everything bag

shockinainteasy75

Forum Probie
I start my new job in a week and i was wondering what you all take with you to work. Im on a 24/72 and have never worked 24 hr shift before. Any suggestions on what to take to make life easieer for those 24 hrs.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Here's a quick little archived link for you Linky-poo

If your station is slow, bring stuff to keep yourself entertained. If your station is busy keep stuff to keep you sustained. It's always a good idea to have a nice mix of the two.

I've learned what I use and what I don't use and consolidated my bag down quite a bit. It's all a matter of experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Bring a good roll of Charmin TP, station stuff sucks...:)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you own set of sheets, pillow, and blanket.

charger for cell phone

change of clothes

shower supplies, including your own towel and flip flops.

toothbrush and comb

laptop computer

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
What did 220 grit sandpaper ever do to you ;)

Lots of things Vene, lots of things....

Never forget a good pair of station pajamas - Mine are my workout shorts and t-shirt in summer and sweatpants for winter. Granted, I put on bunker pants over them, but it shouldn't be difficult to throw your EMS pants on over the shorts in a jiff. Nothing worse than coming into the bunk room to find a naked partner, just saying.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I my 24hr bag has the following:

Complete uniform(never know when your going to get dirty)
2 extra pairs of socks (feet are important, take care of them)
extra undies and undershirt (when you sweat and they get nasty)
Laptop and games/movies
Deodorant
Flashlight and spare batteries for it
Spare radio battery
Multitool
Fat Ivan (goes in my pocket once on duty, http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=7759)

Notepad, assessment pad, pens
Glowsticks, 8hours or more, and in multiple colors, it never hurts to have non-power reliant lighting, and i carry a green, yellow and red, for marking triage areas during mass care
trauma shears (they always go missing)
Sharpie ( for marking patients heads during mass care)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I work in what is a fairly busy system... and the only thing that gets me through long shifts is snacks, and a lot of them. Bring things you can munch on between calls, WATER, other drinks... fruit, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
I my 24hr bag has the following:

Complete uniform(never know when your going to get dirty)
2 extra pairs of socks (feet are important, take care of them)
extra undies and undershirt (when you sweat and they get nasty)
Laptop and games/movies
Deodorant
Flashlight and spare batteries for it
Spare radio battery
Multitool
Fat Ivan (goes in my pocket once on duty, http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=7759)

Notepad, assessment pad, pens
Glowsticks, 8hours or more, and in multiple colors, it never hurts to have non-power reliant lighting, and i carry a green, yellow and red, for marking triage areas during mass care
trauma shears (they always go missing)
Sharpie ( for marking patients heads during mass care)

Holy crap dude

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
All good suggestions above. Maybe over the top, but either you overpack and learn to lean it down, or under pack and then add prn.

Assuming you're a guy (I didn't check your profile), pack a couple dispo razors, you can use bar soap or a teeny travel can of foam to shave.

Especially as the newbie, you might spend more time on learning the vehicles and procedures and paperwork rather than Mario Bros. If you're FD, then be ready for "probie" tasking (cleaning, fetching, polishing).

Bring a little project each time. Excellent time to put that perfect edge on your pocket knife, or complete a professional course, or fix the TV remote that's acting up. Bring in your computer keyboard and clean it out.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a three bags that go to work with me, one is gear for the truck. Turnouts, helmet, Kevlar. That has to travel with me because I float between stations. It's in a small, department issued gear bag.

I have a Briefcase sized "duty bag" that came from HawkePacks, that has my extra flight suit, undies, socks, ditty bag with meds, toothbrush, razor... A kindle, chargers for iPhone and kindle, a real book and a couple of other small goodies. Stethoscope, flashlight batteries... That sort of stuff

Bag three is sleeping stuff. A big ol' REI duffle with two pillows, a fleece blanket, sheets, sleeping bag and a shower towel.

I found this is what works for me and I always have then stowed in my POV ready for work, with clean linen and uniforms. ;)

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I have a spare uniform with all the trimming in my POV. It's in a small bag in the back, and since the POV is parked at the station, I always have access to it.

I have a duffel bag that I carry to work that has...
2 xbox controllers (management only provides us with 2, so I bring mine so the entire shift can play)
MW3
Lots of extra socks
Chargers for laptop and iPhone
2 bottles of water
Uncle Bens microwavable rice
2 packets of tuna (mix the 2 together and you have a decent mean that you can make in under 2 minutes)
Instant oatmeal
Sometimes I have my laptop
Advil, Tums, Eye drops
Toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, that kinda stuff

That pretty much sums it up, I try to keep my duffel kinda light and portable so I don't feel like I'm moving in to the station for the next few weeks

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If you pack bedding in a duffle, get one with compression straps.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Not broken down into three colors? <disappointed> :D

Nope, just black, draw 1,2,3

but i use the one that doesnt come out of clothes either

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
In my overnight bag:

Sheet, Pillow, blanket, small throw blanet (for when I want to cuddle up in a recliner and watch TV)

Extra shirt, shorts (for sleeping in), extra socks (mine always get wet on rainy days and I hate wet socks).

Charger for phone (24 hours is a long time), gatorade (our station provides water but always good to have something else around), maybe a few snacks (in case its a slow day and I don't get to get free snacks at the hospital)

In my day bag (for days that I don't have a 24, or things to do during the day of my 24):

Laptop and charger, ipod, pens/pencils, books/magazines;
Stehoscope, trauma shears, flashlight (hmmm... this one really should start going in my night bag...)

In my car:
extra pair of pants, extra blanket in case it's really cold in the station, more socks (I REALLY hate wet socks), towel

Also, even if some of the guys go to bed later, I try to get to bed by 8 or 9. Yes, while this means you might have a later night run and have to get up, you've already had some time to sleep if you get an early morning run and won't be dog tired the next day!