EMT Challenge CNA in CA?

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
I have been an EMT for a few years and was wondering if there is a way to challenge the CNA cert so I would not have to take the class. I want to because I want to go into nursing plus most of the tech jobs require you to be a CNA now.

Thanks,
Matt

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I have been an EMT for a few years and was wondering if there is a way to challenge the CNA cert so I would not have to take the class. I want to because I want to go into nursing plus most of the tech jobs require you to be a CNA now.

Thanks,
Matt

Apples and oranges. In CNA class you are going to learn things like changing a bed pan, measuring I's and O's, the proper way to make a bed (Yes, there is a specific way), etc.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the info. On the booklet it only has 24 skills to be completed, is that true?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the info. On the booklet it only has 24 skills to be completed, is that true?

Sounds about right. Handwashing, different types of ambulating, I's and O's, dry rounds, turning, oral care, bathing (Bed bath, sitting, shower chair), etc.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Awesome, thank you. Now just need to hopefully find a CNA course in the summer and work part time during it.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Awesome, thank you. Now just need to hopefully find a CNA course in the summer and work part time during it.

Look at some local nursing homes, they usually hold CNT courses.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Matt,

California regulations (Title 22) permit US licensed Physicians, Registered
Nurses, Physician Assistants, Vocational Nurses, or Licensed Practical Nurses to challenge the EMT curriculum to get their EMT cert. All approved EMT training programs are supposed to have a challenge program.

Unfortunately, CNAs don't fall under any of these categories.

Journey

Forum Captain
Unfortunately, CNAs don't fall under any of these categories.

Nursing students are usually allowed to challenge the CNA after their first semester of the nursing program.

Many of the other professions can have "first aid" type training depending on where they work. Even Cub Scouts might get more training then what is in the EMT courses.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with the last post: the only thing new that I learned in EMT-B class over Boy Scouts was Oxygen Admin (at least on the Medical side); we learned lots of paperwork: we even learned Backboarding in Scouts from Summer Camp and the Waterfront.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Nursing students are usually allowed to challenge the CNA after their first semester of the nursing program.

Many of the other professions can have "first aid" type training depending on where they work. Even Cub Scouts might get more training then what is in the EMT courses.

Ok....basics may be minimally trained when you compare them to other medical professionals or other countries, but I highly doubt any cub scout troop has more training. That's just an incorrect statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN

Thanks,
Matt

i'd like to challenge how to measure pee and change a bed....

Journey

Forum Captain
Ok....basics may be minimally trained when you compare them to other medical professionals or other countries, but I highly doubt any cub scout troop has more training. That's just an incorrect statement.

Incorrect? Do you have kids in the Scouts? They are pretty impressive and even put a little more effort into learning the basics more than some who go through EMT school just to get a job on an ambulance. They also seem to have a little more realistic view about patients and helping people than some on this forum who seem to spend more time thinking up pranks or ways to abuse patients they don't want on their ambulance. I still can't believe putting nitro paste on a door knob and nearly causing someone to pass out got a laugh.

Journey

Forum Captain
i'd like to challenge how to measure pee and change a bed....

That is just a small fraction of what a CNA does. I don't envy them especially when they might have 15 - 20 patients on an acute med-surg floor or ED and over 30 in a SNF or LTC falicity. While pee, poop and changing a bed might not be glamorous you must realize patient comfort and bodily functions are just part of the care for the human body. It is not all heroic acts like in the movies or on the daytime soaps.

8jimi8

CFRN
That is just a small fraction of what a CNA does. I don't envy them especially when they might have 15 - 20 patients on an acute med-surg floor or ED and over 30 in a SNF or LTC falicity. While pee, poop and changing a bed might not be glamorous you must realize patient comfort and bodily functions are just part of the care for the human body. It is not all heroic acts like in the movies or on the daytime soaps.

Please, Journey, I know what they do. I usually work without CNAs, in fact none of our techs are licensed for that matter... In any case, I know what jobs they do. I know how important clean lubricated skin is. Post up some credentials already!

Journey

Forum Captain
Please, Journey, I know what they do. I usually work without CNAs, in fact none of our techs are licensed for that matter... In any case, I know what jobs they do. I know how important clean lubricated skin is. Post up some credentials already!

Do you feel a need as an RN to add fuel to the flames of belittling CNAs because their job including pee and bed making just to blend on this EMS forum with EMTs and Paramedics?

Post up some credentials already!

Why? This is not a closed forum which requires a profession certification or license or even a membership to a organization. There is nothing that I have posted that can not be easily researched. Nothing is even "advanced" in theory or principle that I have covered.

I bet if this forum was to require proof of some type of medical cert or license, more than half of the posters would disappear. Also, some EMTs will tell you they are in "med school" when in reality they are still contemplating applying for the local community college.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I bet if this forum was to require proof of some type of medical cert or license, more than half of the posters would disappear. Also, some EMTs will tell you they are in "med school" when in reality they are still contemplating applying for the local community college.

Um, sweetheart. Some of us are in medical school. Thanks for playing.

8jimi8

CFRN
Do you feel a need as an RN to add fuel to the flames of belittling CNAs because their job including pee and bed making just to blend on this EMS forum with EMTs and Paramedics?

Why? This is not a closed forum which requires a profession certification or license or even a membership to a organization. There is nothing that I have posted that can not be easily researched. Nothing is even "advanced" in theory or principle that I have covered.

You are correct, credentials are not required, but when you come in here and you are posting like someone's mom or sounding otherwise pedantic, i'd like to know why i'm being lectured by someone who hasn't provided at least their education, yet speaks with GRAND AUTHORITY.

Until you post up credentials i can't take you anymore seriously than an internet logical fallacy. Because until you back up your statements with some training or education, you could be quoting me directly from wikipedia for all i know.

HAD you posted credentials, it would actually make you a good RESOURCE on this website, rather than

some nitpicker SUPEREGO who is too afraid to back up their statements with a few LMNOPs.

And yes you HAVE posted on advanced theories, just not in this thread. At this point you are reminding me of someone who used to post here quite a bit... and while personality often created conflict, there were CREDENTIALS to let you know, just who you were talking with... and what body of knowledge their perspectives arrived from.

To all of the CNA's who were hurt by my statements, please forgive my interdnet teasing. I know, i'm a big meanie.

Journey

Forum Captain
i'd like to know why i'm being lectured by someone who hasn't provided at least their education, yet speaks with GRAND AUTHORITY.

I posted a couple of links to California's CNA requirements and you are offended and consider that as speaking with GRAND AUTHORITY? How on earth are you going to make it as a nurse if you get offended by an anonymous forum and by someone who posts on a few threads usually about nursing and hospitals? However, your name appears on many, many threads about many different things that you claim to be an authority on but don't always post links to the information you are giving out.