Fat stigma?

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
Hi all. Wondering how overweight EMTs are perceived by others in the industry...

I'm in excellent health (just had a physical, complete with bloodwork). My cholesterol levels are where they're supposed to be, blood glucose is perfect, blood pressure and heart rate are perfect, I can run a mile in 11 minutes without feeling like my heart is going to explode, and I'm stronger than the average 26-year-old female... But I'm fat. Aside from being pretty, I'm in great shape.

Is my weight going to affect how I'm perceived by my future EMS co-workers, could it keep me from getting a job? Does my weight really matter if I'm able to perform my EMT duties effectively?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Whats your definition of fat? If you are seriously obese, stink and can't do the job it will hurt your chances of getting a job. If you are overweight and clean but still able to do the job some might give you a chance.

Best advise is to get on an exercise program. An 11 minute mile is pretty slow. A number of places that do physical tests before hiring require an 8 minute mile.

Hope you the best.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
You might be healthy now

But, the extra weight IS putting stress on your cardiovascular system.

you WILL develop high blood pressure eventually

you are at higher risk for heart disease, and diabetes.

Your body cannot deal with stress as effectively as your not so large counterparts.

Not to mention carrying around the extra weight on your body frame will cause back problems, knee problems etc, which will only be accelerated by working in EMS, where you will be lifting daily.

Get on a good exercise program, change the way you eat, and eat less of it... loose the weight and you will feel better.. I can PROMISE you that... plus you will add several years to your life.

OP
OP
snizzle.snoozle

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
Whats your definition of fat? If you are seriously obese, stink and can't do the job it will hurt your chances of getting a job. If you are overweight and clean but still able to do the job some might give you a chance.

Best advise is to get on an exercise program. An 11 minute mile is pretty slow. A number of places that do physical tests before hiring require an 8 minute mile.

Hope you the best.

Well, you can see me in my user pic. That was taken very recently. I don't think an 11 minute mile is too bad, seeing as I'm not a serious runner. Could be better though... I love running and I can't wait until the 2 feet of snow we have is melted so that I can get back outside!

Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
snizzle.snoozle

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
You might be healthy now

But, the extra weight IS putting stress on your cardiovascular system.

you WILL develop high blood pressure eventually

you are at higher risk for heart disease, and diabetes.

Your body cannot deal with stress as effectively as your not so large counterparts.

Not to mention carrying around the extra weight on your body frame will cause back problems, knee problems etc, which will only be accelerated by working in EMS, where you will be lifting daily.

Get on a good exercise program, change the way you eat, and eat less of it... loose the weight and you will feel better.. I can PROMISE you that... plus you will add several years to your life.

Yeh, of course. I am well aware of everything you wrote. Trust me. As a fat girl, I get reminded of it every single day of my life. As an EMT student, I am well aware of what constitutes a healthy body. I'm on an exercise program currently.But, it's not like I'm going to shrink overnight if I want to lose weight in a healthy way.

Just wondering if it could keep me from getting a job or a volunteer position, regardless of my ability to execute tasks.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi all. Wondering how overweight EMTs are perceived by others in the industry...

I'm in excellent health (just had a physical, complete with bloodwork). My cholesterol levels are where they're supposed to be, blood glucose is perfect, blood pressure and heart rate are perfect, I can run a mile in 11 minutes without feeling like my heart is going to explode, and I'm stronger than the average 26-year-old female... But I'm fat. Aside from being pretty, I'm in great shape.

Is my weight going to affect how I'm perceived by my future EMS co-workers, could it keep me from getting a job? Does my weight really matter if I'm able to perform my EMT duties effectively?

Overall health is the important thing, there are varying sizes, people with different body structure. You seem to be on the right track.

Another thing who cares how your percieved, being comfortable with who you are is far more important, ignorant people are everywhere and EMS is no exception.

Once you show the ability to do your job no one is going to care at least they shouldnt and if they do no sweat off your back.

You will be fine.

And good luck to you.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeh, of course. I am well aware of everything you wrote. Trust me. As a fat girl, I get reminded of it every single day of my life. As an EMT student, I am well aware of what constitutes a healthy body. I'm on an exercise program currently.But, it's not like I'm going to shrink overnight if I want to lose weight in a healthy way.

Just wondering if it could keep me from getting a job or a volunteer position, regardless of my ability to execute tasks.

Enough with the fat slamming already. It's not okay to keep insulting yourself. Doesn't say much for your self esteem. If you don't like your weight...lose some. Otherwise, accept it, be happy and get on with your plans. Good luck. :)

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
The ugly truth sport is this:

Most services that you will be applying to and ultimately working for are not going to care all they want is a cert, a palpable pulse and up-to-date cards.

Most of your co-workers are not going to care as long as you can do the job and not get them or yourself hurt in the process.

You will just be like 65-70% of the existing work force. Which sadly is a reflection of the weight trends seen in the general population.

On the other hand............

Your back might care, since the increased pressure on the support structures of the spine, low frequency vibrations from the ride and awkward positions you will will have to take (because of the job not your size) to move patients will more than likely lead to an injury.

Your heart, kidneys, pancreas and joints will care as they will all be under and increased workload leading to an early demise.

Your future spouse and family will care since a broken mommy isn't nearly as fun as an intact mommy.

But here is the interesting thing => all of that is within your domain to fix.........if you so desire. So rather than rationalize your way into self acceptance, make a decision to be what you are at whatever size you are; focus on becoming the best most competent medical professional you can and be happy.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Weight challenged not fat!!

There are plenty of weight challenged people in EMS.

medic417

The Truth Provider
There are plenty of weight challenged people in EMS.

Forget that pc crap. Fat is fat. If you are grossly obese you are very fat. If you are a little over weight you are plump but still fat. If we call it like it is perhaps it would motivate people to make the needed changes rather than finding some kinder gentler term that makes a person feel good about themselves.

In EMS, in fact in any health profession, there is no excuse for not trying to correct the problem because we have seen what the future holds for us if we remain fat. Yes there is the rare illness that leads to a person not being able to control weight but that is the rare exception not the rule.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
where is the compassion??

Forget that pc crap. Fat is fat. If you are grossly obese you are very fat. If you are a little over weight you are plump but still fat. If we call it like it is perhaps it would motivate people to make the needed changes rather than finding some kinder gentler term that makes a person feel good about themselves.

In EMS, in fact in any health profession, there is no excuse for not trying to correct the problem because we have seen what the future holds for us if we remain fat. Yes there is the rare illness that leads to a person not being able to control weight but that is the rare exception not the rule.

Man thats harsh! Where is your compassion? Do you call all mentally challenged people retards then?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Man thats harsh! Where is your compassion? Do you call all mentally challenged people retards then?

The compassion by making easier to accept rather than doing something about the fat has led to the crisis we see in the USA.

And you never disrespect the mentally challenged. They can do nothing for their problem but do the best they can do based on their developmental status.

Huge difference, probably 99.9% of fat people can do something about it, so do not even try this crap.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Fatso, fatty

The compassion by making easier to accept rather than doing something about the fat has led to the crisis we see in the USA.

And you never disrespect the mentally challenged. They can do nothing for their problem but do the best they can do based on their developmental status.

Huge difference, probably 99.9% of fat people can do something about it, so do not even try this crap.

I do not disagree that obesity is a problem. However, calling someone Fat is offensive and degrading. It is very negative and most overweight people already have a low self esteem. Insulting them isn't going to help solve this problem.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You would have gotten much more support on the EMS forums if you had declared yourself to be a pot smoking, narcotic popper who has at least one felony conviction (preferrably something that can not be expunged) and a few DUIs along with several speeding tickets on your record.

Seriously though, take this opportunity to start a new health venture along with a new career. Whatever extra weight you are carrying on your body can be added to that of the patient and that puts a strain on your frame. It sets you up for injury as well as your partner if the injury happens while doing a patient carry. Of course, the patient might also be injured as well. Now is the time to get the weight off because as each year passes, it will be more difficult as your metabolism changes.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

Wow that was inspirational.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I do not disagree that obesity is a problem. However, calling someone Fat is offensive and degrading. It is very negative and most overweight people already have a low self esteem. Insulting them isn't going to help solve this problem.

How's calling someone fat any different from calling them obese? I could understand if medic417 had called them cow-like or whaleish... but fat?? Is calling someone an "obese@ss" any less offensive then calling them a "Fat@ss"?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
To be honest I'm a bit curious what the OP's body fat percentage actually is; the picture she referred to looks about like the average person. So...have to wonder a bit about the motivation and cause behind this. Or I'm just wrong. Whichever...

If you already have a fitness and/or diet plan to lose weight and improve your physical condition (an 11-minute mile really isn't anything that special) then stick with it and evaluate how well it's working in a couple of months. If it isn't, then it's time to change it, and you may want to consider talking to a trainer or look at what your various options are. There are multiple reputable sources online for this type of thing.

As far as how people in EMS will perceive you; to a certain extent no differently than how the average person will. This will vary and to a certain extent depend on how overweight you are, but as long as you are truly capable of performing ALL parts of your job at the same level as your peers then it won't be a huge issue. If you can't is when it will really matter.

The majority of services have little to no physical requirements for the job; most center around being able to perform your duties, and some will have a rudimentary physical agility test which usually amount to being able to pick up various weights.

Anyway, best of luck.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

That is something that totally depends on personal opinion. The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance is of the opinion that using fat is better than using obese and overweight. Their reasoning is that because obese and overweight sound more clinical, people feel they can be more judgmental when they use those terms.

Everyone has some fat on them, but a large % of people have too much, so really over-fat would probably be the most accurate term, rather than "fat".

Before you jump on me, I am a former fat chick, and I don't mean chubby. I had to loose 40% of my bodyweight to get into the normal BMI range. I really did not see myself accurately, and looking back at pictures of myself the truth is I. Was. Fat. I didn't realize it, I was mollycoddled and what I really needed was a swift kick in my large @ss.

How's calling someone fat any different from calling them obese? I could understand if medic417 had called them cow-like or whaleish... but fat?? Is calling someone an "obese@ss" any less offensive then calling them a "Fat@ss"?

This.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Back on topic, as long as you are able to perform your job, carrying extra weight is not likely to cause problems with your co-workers.

Granted, you may run into the opposite problem. I lost a lot of weight and have increased my strength. Before I lost weight people rarely questioned my ability to lift, now the FFs insist on doing it for me all the freaking time....men....:rolleyes:

If you can't bend over to intubate, they may have some issues....From looking at your picture I don't think this is you, so you should be fine.

That being said, it is really easy to put on weight working for a private company. You sit between calls, and most people don't eat well. People also tend to snack and eat impulsively (cookies at the ER, a candy bar from a vending machine, soda from the gas station...etc).

Last edited by a moderator: