Facebook Privacy?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Our agency recently had a high profile call. It has been recommended that we change our names on our Facebook profiles and remove mention of our affiliation with our squad from our “About” section of our profiles. This is to prevent possible revenge taken on us if we get tracked down. Does changing our profiles seem reasonable? I’m open to your thoughts, I can’t find much online anywhere about social media guidelines, other than maintaining patient privacy and not posting things that will get you in trouble or fired.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
My Facebook profile lists neither where I work nor what I do. It's just easier and safer that way in general. Those who are close to me know what my profession is, but listing "secret government assassin" on a public forum doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think changing your profile to hide some information might not be a bad idea.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
If you remove where you work and don't post exactly where you live and have your settings so only your friends can see your info and posts you should be good.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
If you want to post where you work and what you do there is ways to hide that stuff so only people that are actually friends with you can see it. On your Facebook page on the left side where it lists where you are from, relationship status, your job and so on, you can edit those to only show what you want if someone was to look at your page without being your friend.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My policy is no facebook :). At any of my jobs, people being able to find me, where i work, or anything out about me results in a very very bad day for me, or my family.

Reynolds One

Forum Probie
I tend to agree with the "No Facebook" policy.

It's easy enough as it is to find information on a person, thanks to the overwhelming amount of online tools used to track people down. Publishing your information voluntarily is just asking for trouble, regardless of what types of privacy settings you enable.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I have a super generic name. On my name tag at work it has first initial, last name. Which if someone tried to look me up by that there are literally THOUSANDS of people with that first initial last name combo. Good luck! My public FB profile does not show anything 'personal', the info I do have that's available to friends lists a silly employment title. I rarely post anything at or about work, though my friends know what I do and it's not a secret or anything.

dbest9

Forum Probie
I don't have anything work related on my FB. An employer can't require you to change anything with a personal account if there is no affiliation with said employer :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I used to have a FB profile, with my full name, my agency listed under the about, and many of my coworkers as my friends.

I have since found my life much more productive and with fewer headaches by deleting my FB profile.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Without facebook I would not have near the networking opportunity with EMS leaders that I would never hope to meet. It's been exceptionally helpful for me in bettering my career. As such, if you search my name you'll also see where I work. And that's it, but you could find that information in a variety of other ways.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
@Tigger, that is what LinkedIn is for.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Is no one else wondering what on earth happened in the OP's "High profile call" where people will want to track them down to take revenge???

I myself do openly list that I'm an EMT at my employer. I have one or two selfies in uniform in front of our ambulance at station (none is my "profile pic") and I have absolutely zero photos taken on calls (mostly because on calls I'm usually a little too busy doing other stuff to be taking pictures lol) (Plus that is a fireable offense at my company). Funnily enough, none of my Facebook friends work for the same company I do (precious few are even EMTs in the first place, much less having any bosses or supervisors on my friends list) and I don't post about work generally, that's what I come here for! :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My profile isn't private. I have many coworkers and supervisors as friends with no issues. Off the top of my head I don't think I have any pictures of me in uniform but I do state where and who I work for.

My partner and I are known for having Facebook battles where we drag the supervisors and the boss man in and no issues have come up from it

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
My profile isn't private. I have many coworkers and supervisors as friends with no issues. Off the top of my head I don't think I have any pictures of me in uniform but I do state where and who I work for.

My partner and I are known for having Facebook battles where we drag the supervisors and the boss man in and no issues have come up from it

No pictures of you in uniform...... Okay Mr. CPR Horsey.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I could just post them on here... you know, just to be sure...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
@Tigger, that is what LinkedIn is for.
Not in my experience. I have both and find LinkedIn to be fairly useless. Facebook gives me the ability to meet people in different groups for different purposes and move forward from there. This has not been by LinkedIn experience.