Fatal EMS wreck in Charleston, SC

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Very sad!

Here is another, more detalied article....

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/25/ambulance_crashes_sedan_calhoun_street/

The Charleston County Sheriff’s Office said the Pontiac Grand Prix sedan that the student was driving and the Charleston County EMS ambulance were headed in the same direction on Calhoun Street around 9:15 a.m. The ambulance was driving toward King Street and turned into the opposite lane to drive around traffic. The student tried to turn left onto Pitt Street, directly in its path.

The sheriff said motorists should stop where they are when they hear emergency vehicles are coming through.
--so much for educating people to pull over....thats what we need...more people just stopping dead in front of us!

He said his paramedics undergo special driver training before they can operate ambulances. They also are required to become familiar with the ambulances under normal traffic conditions before they can drive on an emergency call.

Warren said each county has its own policies regarding emergency responses, but in general ambulances are required to obey all traffic laws and do not automatically have the right of way, he said. “You can’t ever assume you have it. The law always places the burden of responsibility on emergency responders.”

Dorchester County’s rules require ambulances to stop at every intersection and to stay within 10 mph of the posted speed limit, Warren said.

certguy

Forum Captain
My thoughts and prayers are with the crew and the girl's family . Does anyone know if the crew had thier siren on ? Fire and EMS here both do " silent " code 3's at times . This is a bad and dangerous habit . If there was no siren and she didn't check her mirrors , that could account for the left turn , or she could've tried to clear the intersection not realizing where they were . It'll be interesting to see what the investigation comes up with .

DID THAT SHERIFF PUT HIS FOOT IN HIS MOUTH OR WHAT ? WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT PEOPLE PULLING TO THE RIGHT ?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Dorry for the losses and alike as usual will keep the family and crews in my prayers.

This scenario is so full of holes. Apparently, the other car pulled left in front of the emergency vehicle, or basically "did not yield for an emergency vehicle".

I am sure there will be a formal investigation and we will see all the faults.

Again, another tragedy awhile running with l/s.

R/r 911

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
It is sad! EMS accidents are very common in our country and I really wish I was in a position to educate staff/public or prevent this accidents.

Like Rid said, another incident of running with l/s...

The medics and the family of those involved are in my thoughts.