First CPR Save

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Well, I've run about a half dozen full arrests since I came on the department, and today got to experience the first save.

Got toned out this morning to a "person unconscious" call for a male age 49 with a history of cancer. Got on-scene to find the ambulance parked mid-block, but the entrance to the unit (was a large apartment complex) was around the corner. Ran in to find CPR in progress on the patient and was immediately notified that he was HIV positive as well. Had complained of a sharp chest pain, which dissipated, and then came back 5 minutes later and he went into arrest.

The crew started moving the patient out of the room to the gurney, and I took over ventilation at that point. They had the AED hooked up, but no shock was advised (he had a pretty good rhythm). Got him loaded in the ambulance and continued CPR to the hospital. Got him into the ER, and left him to the crew there, assuming they'd call him within a few minutes. Instead, one of our crew went to watch and came back a minute later to tell us his BP! Needless to say, we were stoked.

Call coulda gone more smoothly as far as certain individuals roles, and we ended up having a pretty long debrief and a full-arrest drill afterwards, but in the end, the patient survived and everyone was happy.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
WAY TO GO, SAFETYPRO! B)

The next 24 hours will be critical in determining if he survives, though.

My very first call as an EMT was "a man down" call. When we arrived, we found two guys from the cable company doing CPR between the vehicle and the snowbank. We got the guy back in the ambulance (he was speaking to us), but he died later that day.

I've done CPR approximately 14 times, and have never had a patient survive more than 24 hours. :(

I've learned to take my victories/saves where I can, so now I count them if they get a chance to say goodbye to their families.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
CONGRATULATIONS SAFETYPRO!!

Keep us informed on how he does.

Chimp

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Last I heard, he was in CCU on a vent and still not conscious. He was down approx. 5 minutes before we got on-scene with some limited bystander CPR.

He was due to go into hospice care for the cancer this week regardless, so I'd say his chances aren't too good. I still can't understand why he wasn't a DNR, but not my decision. We did what we could.

This was my 7th arrest call (1 was a DOA, 1 was a DNR, 1 went into respiratory arrest as we pulled into the ER and the other 4 we worked fully from the scene) on the department and my 8th overall.