Equipment missuse

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Are you really going to go after a guy for proposing to his girlfriend? C'mon.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they had approval to do what they did, you can't just randomly decide to drive your ladder truck somewhere and through the stick up in the air...

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think you should bill him the full amount of all man hours and equipment use. This is improper use of equipment.

DPM

Forum Captain
I think people need to stop getting outraged over everything. So he was proposing, I doubt very much that it happened without permission and any time you can use your tools and equipment outside of the classroom is a learning opportunity. On top of that, it could be a good PR shot for this department.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345331152.247350.jpg

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think people need to stop getting outraged over everything. So he was proposing, I doubt very much that it happened without permission and any time you can use your tools and equipment outside of the classroom is a learning opportunity. On top of that, it could be a good PR shot for this department.

Good PR? Horsecrap. Starving tax payer sitting seeing them abuse my tax dollars so he can can play smoochie face with his girl. I don't think so.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
A. I think it's awesome.

B. it's great PR for both PD and FD in SLC.

C. She is way to hot for that guy. No way he'd score a woman that cute in line at a grocery store in civies. I wish I was a FF :/

D. Fire departments blow more cash than this cost on pizza night.

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
A. I think it's awesome.

B. it's great PR for both PD and FD in SLC.

C. She is way to hot for that guy. No way he'd score a woman that cute in line at a grocery store in civies. I wish I was a FF :/

D. Fire departments blow more cash than this cost on pizza night.

AGREED!!! Especially with that last part!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Good PR? Horsecrap. Starving tax payer sitting seeing them abuse my tax dollars so he can can play smoochie face with his girl. I don't think so.

Training exercise. Killed two birds with one stone, they still have to go through the steps to through the tower ladder.

Get over it. You would all hate me then because I waste money every time I have a third rider by using expendable supplies during our down time for education.

You want to save money? How about cut back on the thousands of miles fire departments put on their trucks driving to medical calls where they aren't needed instead of complaining about a single isolated event?

Last edited by a moderator:

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
Training exercise. Killed two birds with one stone, they still have to go through the steps to through the tower ladder.

Get over it. You would all hate me then because I waste money every time I have a third rider by using expendable supplies during our down time for education.

You want to save money? How about cut back on the thousands of miles fire departments put on their trucks driving to medical calls where they aren't needed instead of complaining about a single isolated event?

Amen brother! Preach, preach!

By the way, why is this in the EMPLOYMENT Thread?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
By the way, why is this in the EMPLOYMENT Thread?

Because they should all be fired so we can apply for their jobs, duh!

Editing my typo: *throw the tower ladder not through the tower ladder.

medic417

The Truth Provider
YUUP EMS will never progress with the good old boy do whatever we want attitude. Mine as well all be holding a beer with a big chunk of chew in your mouth as professional as this is.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Someone needs a nap :)

Yeah why is this in the employment thread? Someone should do something about that.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
YUUP EMS will never progress with the good old boy do whatever we want attitude. Mine as well all be holding a beer with a big chunk of chew in your mouth as professional as this is.

Really? We aren't going to progress because a FIREFIGHTER proposed from the top of his department's tower ladder? Not an EMS department...a FIRE department. Great logic. Please expound on how this single incidence is why we will never progress... I've got an idea, if you're so dang grumpy about it why don't you call that department and ask if the proposal was approved and if they say yes, which I am willing to bet they will say it was approved, you can :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: at them and feed them the same line you just fed me.

Should I be fired because I wolf whistle my siren at girls that I know when I see them around town?

Now that you mention it a nice Copenhagen sounds amazing right now with my beer. :rolleyes:

I'm half tempted to make a thread for those of us that chew, just because I know how annoyed you all get about it.

I'll say it again, if you want to use the money or the "good 'ol boy" attitude as an argument why don't you start a movement to reduce FD response to medical aids where they aren't needed which will save exponential amounts of money nationwide on fuel, tires and wear and tear on the trucks or fire trucks running code 3 to lift assists?

You know why there are so many burnouts in EMS? Because all the people who aren't burn out can't stand to work with some of the tightasses that end up being the burnt out people since they don't understand how to have a little fun. I'm not advocating misuse of equipment but the fact that you guys are harping on this poor guy for coming up with a cool way to propose is ridiculous.

How about helicopters going to schools and showing all the kiddies the helicopter? Should we stop that? Since in fact it costs upwards of a thousand dollars an hour to run a HEMS chopper and the crew could die on their way to let the kiddies see the chopper. That's equipment misuse. If you are going to argue about it include everything, not just one incident.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I see nothing wrong with this, so long as the bosses approved it. Given the media coverage, it is good PR for emergency services.

I can't find anyone making a stink about it locally, so I can't understand why anyone in our industry would even give a hoot.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Someones jealous they didn't score someone like that gal.

Pull the stick out of your a:censored::censored:, I'm pretty sure they cleared this with the superiors. I thought it was cute.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Someones jealous they didn't score someone like that gal.

Pull the stick out of your a:censored::censored:, I'm pretty sure they cleared this with the superiors. I thought it was cute.

I definitely agree, she's not bad looking at all. With that said, at the end of the day she's still a cop :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
It's the whole stupid attitude that is being displayed by this act. EMS, Fire, LE all seem to think they are entitled and the public is becoming tired of it as is evidenced by cut backs occurring in many areas. If the higher ups approved this use they to should be punished.And as to the unrelated bs about fire responding to every EMS call, I agree that should stop as well. 99% of calls can be properly handled by just the 2 people in the ambulance.

OP
OP
PVC

PVC

Forum Crew Member
There are a few things that are at least noteworthy if not undeniable.

The equipment was not his, nor is city equipment purchased, maintained and serviced so that individuals can use for personal gain. It doesn't belong to the chief or even to the mayor. So who signs off on the personal use of city equipment?

I really can’t blame the star struck lover too much, someone had to sign off on the misuse of departmental equipment. I would be suspect that the councilpersons that set the budget would not consider this to be appropriate designated use. The person who signed off should be held liable. In private sector business these actions could be prosecutable.

The cost is most likely more than pizza. The real world cost of manpower in the fire and police departments, fuel, and wear on the equipment should be considerably more than pizza. What would privately renting similar equipment and crew have cost? Ultimately, what does it matter how much it is? If it only cost 5 bucks it was still not his to use or his bosses to give.

How can this possibly be good PR when it demonstrates gross management sloppiness? Oh, I am sure that the soap opera crowd will love it but working people should know that their companies don’t operate with public disregard to their investors and management principles. The business owners should surely notice.

The blatant disregard for proper management of public resources expressed by posters hints of a generalized condoning of a serious management flaw. It makes me think that the misuse of resources may be more prevalent and far reaching than Salt Lake City. Why would someone be a serious professional on one hand, and wink at resource mishandling on the other. I don’t think the dichotomy of man is an argument with legal standing.

Well, at least he got the girl, imagine the story if she had said no.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
So a news crew just happened to be there at the right time to catch the whole story? I'm sure it's possible but I am betting it was pre-planned and approved.

I am not upset about it however if I was in charge I am not sure I would have approved it. I guess I could write it off as a publicity event / training. It would be better if the truck was a backup truck and the crew came in on their day off or something just to do this and not be paid.