Fees for 911 being called and fire dept/ambo coming out in chicago.

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
So i woke up in a lot of pain today. fiance was freaking out about it while at work. I was on phone with my dr setting up an appointment for tomorrow and fiance called 911 thinkin that while on my way to kitchen i fell and cracked my head open or something silly like that :rofl:. I got off phone with dr saw a text sayin 911 was called i called fiance said to cancel call that all was fine.

Too late however. FD and Ambo showed up at my door just then.

Whats the fee for them being called out and doing nothing? I know the fees can get high if they are out for a while doin work however this was literally 2 mins. They came made sure it was me that was from the house that was called about and left.

Any ideas? i live in chicago if that means anything.

thanks guys!

Digdugdude

feldy

Forum Captain
911 (medical) calls get cancelled all of the time in my area. If the medics take some information and take your vitals or anything like that, usually there will be a fee for the refusal, and an even larger fee for an AMA (against medical advice) because believe it or not, EMS will charge for contacting a doctor. If they show up and you say "i do not need ems at all" there is no fee.

That is my area and it is up to the medics' clinical judgement as to whether a report needs to be taken or not.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
thanks

for the response feldy. yah nothing was done no info taken or anything like that. I expect some kind of fee for them to come out. however i really hoping its in the 100's rather than the 1000's.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have never heard of billing for a no treatment refusal. And definitely not for a cancellation.

Since you didn't call there would be no reason for you to be billed anyway, I wouldn't expect one at all.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
We don't charge for refusals or cancellations, even though for our refusals we take vitals and take basic info(name, dob, etc). If we don't transport, the patient doesn't get a bill.

I work for a private 3rd service, so everything is about paperwork.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you had called you might be looking at a bill. I doubt it with the way you described it though,

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with your girlfriend.