNP/ENP. However, you should know that this adds one additional year of schooling, and several hundred additional clinical hours. Some great nursing universities like Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Drexel or Emory all offer ENP, but most places do not. You should realize that you are looking at 4-10 years of schooling to be able to work as a nurse practitioner in an Emergency Department. Additionally, FNP’s working at a physician’s office about 1 hour outside of Urban areas make about $120,000-$160,000, whereas Urban ENP’s (with an additional year of schooling) make about $90,000 (but have great benefits). You should factor all of this in to your future decisions. There might be other pathways to do what you want to do that are faster (like PA school) or pay more.

OP
OP
T

twindaddy75

Forum Ride Along
Hi Jeff,

I am currently an FNP student at The Ohio State University. While all state nursing boards have different requirements, you should be aware that generally speaking, being an FNP in an Emergency Department used to be the norm, but is no longer the case.

Family Nurse Practitioners specialize in out of hospital primary care, but have traditionally been hired in Emergency Departments because they are able to see patients of any age across the life span.

In the last 10 years several white papers have been released to try to update and redefine the roles of nurse practitioners. You can google “The Consensus Model” and “NONPF Core Competencies”. The result of these is that they didn’t well-define Nurse Practitioners working in an Emergency Department, but they were darn sure to explain that FNP’s and ACNP’s weren’t trained to work in those environments. As a result, most of state boards of nursing have updated their rules to reflect that FNP’s or ACNP’s with 1,000 hours of experience as an NP working in an Emergency Department are sort of grandfathered in, but new ones are not. New FNP’s or ACNP’s have to go back to school to obtain board certification as an Emergency Nurse Practitioner. So, you would work as an FNP/ENP. However, you should know that this adds one additional year of schooling, and several hundred additional clinical hours. Some great nursing universities like Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Drexel or Emory all offer ENP, but most places do not. You should realize that you are looking at 4-10 years of schooling to be able to work as a nurse practitioner in an Emergency Department. Additionally, FNP’s working at a physician’s office about 1 hour outside of Urban areas make about $120,000-$160,000, whereas Urban ENP’s (with an additional year of schooling) make about $90,000 (but have great benefits). You should factor all of this in to your future decisions. There might be other pathways to do what you want to do that are faster (like PA school) or pay more.

Thank you, sir for this. I am certainly going to keep this in mind. I think it's great for me to look towards my goals but keep an eye on right now. It helps (your post) me evaluate the relevance of the steps I've mapped out to get to my endgame. At my age I have to make calculated decisions and your advice most definitely helps.