For the love of God...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Or at least Veneficus the great. :)

Rant on.

Please read studies and books outside of your primary medical(nursing or healthcare) specialty!!!

Today, I am reading anesthesia studies on MODS in neonates. They detail that once bowel necrosis sets in from ascitis, it not only worsens prognosis, but requires bowel resection if there is any chance to survive.

In less than 100 pages into a surgical textbook, it details the importance of emergent laparotomy with delayed closure to relieve abd compartment syndrome from ascitis to prevent necrotic bowel in the exact same patient population!!!

It really is not hard to figure out.

If medicine is too big to remember and for one person be good at all of it, somebody else may know the solution to the problem you face!

Ask around.

Rant off.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Or at least Veneficus the great. :)

Rant on.

Please read studies and books outside of your primary medical(nursing or healthcare) specialty!!!

Today, I am reading anesthesia studies on MODS in neonates. They detail that once bowel necrosis sets in from ascitis, it not only worsens prognosis, but requires bowel resection if there is any chance to survive.

In less than 100 pages into a surgical textbook, it details the importance of emergent laparotomy with delayed closure to relieve abd compartment syndrome from ascitis to prevent necrotic bowel in the exact same patient population!!!

It really is not hard to figure out.

If medicine is too big to remember and for one person be good at all of it, somebody else may know the solution to the problem you face!

Ask around.

Rant off.

Ever felt like you should have gone to med school?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I have a friend whose son is beginning the downward spiral from CDG. Now I know how he is going to die, and how close he is. Every day, his poor belly is double the size.

Ugh.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Education for the sake of education?

:unsure:

COMMUNIST PROPAGANDA!!!​

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Presuming we are not all the lowest common denominator, more education is good, because it broadens our knowledge so we can know when we are getting out of our depth, or the true(er) seriousness of a condition, even if we cannot act due to protocols/scope.
We need the wisdom to know where the lines are drawn, though. Not to be a rule-touting martinet, but scope and protocols are necessary and, by and large, beneficial to the patients, unless the rules have been monkeyed with too much.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ever felt like you should have gone to med school?

HA HA HA HA.....if only we truly knew the ones who sat behind these words on a screen.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
big wink

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Go to medical school! Now!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Haha nice. How long does Vene have left till he is an MD?

Like 30 weeks?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

Professional education isn't so much about knowing everything there is to know about your subject. No one person could possibly know everything there is to know about medicine, law, etc. It's more about laying a firm foundation that will: A) tip you off that there's something else you should be looking at and; B) giving you an idea where to start looking for it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wow endorsing something so dangerous. EMS people will be killing people by doing this. I am shocked that you would endorse such a dangerous idea when you oppose something like EMS and guns which if harmful would most likely only be harmful to the person carrying as all patients would steal the guns. After reading a few sentences you would have uneducated emt's trying advanced procedures on patients. Wow I am appalled at such reckless reasoning.

:rofl:

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Wow endorsing something so dangerous. EMS people will be killing people by doing this. I am shocked that you would endorse such a dangerous idea when you oppose something like EMS and guns which if harmful would most likely only be harmful to the person carrying as all patients would steal the guns. After reading a few sentences you would have uneducated emt's trying advanced procedures on patients. Wow I am appalled at such reckless reasoning.

:rofl:

I didn't say do the procedure.

But knowing that there is an alternative, even if it requires another provider outside of the realm of one specific field, seems like a better approach than a "go it alone strategy," especially when the results are rather poor.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I didn't say do the procedure.

But knowing that there is an alternative, even if it requires another provider outside of the realm of one specific field, seems like a better approach than a "go it alone strategy," especially when the results are rather poor.

But if you have it you are more likely to use it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
But....but...but...if you read studies and texts out side of your specialty you have to acknowledge that someone in another specialty may be better at something than someone in your specialty is.

It seems like instead of cooperation there is more branching out of existing specialties into other specialties.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
But....but...but...if you read studies and texts out side of your specialty you have to acknowledge that someone in another specialty may be better at something than someone in your specialty is.

It seems like instead of cooperation there is more branching out of existing specialties into other specialties.

I think the simple term is "ego"

tylerp1

Forum Crew Member
I have to admit that I'm always in awe at my colleagues who blow my mind with what they know. I had a preceptor in school give me a two hour lesson on axis deviation alone. Having gone to college, tutored, and maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.82 (my parents keep asking where the other .18 points went..I tell them girls and booze haha), I can say I know a little bit in both broad and specific topics; Albert Einstein stated it best, "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." I'm always reading anything and everything I can find.

Vene said it best when he says one must read and study in other specialties because, after all, knowledge is power. It doesn't mean I'm going to go surgically amputate a finger because an orthopod simply explained to me how to perform the procedure.

I've always been fond of reading, but I really picked up the pace when an MD told me his best advice for studying in preparation for the MCAT was to be able to read and comprehend material as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
I'm with Veneficus! It never hurt anyone to have a little extra knowledge outside your scope of practice. If anything it helps. Let's face it, in EMS we generally spend a very small amount of time with our pt. (Depending on where you work.) Generally though, maybe 30-45 minutes max. But in that short period of time, we can make dramatic changes in the pt's long term outcome. There's allot that goes on after we drop our patient off at the Emergency Dept. If we have a better understanding of what happens after we leave, we can better prepare the pt for their continued care.

Just because I know how to insert a chest tube doesn't mean I'm going to do it. But if I need to do an IFT for higher level of care on a pt with a chest tube, I'll know how to manage it during transport. Just because I know how to read lab values doesn't mean I'm going to intervene based on those values. But it does give me a better understanding of what's going on with the pt.

You just have to decide if you want to be a "sick person delivery man, aka ambulance driver" or a healthcare professional. If you're the guy that just grabs the packet of paperwork from the nurse, or only gets enough info to complete your PCR, then you will always be the guy that calls it an "O2 stat". It's O2 sat, short for saturation. A better understanding of your patient will never do them harm.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm pretty sure I have an involuntary twitch every time I hear that.