ER tech qualifications

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I have a question specifically for people in Southern CA that have worked as ER techs or are knowledgeable on the subject. I am actively pursing the much sought after position of ER tech. I currently have approximately a year of EMT experience. I am taking intensive Spanish courses which after about a year hopefully I should be at a fairly good level of conversation. I am also looking at other ways to expand my resume. Getting an EKG cert will be one of my plans of actions. I also have thought about ACLS and PALS (can you take these if you aren't an RN/MEDIC/MD?) Another step I have been considering is getting certified in phlebotomy. I have heard others mention that their hospital wanted them to do this, but I'm not sure if this is the standard.

I also know that most hospitals will pay for you to get these certs after you get hired, but I am willing to get them on my own dime if it gives me an edge.

Thanks in advance

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a question specifically for people in Southern CA that have worked as ER techs or are knowledgeable on the subject. I am actively pursing the much sought after position of ER tech. I currently have approximately a year of EMT experience. I am taking intensive Spanish courses which after about a year hopefully I should be at a fairly good level of conversation. I am also looking at other ways to expand my resume. Getting an EKG cert will be one of my plans of actions. I also have thought about ACLS and PALS (can you take these if you aren't an RN/MEDIC/MD?) Another step I have been considering is getting certified in phlebotomy. I have heard others mention that their hospital wanted them to do this, but I'm not sure if this is the standard.

I also know that most hospitals will pay for you to get these certs after you get hired, but I am willing to get them on my own dime if it gives me an edge.

Thanks in advance

When I did my clinical at grossmont, the tech I worked with only did 12 lead, hooked up monitors, cleaned, put pt's on o2, etc. They have a bunch of dedicated phleb techs for that part. You won't have time as a tech to do sticks.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if you can get it and pass it, having ACLS on your EMT-B resume is very likely to scare off any RN (usually the ones doing the hiring) from hiring you. It indicates a willingness and likelihood of you going on to exceed your scope of practice, which is a significant problem with EMT ER Techs.