For the more seasoned EMTs, what does a new EMTB do that bothers you?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Back home, if a BLS called it was for a purpose and they had an idea of what ALS brought to the call for interventions.
I think that's a fair statement.

I assisted in EMT class last week, doing scenarios, and for a 80 year old male with chest pain, I was shocked by how many students didn't request ALS immediately. I am not saying you should always request ALS, but there are certain cases where you should be calling ALS based on complaint, as you can always cancel them later. Know when you need them, know what they can do, and know why you are calling them.
Here, it's call for a magical assessment, x-ray vision, and a magic 8 ball prognosticator to show what is secretly wrong (but quietly shift the blame, just in case the patient has a stage 9 undiagnosed malignant explosive tumor of some sort.)
far too many EMTs are grossly medic dependent; far too many paramedics consider EMTs to be useless, and feel they can't function without unless a paramedic is there. Outside of a cardiac monitor, an ALS assessment and a BLS assessment are nearly identical.
If we run 20 minutes hot to get somewhere, yeah, maybe not just to assess someone they think is fine and they're delaying transporting to the hospital on...
Why are they not working their way to the truck and starting their trip to the hospital? sounds like a failure of the EMS system.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Not listening to patients. I've seen new emts just ignore patients statements or what there saying As if the patient doesn't know what going on

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Not listening to patients. I've seen new emts just ignore patients statements or what there saying As if the patient doesn't know what going on

I'd put that at or near the top of the list for clinicians in general.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
iu

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I'm not as good with cut and paste on multiple small replies as some of you are... :)

It's definitely an interesting system here, one that is actually very good - overall, probably one of the top 10 in the world, but has some peculiarities. Previously, negative feedback was heavy, more punitive, and engendered a culture of fear and covering one's butt more than anything else. That's slowly changing into a more coaching/ mentoring manner, but cultures change slowly and old fears remain.

The local population has it's quirks for sure, and periodically tends to have a decreased opinion of some providers based upon nationality or accent.

There is a dynamic change in newer providers who are heavy "medic" dependent and it shows. Most of the new people have little time in EMS prior to here, and although they good through a good training program do tend to have challenges in being someone used to following orders to being "the man" in charge and making decisions on their own. This also tends to lead people into being cookbook providers who are going through a mental checklist without really considering why, or thinking. The system is growing and expanding, so a fair number of newer people in the mix. For cookbook examples, why the f*** are you doing a 12 lead on 10-14 year olds who are having a coughing fit during/ immediately after a dust storm... well, they have chest pain. Uhm, when they cough, or do you think the 12 year old girl is having a heart attack? - Discomfort between waist and forehead, 12ld (check), regardless of etiology or being hit with a cricket bat midsternally.