First Responder Confusion

Cory

Forum Captain
I am a little confused as to what exactly the Certified First Responder certification entails. Forst of all, is this a national government-supported certification, like EMT, or is it hosted by ARC only, or both? Is it recognized as a healthcare professional certification, or a lay certification (if that makes sense:unsure:)? Is there a national test for this course, and if so, is it 18+ to test?

What exactly is the scope of practice for a CFR?

Would you assume that local FD's would let someone who has this training do any kind of voulnteer work or assistance? I am not 18, but I have been trying to find a way to help in the local EMS community (of course, without getting in the way, thats the last thing I want to do). It's not so easy to do around here, since this is such a highly populated area, and the FDs are busy and have little time for people who are just trying to get their feet wet.

For personal reasons, I want to have more definitive training than my current CPR/AED-First AID training. I have considered EMT-B courses, but I think the more responsible thing to do is hold of on that until I'm 18. I think CFR would be a great opportunity for me. Has anyone here had this specific training?

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I am also new, so I could be wrong. When I was taken my EMT-B class, I was told that the NREMT has four levels. From the bottom to the top it goes First Responder, EMT-B, EMT-I, to EMT-P. There was a test at the end of my First Responder class and if you did not pass you did not get your certification. Once I completed my First Responder, I took my EMT-B class and it helped me out in the scenarios such as dropping a OPA and NPA, and what nots. It will help you pass your scenarios, well for me it did.

Your CPR class is only a one-day of 8 hours of training. When I took my First Responder, it was over 58 hours of both lab and lecture. It was every Tuesday and Thursday about 5 hours a day for four weeks and two 9-hour Saturday class. So if you really want to know CPR and know it well, take the First Responder class.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
The answer is... it depends.

Is it a National Registry level? Yes. The National Registry currently recognizes five levels of EMS practitioner - First Responder, EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate/85, EMT-Intermediate/99, and EMT-Paramedic. As of sometime in the future, that will be down to four levels - Medical First Responder, EMT, Advanced EMT, and Paramedic.

The major players in the CPR/First Aid business offer First Responder courses. The ARC's course is called "Emergency Response." The NSC's is called First Responder, afaik.

Now, as to whether that certification will be recognized by the state in which you reside, that depends entirely on where you reside. Some states do have MFR-level state certification. Ohio does. So, you would need to find out from the state whether they except the ARC/AHA/NSC/Whatever training for certification.

The scope of practic of a First Responder is not too different from an EMT-B. There are a few exceptions. First Responders are trained to be, well, first responders, who keep the patient stable long enough for the ambulance to arrive. So, their training focuses on immediate, important interventions. In Michigan, where I took my EMT-I course, for example, FR's are not permitted to put anyone on a backboard. In my FR course, I learned how to backboard, but not how to use a traction splint. It depends on the course, the curriculum, and state law.

Minimum age is also up to the state. Though 16 seems to be a common number, you'll have to check with your state's EMS agency to find out exactly what they require.

Hope this hit all the points you were asking about.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I recently took a BLS refresher in MA. The class was mostly First Responders doing their refresher. I am unsure if it was for a state license or for certification, but they were all serious about it.