ER Tech/PCT

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Hey guys, im currently looking to get some Hospital experience, i have worked in IFT for a about a year and at a retirement community for another year. i have my ACLS/EKG Training. i was wondering whats the best way to get into the hospital as a PCT or ER Tech?

i keep on applying but it seems my applications go into a blackhole..

so any tips/tricks?

Speak a foreign language that is predominant in the area you are applying, phlebotomy.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
i am taking spanish this semester, although im no where near fluent in it, im sure towards the end of the semester i would be able to get my point across

I would advise you to just focus on medical spanish. Also, volunteering at the hospital you want to work for before you apply looks pretty good, according to my co-workers who have done that.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Keep applying remember you have some very well qualified coompetetion out there I include myself in that group. Things have changed due to the economy and pople are not flowing thru the ER like they used to. There was a time when I would tell people be patient the turnover rate is high and as long as your a competitive candidate you will get in maybe not full time but in is in.

I check the seniority list from time to time at the ER where I worked up north and there has been zero movement. People are getting in and sitting tight due to the fact that tech jobs tend to pay better than pre hospital jobs. Also you have to factor over saturation in the both the entry level health care field and pre hospital EMS. There are many nurses working as techs while they wait for spots to open up this also is a 180 fom just a few years ago.

Keep up with your education including pre reqs and take whatever you can get that will get your hands on some patients. Search my past posts ther is plenty of good inormation about going the tech route. Good luck!

Trezmaniandevil

Forum Probie
Hospital Advise

The best advise I have for you is mimic their want add. If it says something about assist the nurse in the ER setting in your resume say You are excited to assist a nurse in a busy ER setting.

Respiratory therapy is going to be a job function then say That you have a strong interest in airway management and respiratory science.

Spell check everything.