Hemet/Riverside AMR

BenjaminA

Forum Probie
Hello y’all,
I was curious what the hiring process at AMR Hemet is like. I just got an offer and I’m curious what I should expect as to the Orentation and FTO phase to the actual Call Volume/Area. I do have a few questions about living there too. If these are repeats please redirect me though.
Thank you for your time guys.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Typically you will either do orientation at Riverside Division or Rancho Division. You will cover company policies, gurney operations, EVOC, and several other items. No protocol stuff will be covered during this time. If you are a medic you will get placed in a skills verification/CPAP/12-lead/capno course that is required. I think this process is usually a week long.

From there you will be released to your division. You will typically have a single orientation day at your division and then you will be assigned a FTO.

Your FTO is selected randomly so you will not know what days you will be working or if you will be doing day shifts/night shifts/swing shifts until you get your assignment. Hemet has their main deployment in Hemet and then they have another very small deployment out of Beaumont so you could end up being scheduled there, it all depends what shift your FTO work

Call volume varies greatly between day shifts and night shifts. Your typical day shifts can easily have you at 8+ calls in a 12 hour shift. Night shifts are usually a lot slower and you may average 4 a night.

With it being Hemet, expect to get pulled into both the Riverside/MoVal area for calls and also the Palm Springs area for calls.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminA

Forum Probie
Typically you will either do orientation at Riverside Division or Rancho Division. You will cover company policies, gurney operations, EVOC, and several other items. No protocol stuff will be covered during this time. If you are a medic you will get placed in a skills verification/CPAP/12-lead/capno course that is required. I think this process is usually a week long.

From there you will be released to your division. You will typically have a single orientation day at your division and then you will be assigned a FTO.

Your FTO is selected randomly so you will not know what days you will be working or if you will be doing day shifts/night shifts/swing shifts until you get your assignment. Hemet has their main deployment in Hemet and then they have another very small deployment out of Beaumont so you could end up being scheduled there, it all depends what shift your FTO work

Call volume varies greatly between day shifts and night shifts. Your typical day shifts can easily have you at 8+ calls in a 12 hour shift. Night shifts are usually a lot slower and you may average 4 a night.

With it being Hemet, expect to get pulled into both the Riverside/MoVal area for calls and also the Palm Springs area for calls.
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it a lot. Do you know of anywhere good to live by Hemet? My apologies if that’s an inappropriate question the Operations gentleman told me it wasn’t the best place.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hemet and San Jacinto are not the best places to live. The higher end areas are Temecula, Murrieta, Riverside, Redlands, Yucaipa (some parts).

Ive heard there are some good parts in Hemet and San Jacinto but I do not personally know.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminA

Forum Probie
Hemet and San Jacinto are not the best places to live. The higher end areas are Temecula, Murrieta, Riverside, Redlands, Yucaipa (some parts).

Ive heard there are some good parts in Hemet and San Jacinto but I do not personally know.
Thank you once more Desert. This information was very helpful.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

The little lake area isn’t all that bad. I’d actively avoid living in San Jacinto.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I live in Hemet and worked for AMR there for 10 years. Busiest division in the county by far. Pass is slower than the Valley, Hemet E-1 runs 25-30 medicals a day with E-2 not far behind. Engine 3 is steady, 4 and 5 slower. The county station in San Jac is busy as well, East Hemet county stations are not slow. Expect to not get much down time, HVMC is a community hospital, no specialty designations and a lot of the locals hate it, so expect to transport out of district a lot, County is closest trauma, LLU Murrieta STEMI, I think County is still closest stroke. As far as living in the area, the further east or west you go the better, stay away from the downtown area and anywhere in San Jac save maybe the southwest part.

EDIT: Hemet is a great place to work if you have to work for AMR. Jack and Rod are the best bosses and most of the sups are cool if you do your job.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
. Your typical day shifts can easily have you at 8+ calls in a 12 hour shift. Night shifts are usually a lot slower and you may average 4 a night.
To be fair I havent worked there in 5 years, but 4 calls in a night would have been a godsend. Maybe in the Pass, but the Valley? No way are you getting out with 4.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminA

Forum Probie
To be fair I havent worked there in 5 years, but 4 calls in a night would have been a godsend. Maybe in the Pass, but the Valley? No way are you getting out with 4.
Thank you for the information. By County do you mean Riverside or Inland for Trauma? I’m try to memorize the places so thank very much all I knew about was the Global Med in Hemet

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
RUHS i think is the name now, used to be RCRMC in MoVal, Level 2 trauma. Inland is level 3 trauma, and is in Wildomar. Global med is the former Hemet Valley Medical Center.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminA

Forum Probie
RUHS i think is the name now, used to be RCRMC in MoVal, Level 2 trauma. Inland is level 3 trauma, and is in Wildomar. Global med is the former Hemet Valley Medical Center.
Is trauma a common call for Hemet? Or is it rather rare. Thank you for the further information about the Specialties.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Is trauma a common call for Hemet? Or is it rather rare. Thank you for the further information about the Specialties.
Tons of auto-peds, knife and gun club stuff. The gang wars of the early 2010s have slowed down. But I would say yes, traumas are common.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminA

Forum Probie
Tons of auto-peds, knife and gun club stuff. The gang wars of the early 2010s have slowed down. But I would say yes, traumas are common.
Is it hard to get a 911 shift with AMR/Hemet? Or is it pretty easy to land one/Cover consistently?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is it hard to get a 911 shift with AMR/Hemet? Or is it pretty easy to land one/Cover consistently?
if you are on an ALS unit with a medic then you are on a 911 shift as all of the paramedic units are a mix of 911/ALS IFT.

If you are on a BLS unit with another EMT then you will only being doing BLS level transfers.

Usually it’s not difficult to get 911 shifts there. There are times where it may be more difficult than others depending on PTO requests, LOAs, compliance, and some other factors. During the peak of the pandemic it was next to impossible to get shifts as call volumes were way down and units were being browned out.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminA

Forum Probie
if you are on an ALS unit with a medic then you are on a 911 shift as all of the paramedic units are a mix of 911/ALS IFT.

If you are on a BLS unit with another EMT then you will only being doing BLS level transfers.

Usually it’s not difficult to get 911 shifts there. There are times where it may be more difficult than others depending on PTO requests, LOAs, compliance, and some other factors. During the peak of the pandemic it was next to impossible to get shifts as call volumes were way down and units were being browned out.
Okay that makes a lot of sense. My apologies for the 21 questions. Thank you.