Getting hired without your state card?

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Hello, I just got my national medic cert recently (2 days ago to be exact! :)) and I was wondering is it possible or has anyone ever got hired as a medic without their state card? Granted with the promise that you'll get it very soon. Meanwhile, anything I should be doing while waiting for my state card (instead of trying to apply everywhere). Thanks

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello, I just got my national medic cert recently (2 days ago to be exact! :)) and I was wondering is it possible or has anyone ever got hired as a medic without their state card? Granted with the promise that you'll get it very soon. Meanwhile, anything I should be doing while waiting for my state card (instead of trying to apply everywhere). Thanks
Every state is different and you didnt list yours. Ill go out in a limb and say its California?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Colorado offers a temporary paramedic cert for people waiting on test results. It's good for up to 6 months. I know some places will hire medics with the temporary certs, but some won't.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
yes it's possible; you say you have your NREMT-P and would need to apply for reciprocity from the state. It's mostly a paperwork think.

Best advice? ask the agencies that you want to apply to if they will hire you with your national card before you get a state card

CGMedic16

Forum Probie
Probably not if you are in fact located in CA (cannot speak for other states) but......especially here in CA. Notice that pretty much all position offerings have a standard list of requirements before they will even consider you.....medical examiner cert, ambulance driver cert, state card, and then you will have to get your County Accreditation through your employer. Usually this all consists of protocol
and skills exams and a mandatory County Orientation...as well as your employer will require you to do FTO time. It's a lot of work but remember the importance and great weight of responsibility you now carry as a Paramedic. Good luck! Congrats on passing your NRP!