EMT Employment Disqualification

CharlieT

Forum Ride Along
EMTLIFE,

I hoping to find clarity and guidance. I'm currently working as a Wildland firefighter thinking about a career change into emergency medicine.

I have 1 speeding ticket in California while on a Nevada DL. I did not pay it for a few months (I blame it on youthful indiscretion) resulting my California license to have a suspension due to failure to appear between the late 2018 and early 2020. I have since gotten my CA license and the suspension now appears on my DMV record.

While I know I was foolish for being resistant to paying the speeding ticket, am I being foolish for thinking that I may still be able to be hired by a 911 Ambulance service despite my temporarily license suspension?

Thanks everyone,

CT

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I’d call up some 911 companies and ask them. You could IFT around for a while as an attendant to get some experience first.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
giphy.gif

realistically, it's up to each individual ambulance service if a temporary DL suspension makes you ineligible for employment (the same applies to fire departments btw). No one here can give you a blanket answer, because there isn't one. Make some phone calls to places you want to work for, and ask them specifically what their hiring criteria is

Simply stated, if I own and operate DrP's Ambulance service, and I like you, I might offer you a job. But I might not make the same offer to someone who I don't know or like.

Similarly, your employment competition is 10:1 or 100:1, with many of your competitors not having a temporary DL suspension, which makes them better candidates (at least on paper). So you might face an uphill battle gaining employment, but it's def not impossible.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You can probably get a job as a medic doing IFT or event staffing until it goes off your record. It might be difficult to get a 911 job but it’s not an automatic disqualificatio. And your chances increase after a few years with a good driving record.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Depends on where you are, what level you are, and how desperate the employer is. ;)
As long as you cleared it up and you have a currently clean record, it might not be a huge issue.
Be careful and don't get another one. Slow down. :)