EMT class passes

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Ive read other threads where people said that they had like a class of 50 and only 5 people passed. Well in my EMT class, we had 22 people and EVERYBODY passed the class. Is this bad?? This must mean we either had really good students or an extremely easy teacher.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Ive read other threads where people said that they had like a class of 50 and only 5 people passed. Well in my EMT class, we had 22 people and EVERYBODY passed the class. Is this bad?? This must mean we either had really good students or an extremely easy teacher.

Only you can answer this. Have you taken your state or NREMT tests? Did you pass? Did you feel comfortable? Do you feel comfortable on the road?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Course success rates have as many reasons as failures have excuses. Sometimes it's just the right mix :)

Sassafras

Forum Captain
My instructor is known in the region for having a 100% pass rate. Other's fail repeatedly but she always instructs us at least one step higher than we need to test. First responders actually tested at the emt level before we were allowed to go to states. EMTb was tested at an intermediate level (with her expecting us to know some paramedic stuff so we understood why EMTbs did the things they do) before we were allowed to test at states. She was tougher than most in the region and it always paid off.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
The other thing there is to notice is the fact that EMTB curriculum is not rocket science. No offense, but anyone who studies SHOULD pass...and if you don't I'm worried about your cognitive abilities. My instructor weeded her classes out pretty fast so that by the end only those who she knew would pass states were left in the class. And still you'd be surprised how many people got upset over failing. I got a C once...when I forgot we even had a test and didn't realize that the schedule had been changed so I didn't even read the chapters (I missed the previous lecture). Yet these fresh out of highschool kids sat there texting, not doing the assigned reading/worksheets and then got pissed when they were given poor grades. So it's not only the teacher who's to blame for not passing. Either you take the class seriously (rocket science or not) or you don't.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
My instructor is known in the region for having a 100% pass rate. Other's fail repeatedly but she always instructs us at least one step higher than we need to test. First responders actually tested at the emt level before we were allowed to go to states. EMTb was tested at an intermediate level (with her expecting us to know some paramedic stuff so we understood why EMTbs did the things they do) before we were allowed to test at states. She was tougher than most in the region and it always paid off.

Tougher, very true, and that can have some nice advantages. Problem is, she also fails people who would have otherwise passed had she taught the course she was paid to teach in the first place. This is paramount to taking money out of the customer's pocket. She is obligated to test only to the level she is supposed to be instructing regardless of the level she chooses to instruct. I hope the school has it in writing that although students will only receive a Basic certification, they must pass the Intermediate course to earn it. As long as students sign an agreement stating the facts....good for them.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Class pass rates are really irrelevant. Heck, NREMT pass rates don't mean much either.

The true test is if you would trust them with your own medical care.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Tougher, very true, and that can have some nice advantages. Problem is, she also fails people who would have otherwise passed had she taught the course she was paid to teach in the first place. This is paramount to taking money out of the customer's pocket. She is obligated to test only to the level she is supposed to be instructing regardless of the level she chooses to instruct. I hope the school has it in writing that although students will only receive a Basic certification, they must pass the Intermediate course to earn it. As long as students sign an agreement stating the facts....good for them.

This instructor makes that clear the first day of class and states if you can't handle that, then one of the other school instructors may be a better match. Her classes are always full though. And honestly her making it tougher makes states SOOOOOOO much easier. Trauma was a 20 minute station at states. We had 5 minutes to get first vitals and splint/bandage, give O2, then the rest was board, collar straps, in 10, the final was reassessment, treatment and patch. Our tests were shortened to 11 minute stations total for our class final. We were warned of this and told the purpose is to get us ready and trained to do things quickly and effectively in less time than required so that at states we will know that we've already done the station quickly and won't freak out over time allotments and mess up. Medical was reduced from 12 minutes to 9 total for class. And knowing we completed everything in less than state required time really did help the nervous factor come states. There were students sobbing from other classes. Our class was calm cool and collective and helping other students review between first fail and second attempt. Most of us passed the first run through. I'd say her teaching tactics paid off.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
We had 1-2 people drop in the middle of the class, but every one in my class passed the actual class and passed NREMT to my knowledge. Last I heard when I spoke to the instructor several were working for various agencies. We had fantastic instructors.

The class my boyfriend took had a guy that keeps failing and retaking the course, I think that particular class was his third attempt.

I know 2 people who passed their class but simply never took National Registry... I don't understand that. One of them tells people he's an EMT, which drives me nuts.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
We had 1-2 people drop in the middle of the class, but every one in my class passed the actual class and passed NREMT to my knowledge. Last I heard when I spoke to the instructor several were working for various agencies. We had fantastic instructors.

The class my boyfriend took had a guy that keeps failing and retaking the course, I think that particular class was his third attempt.

I know 2 people who passed their class but simply never took National Registry... I don't understand that. One of them tells people he's an EMT, which drives me nuts.

I might have been the only one in my class to take the NR exam. And I let it expire last year because I didnt see any benefit to it. I have my state certs (got reciprocity in one state) and got hired.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
We don't even acknowledge NREMT here yet. I hear it's coming in a few years, but everyone has to have health dept certs.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I understand it's not required in every state, but here, to get your initial state cert you need NREMT.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
you have to be 18 to take the NREMT. when i took my EMT-B class i took the assessment test because i was only 16

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I think my class started with around 32, ended with about 28, a few failed the final, but completed remediation. I think most of students who stuck through to the end passed the state test. My instructor was very much surprised that most of the class stuck with the program. They usually lose 30%+.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
My class started with 24 and passed 6 because ...

-- We had some real idiots in class
-- We had some lazy people in class
-- We had some folks who didn't really know what they wanted from it
-- The teacher was about the slackest individual I have ever dealt with in a professional or educational setting: no lesson plan at all, clinical instructors being called one hour before class started and asked to teach clinicals for the day without knowing what they would be showing us, not answering emails, not putting grades in, etc. Truly abysmal.

It was a bad educational experience, but if you really wanted it you'd do what you had to do to make it happen. Some students couldn't wipe their own butts without being spoon-fed directions. They didn't make it, of course. We have already lost a few in my A&P class for the Para cert for the same reasons (not for having a crappy teacher, though ... cuz he is AWESOME).

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
"pass rate is a wierd stat..."

I think all the schools weed people out before the state test.

They all seem to have open admissions, otherwise an interesting figure would be the number of people who initially sign up versus get their certificate in the end.

The main instructor tried to prevent the texting and kvetching, but, to no avail, a few, not all, of the extra instructors for the practical would text or kvetch....and the problem was I would be working with someone who would then disappear to go make a call etc.....and they always made us switch and rotate partners, so I could not control who I worked with.

I think for the good of the students and the reputation of the course provider, they should be stricter about things like texting and b.s.-ing.

Its bizarre, many people just could not ignore their phones for four hours twice a week.....

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
i agree. in my class, our exams would be given at our class tables. lots of cheating in my opinion.

kermit

Forum Crew Member
Our instructor told us that the last class had 17 to start ,2 didn't show,5 quit after 11 days and 5 out of the 10 who passed never took their NREMT.
That's what gets me the paying for the class going through it and then not taking the NREMT. Maybe their still studying:rolleyes:

STRICTLY no cell phones allowed in class at all here. I had mine in my pocket and it turned its self on and played the cheesy music.
IF LOOKS COULD KILL i WOULD HAVE NEEDED TO USE IT TO CALL 911!!! It stays in the car now.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
I took my EMT-B class during the first 2 periods of high school and I only had 12 people in my class and only 5 got their cert cards