Fender Bender

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
so today was my first day driving...i got in a bit of a fender bender in the ambulance( it was a van Ambo) I had just picked up a patient, i was dropping them off at an SNF, as i was turning Right into the lot, there was a car parked near the entrance, I sideswiped it, i immediately parked the Rig in the lot and i went out and there was minor damage to the rig (paint exchange, easlly buffed out) but the owner of the other car, saw the damage and immediately asked me for my insurance so we exchanged info, i saw the damage to his car, a Dent on his Driver side Wheel Well and some pant exchanged.. so i take a few pictures of both vehicles, and he drives off, note my partner had been with the patient this whole time, we drop off the patient to the SNF, and our supervisor comes and inspects the damage to the rig, and tells us to fill out some Paperwork back at the station, after that we run a few more calls. Now im worried about the consequences and whats going to happen.

Note there was no police report taken..

and im pretty sure i was at fault even though i didnt say i was to the Other driver

has anyone been fender bender while on duty? and if so how did you deal with it and what were the consequences ??

it really wasnt a pleasant experience

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No police report tends to mean no insurance payout... which means your company just has to worry about your rig.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Remember... wide turns. If you don't think you're too wide when starting out, then you aren't turning wide enough. Especially when you start driving type 3s (box).

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Remember... wide turns. If you don't think you're too wide when starting out, then you aren't turning wide enough. Especially when you start driving type 3s (box).

Yeah my partner was saying that too, i didnt take it wide enough, i really need to practice on that more

learn from our mistakes right?

and can anyone confirm what linuss said about No Police Report= No Payout?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It depends on how severe the damage is or the driver claims... especially if 'neck pain' develops down the road for the other driver.

I don't know your local laws or your insurance provider, but I DO know that some agencies do require a police report before they pay out to one or both parties in certain circumstances.

Don't take my word as law... I make stuff up in my head a lot.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
It depends on how severe the damage is or the driver claims... especially if 'neck pain' develops down the road for the other driver.

I don't know your local laws or your insurance provider, but I DO know that some agencies do require a police report before they pay out to one or both parties in certain circumstances.

Don't take my word as law... I make stuff up in my head a lot.

Gotcha, well the other driver was Not in the vehicle when it happned, he was in the SNF near the front and he saw what happened i think... or at least heard it...
the vehicle was empty and parked...

any one have any stories to share?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I want to amend my first post-- I said it tends to mean no payout, which is wrong.

I meant to say there's a chance there wont be a payout, but it depends on your insurance companies policies.

Always call police for a report anyhow... covers your back a slight bit more for when the other person denies medical and claims no pain.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Most larger cities will no longer send LEO out for a minor accident. You exchange information and may go to the Police dept. and file a report. I have never seen an insurance company deny a claim from lack of police report. If both parties deny blame, then each insurance company will pay for their own vehicle.

You did right with exchanging information and taking pictures of the damage. But always have a Supervisor come to the scene, before the other vehicle leaves.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Has Anyone Else Been in a Similar Siltation? and if so what were the consequences?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Has Anyone Else Been in a Similar Siltation? and if so what were the consequences?

I got a write-up in my file and the ambo company paid the other driver for the damage with no insurance company involvement. I wasn't even driving but according to policy, I should have been watching out for my partner.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I got a write-up in my file and the ambo company paid the other driver for the damage with no insurance company involvement. I wasn't even driving but according to policy, I should have been watching out for my partner.

Did the Driver also get written up?

im just really worried about getting fired

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
A Maui Story to ease the pain

I'm a tour driver now. An 8 passenger Ford F-250 Luxury Limo Van. The only difference between it and many of the Ambulances I drove is it is actually sprung to provide a comfortable and responsive ride and is far better maintained than anything I ever I drove as a medic!

The round trip on the Hana Rd. is 1,234 curves and 108 one-lane bridges. Tight isn't the word! My first week (remember, been driving for 42 years --learned in NY -- and ambulance 12 years) and I clipped a corner, shredding a fiberglass running board on the rt. side of the vehicle. A week later, I did the same thing, same side, different corner. Got called on the carpet; I was sure my career with these guys was "pau" (Over). The Boss, after seriously questioning his own choice to hire me asked does it make sense to keep me on? After showing appropriate humility I offered to come in the next day and do the repair work myself (maybe not a bad suggestion on your part as well!). When I came in I was brought to the storage area where there were no less than 20 such fiberglass runningboard replacements just waiting for the next crunch...and the next!

If your manager is smart, he knows that YOU are not likely to make the same mistake twice. Now, your job is to turn your paranoia into concentration.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I'm a tour driver now. An 8 passenger Ford F-250 Luxury Limo Van. The only difference between it and many of the Ambulances I drove is it is actually sprung to provide a comfortable and responsive ride and is far better maintained than anything I ever I drove as a medic!

The round trip on the Hana Rd. is 1,234 curves and 108 one-lane bridges. Tight isn't the word! My first week (remember, been driving for 42 years --learned in NY -- and ambulance 12 years) and I clipped a corner, shredding a fiberglass running board on the rt. side of the vehicle. A week later, I did the same thing, same side, different corner. Got called on the carpet; I was sure my career with these guys was "pau" (Over). The Boss, after seriously questioning his own choice to hire me asked does it make sense to keep me on? After showing appropriate humility I offered to come in the next day and do the repair work myself (maybe not a bad suggestion on your part as well!). When I came in I was brought to the storage area where there were no less than 20 such fiberglass runningboard replacements just waiting for the next crunch...and the next!

If your manager is smart, he knows that YOU are not likely to make the same mistake twice. Now, your job is to turn your paranoia into concentration.

Luckly the ambulance had very minimal damage, i told the manager id pay for the damages or id get it fixed but he just replied "we dont do that at this company" anyways its not really the ambulance i was worried about
but the other persons vehicle... im about to call the person who i hit and tell him ill pay out of pocket, but im pretty sure he contacted his insurance already and as well as my company did all the paperwork as well

i just dont know what is coming and i really hate it

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

It has already happened. All of the elements are in their proper place, except for you of course, who is still obsessing. This is a good place to begin practicing getting back on track, which is a skill you must learn to master.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
It has already happened. All of the elements are in their proper place, except for you of course, who is still obsessing. This is a good place to begin practicing getting back on track, which is a skill you must learn to master.

i know it has,i just do not know what punishment i will receive, as im off for the next 2 days(normal off days), i was just wondering if i can get some insight from folks who have gone though the same thing i have?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Luckly the ambulance had very minimal damage, i told the manager id pay for the damages or id get it fixed but he just replied "we dont do that at this company" anyways its not really the ambulance i was worried about
but the other persons vehicle... im about to call the person who i hit and tell him ill pay out of pocket, but im pretty sure he contacted his insurance already and as well as my company did all the paperwork as well

Don't contact anybody but your employer. It is not your responsibility.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
No police report tends to mean no insurance payout... which means your company just has to worry about your rig.

Not true. In california you're not required to get police report for insurance company to pay. Rarely do we ever get police report and insurance companys always pay.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Not true. In california you're not required to get police report for insurance company to pay. Rarely do we ever get police report and insurance companys always pay.

what do you usually do to the employee that is involved in the accident if its a minor one?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
what do you usually do to the employee that is involved in the accident if its a minor one?

Depends on their prior history, and how minor. If first accident, no prior etc just a verbal warning about being more carefull and that would be it.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Depends on their prior history, and how minor. If first accident, no prior etc just a verbal warning about being more carefull and that would be it.

ok because as you probably read in the it was a fender bender with another car
there was a few dents on the car but only some paint on the Ambo

this is my first accident ever...

ill probably get written up but i hope i dont get fired, thats really my worst fear