Had to write this call down

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ok this just makes me shake my head and go "really?"

Dispatched priority 1 for abdominal pain. At about 1130

Get there. Get in the house round 3 very tight corners and a long skinny hallway. And we find out patient. 53 y.o male. Approximately 400 pounds 7ft tall. All the weight mostly in the abdomen area. Looking like the guy from D12.

d12rs950covernolg605580.jpg

They could be twins. ANYWAY...

The pt states and cries hysterically "My stommaccch its locked up. I cant move it. It's locked. Pleasse give me something!"

PD enters the room ( Which is about 8ft by 10ft. And his bed was about 6ft by 7ft) and exclaims very loudly "WOW Is your stomach normally this big?" *Facepalm*

All vitals are stable. He is tender in all quadrants. Rigid and bloated in the middle of RUQ and LUQ.

So we get the stair chair because there is no way we can get the stretcher back there. We make it to the narrow hall way. He rips the straps off and starts throwing up on my FTO's pants and says "oh must of been the burrito I ate this morning"....He then stands up and tries to lay on the floor. And succeeds despite our best efforts to plead with him not to get on the floor. The hallway was so narrow that we ended up getting a sheet under him and dragging him into the open because we couldnt get on either side of him. And of course at this time he looses his pants because of course he decided no to wear underwear or a belt.

Get him onto the stretcher. Iv established Zofran and Fent given. Get him to the hospital. After all that. Pt refuses to sign off paper work and says he never said he wanted to go to the hospital and that he would see us in court.

YUP. I don't even know what to think about that.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Write it just like that. Just leave out the D12, and police part. Just write what happens on the call. Can't do anymore than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
And some days, you just love your job...

Way to go, uh, dragging him out of his pants, kidnapping him and generally causing him 14 kinds of troubles.

:)

Can't save 'em all. ;)

Asimurk

Forum Captain
"My stommaccch its locked up. I cant move it. It's locked. Pleasse give me something!"

Sounds like consent to me.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
He told us which hospital to go to! We said "sir we need to get you to the hospital so they can get your pain under control. Which one would u like to go to?" He then said "this one" we said "which one?" He said "this one" sooo that sounds like consent to me. His thing was he said he wasn't paying for it.

Its funny that pts think if they refuse to sign the HIPPA they can't be billed.

We have 4 ems workers and 2 PD saying he wanted to go. I am not worried about that.

It was just one of those calls I had to tell someone. Lol

And HotelCo I did leave that out in my run report lol

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
In America spilling hot coffee on yourself can end up in a court room...

But I still say... I doubt it :)

Um no where on that cup of coffee say that it was hot. How did she know that if she spilled it on herself that she would get burned?? :p

And ya brown I doubt the whole thing was just crazy.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It sounds like he just wanted an excuse to get out of the bill.

I doubt it will see a court room Brown.

Chanda

Forum Ride Along
Having worked at McDonalds Brown can say fosho that their coffee is way too hot!

I've worked there too and it sure is!! lol..

~and Im apparently gonna have to work on my manners and self-control b/c if I had been there and seen the pants of that oversized dude come down while dragging his butt out after all that, I would probably have lost it! I would be stuck in the middle of being mad as ____ & laughing my butt off.. ;)

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
I've worked there too and it sure is!! lol..

~and Im apparently gonna have to work on my manners and self-control b/c if I had been there and seen the pants of that oversized dude come down while dragging his butt out after all that, I would probably have lost it! I would be stuck in the middle of being mad as ____ & laughing my butt off.. ;)

Omg yes! That was exactly where I was stuck at. It was a middle of "are u :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing kidding me" and "lmao only in EMS"

Sasha

Forum Chief
To put this bluntly... grow up.

You are going to see patients at private and vulnerable times. Don't shatter their trust and your professionalism by laughing at them during that time.

Laugh after... but patients lose their pants, so what. Yeah it sucks, but you shouldn't even flinch.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
To put this bluntly... grow up.

You are going to see patients at private and vulnerable times. Don't shatter their trust and your professionalism by laughing at them during that time.

Laugh after... but patients lose their pants, so what. Yeah it sucks, but you shouldn't even flinch.

Um who was this directed towards?

I would never laugh at my patients in front of them. We did everything we could to get him to the hospital and out of pain. Yea looking back it was a crazy call, but I am nothing but caring and professional towards them.

Sasha

Forum Chief
the person above you

Chanda

Forum Ride Along
the person above you

Well you obviously took that in that wrong way but its cool. Chill your nerves. I was referring to the situation NOT that I would have laughed in FRONT of the person... Im sure there has been a time where afterwards you thought "wtf just happened"? And if not you need to learn to relax! Being uptight all the time just gets on peoples nerves. I assume it shouldn't need to be said to never make a patient feel uncomfortable and I would never do that. So once more just to be sure we're clear, I was in fact meaning if I had been in that situation looking back on it as she was, that had been my thoughts.. better?