Has anyone done a group interview for a ambulance compnay

EMSRicketts23

Forum Ride Along
Was wondering if anyone has done a group interview for ambulance company? Was trying to figure out alittle more on what to except from a group interview? Anything will help thank you for your time :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Do you mean a panel interview? Multiple people interviewing a single candidate.

It's not all that different than a regular interview. Introduce yourself to each person individually, make eye contact with everyone, but focus most of your attention to the person who asked the question. Everyone is sir or ma'am. Don't give them standard answers, answer their questions truthfully not how you think they want them answered.

I had a 5 person panel for paramedic school and a 6 person panel for my EMT-I 911 job.

Group interview infers a group of candidates being interviewed at the same time. Your never going to see interviews like this in the EMS world.

OP
OP
E

EMSRicketts23

Forum Ride Along
No.. More than one EMT being interviewed at the same time.. My interview email asked me to respond if I'm going so I'm assuming it a group interview..

OP
OP
E

EMSRicketts23

Forum Ride Along
I've heard of a couple company that have been doing group interviews because they are so low staffed on employees..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Never heard of it in EMS.

Sounds shady but that's just me. Good providers aren't just warm bodies.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
This doesn't happen to be for bowers or pacific ambulance does it? They invited me to a group interview, it seemed really sketchy so I didn't even go.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Never heard of it in EMS.

Sounds shady but that's just me. Good providers aren't just warm bodies.

True but "warm bodies" can always surprise us and rise to the calling.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Not for an ambulance company, but for PA school I know they do group interviews. With a panel interviewing 5-10 applicants.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Usually in a group interview the group is given a task. The outcome of the task is irrelevant. What they are looking for is an individual (or individuals) to take the lead and guide the group in completing the task. They might give the group a list of items then tell the group they can only keep ten of the items and will be stranded on an island. The group has to pick ten items and the interviewers look to see who takes the lead (or possibly who follows the leader depending on what they are looking for). This type of interview is an easy way of sifting out a few "good" candidates when there is a very large number of applicants and interviewing each would be too time consuming. Usually the best in a group are invited back for a more formal interview.

Nerdy66

Forum Ride Along
I have interviewed with several ems providers and never heard of group interviews. I agree that it seems a little shady.

rbromme

Forum Crew Member
No.. More than one EMT being interviewed at the same time.. My interview email asked me to respond if I'm going so I'm assuming it a group interview..

We have a hiring process where 20 - 30 candidates will be brought in for a session. Four practical stations are used and each candidate will go through each one ,take a written test and a verbal interview based of standard questions. You do each part yourself, but it is much faster and easier to do a large number of applicants. Afterwards all of the staff involved get together and discuss each person and decided as a group who to hire.