Handtevy question

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Really a two part questions. Does handtevy method for peds dosing have an et tube size component. Also what method do people use for sizing other than the browslow tape.

I've heard of the age/4 + 4, but wondering what else is out there.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For pedi tubes I've heard the size of their pinky finger or the size of their nare as additional ways of measuring the ET tube.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
(Age/4) + 3 cuffed tubes
(Age/4) + 4 uncuffed tubes

Most accurate method out there for peds.......

TomB

Forum Captain
"I'm great at math. I'm terrible at math during a code." - Peter Antevy, M.D.

PBavaro

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys,

I actually work for Dr. Antevy and the Handtevy System. I am also a Firefighter/Paramedic down here in South Florida.

To answer your question
Really a two part questions. Does handtevy method for peds dosing have an et tube size component. Also what method do people use for sizing other than the browslow tape.

I've heard of the age/4 + 4, but wondering what else is out there.

The Handtevy System does actually provide for ET Tube sizes for all age groups. The Handtevy System is much more than just the Handtevy Method (The hand counting method for the 8 most commonly used drugs in a pedi emergency). We actually customize medication guides for YOUR department and YOUR protocols. Every medication, concentration, and back-up drug that you carry is actually dosed for you in the mL dose essentially eliminating all aspects of math. We also customize whichever airway equipment your department uses and size it for you in the medication guides as well. For instance, if you use ET Tubes, King Tubes, and I-gels in your department you will have all 3 of those listed on each page of the guide and have it already sized for you. This is the same with your electrical equipment. All your joule settings are there for you!

Now instead of arriving on scene, pulling out a tape (measuring the wrong way.... we've all seen it before), finding the patients weight and which medications you need to use, and then converting mG to mL (with a high possibility of error due to the stressful environment of a pedi emergency) you are now able to begin treatment enroute to the scene. Most calls typically come in with a patients age. Knowing the patients age allows you to quickly figure out that a 3 year old weighs 15kg. This allows you to turn to your 3 year old page in your medication guide and begin a treatment process of what medications you are going to be giving, how much, and in a timely manner. When the patient has been down for 5 minutes already, the last thing you want to be doing is wasting time figuring out what you need to be doing on scene.

If you have any questions or want to learn more feel free to send me an email. I will be happy to share all the information you need about the Handtevy System. Pbavaro@handtevy.com