Has anyone successfully gone back to work after a laminectomy?

BLS1994

Forum Ride Along
Long story short I have two herniated disc in the lower lumbar. The injuries did not occur at work but I’m sure working in this field didn’t help. I’m going to physical therapy and with my care team we all agreed that surgery might be the route to go. Has anybody successfully gone back to work in this field after a laminectomy? I work in the ER and I have been contemplating going back to a truck after the surgery if I improve. I know it’s not the smartest idea but I need to work and as we all know there’s unlimited overtime in
EMS.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Why would you do that to your body? You only have one, and it’s only a matter of time before you exasperate the injury.

why not find another job in a clinical setting if you’re looking for a change of scenery?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
L4/L5 laminectomy in my early 30’s here. Did research on average recovery time pre-op and found most to be ~6 month mark -/+.

I was fortunate enough to have a solid fitness regimen prior to the injury, and was back to full duty roughly 2 months post-op.

From what I gathered I was more the exception than the rule, and I don’t know what your lifestyle is like now. 26 is awful young to have sustained such a debilitating injury, as was I.

All that said, it can be done, but having an exit plan as mentioned above is not a terrible idea. Also, the plenty of overtime in EMS comment is a cautionary one, IMO. GL

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't have personal experience with a laminectomy, but I know what it's like to deal with back problems in EMS and be faced with the decisions of whether or not to have back surgery. I badly herniated two discs in the military and when I got out, had the bright idea to give a career in EMS a try. My symptoms were pretty bad the whole time I worked ground EMS and immediately improved once I got off a ground ambulance and started weight training. Many years later I still have symptoms but they are very manageable with exercise and keeping my weight down and avoiding certain jarring, high-impact activities like running. My philosophy is as long as I can deal with it on my own, I always have surgery as an option, but once I have it done, I can't have it un-done. With a laminectomy, most people have at least some improvement in their symptoms, but for many the improvement is minimal and a few actually get worse.

I would, at a minimum, talk to at least two surgeons and PT's and try to get a realistic idea - given an honest assessment of your own fitness level and weight and motivation - of what you should expect your course to be with conservative therapy vs. with surgery, and how likely you are to ever be able to safely work in EMS again.

To be blunt: If you are young and have not yet invested much time in this field, I would look for something else to do, whether you decide to have surgery or not. EMS is inherently a back-unfriendly environment, and "unlimited overtime" at 1.5x BLS ambulance rates is not worth your health. You can find something else that you enjoy that pays in 40 hours what you'd need to work 60 hours as an EMT to make, and is a lot easier on your back. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BLS1994

Forum Ride Along
Why would you do that to your body? You only have one, and it’s only a matter of time before you exasperate the injury.

why not find another job in a clinical setting if you’re looking for a change of scenery?
I know I’ve contemplated my options. It’s a bummer because I was all set to start medic school in January. I could go back to nursing school but that’s back breaking work (obviously not like EMS). There’s always respiratory as well.