Hanging up the flightsuit

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Well the time has come to hang up the old helmet and flight suit. I have taken a job (most likely my last job) as a Career EMS Supervisor / Lieutenant with one of the local county government start up systems. This opportunity was unexpected, but presented itself at just the right time, and the offer and benefits package made it a no brainer. I will be coming in on basically the ground level, so I can build the position into what I/my other co-workers want vs. stepping into an already defined job and the upward growth potential as the system scales is truly going to be unlimited. The county will also pay for 100% of tuition costs for advanced degrees if they are applicable to your field.

I'm going to be sad to leave the industry and will miss taking care of critical care patients, but this is a no brainer move for my family and I. Safe flights and tailwinds my HEMS brothers!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Congrats, man. I hope it works out well for you. I wouldn’t mind segueing into a critical care educator role in 10 years or so, give or take.

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Congrats, man. I hope it works out well for you. I wouldn’t mind segueing into a critical care educator role in 10 years or so, give or take.

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I would have loved to get into something like that as well. Unfortunately, there aren’t many opportunities like that in my area and the pipeline for promotional opportunities within my program pretty much depend on you living in Pittsburgh. My wife doesn’t want to move so I jumped at this.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Good luck. I still really enjoyed HEMS when I left so it wasn't easy for me, but ultimately was a great decision. I'm sure the same will be true for you.

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Good luck. I still really enjoyed HEMS when I left so it wasn't easy for me, but ultimately was a great decision. I'm sure the same will be true for you.
Yup, completely agree. I love the job and my company, unfortunate I’m just plateaued and there isn’t any more upward mobility. My family and what’s best for our future take precedence, so it makes it a little easier knowing it’s the best choice for us.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Congrats! A very difficult decision I am sure. I am avoiding growing up and having to make that call ha