EMT-B straight into EMT-P School!!

Joedaddy1120

Forum Crew Member
Any thoughts or comments on why I should or should not do it?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If "lacking experience" makes you hesitant, you'll get more than enough experience and time in clinicals and your internship.

I started medic school months after I got my EMT, and only 5ish shifts as a working EMT. Anyone want to argue I'm not knowledgeable or able to act as a Paramedic without months or years as an EMT beforehand, or that I'm any less of a Paramedic?

Do you want to? Then do it.

That's all it comes down to.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
There is no point in staying as a basic, advance as soon as you can get accepted to medic school.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I skipped paramedic school for medical school and I'm doing fine. :D

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I went into medic school with a spit amount of experience. I would go for it. The sooner the better. Not to mention the amount of CEU's that you collect during school is nice.B)

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
If "lacking experience" makes you hesitant, you'll get more than enough experience and time in clinicals and your internship.

I started medic school months after I got my EMT, and only 5ish shifts as a working EMT. Anyone want to argue I'm not knowledgeable or able to act as a Paramedic without months or years as an EMT beforehand, or that I'm any less of a Paramedic?

Do you want to? Then do it.

That's all it comes down to.

Don't forget that you were able to work as an emt for (9 months?) before finishing medic.

I don't think it should be MANDATORY, but it can't hurt. Even if you just do IFT, it'll introduce you to a certain way of thinking outside of the box.

As Linuss said: If you want it, take it.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
I went from First Responder, Basic, Intermediate Tech, and now in the medic program.

I did this all within 2 years. If you have the confidence and the ability, go for it. It is not going to be a cakewalk, but you will learn a lot of information in a short amount of time.

I know for me, there are days after class that I feel I am losing my mind with all the new knowledge and then realizing how little I really know.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
This forum is puking with the debate. Seek and ye shall find!

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
I'll preface this with I'm not attempting to start any fights and that if you want to do it then go for it. Now...My general experiences with Medics who haven't spend time running as a basic has been not the greatest. In my experiences, they seem to be the kind of medics who think EMTs are only good for driving the ambulance. They are also (again in my experience) the type of medic who will jump straight to ALS skills and freak if it doesn't go as they planned. Just my experiences in general and they are by no way extensive. Just throwing in my .02.

OP
OP
Joedaddy1120

Joedaddy1120

Forum Crew Member
I start P-school on Feb 15th. When i was doing my ambulance internship the "veterans" highly discouraged making the jump without field experience. Just wanted some insight on what other peoples thoughts were.

supergirl534

Forum Probie
it all depends on how ,much you got out of you emt b program i have seen it both ways. people go right into medic school and crash and burn and others that did just fine. i persoally think it is good to get some time working as a basic becuase no matter how many rotations you do there are still some things that you have to learn on the way. what ever way you go good luck to you.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Im guessing its a fairly big jump given the length of the medic programs in the u.s. In my state it takes 2.5 years of study as well as working full time on an ambulance to become a qualified medic.

I am one year in and could definitely say I would not be ready to work as a qualified as I need to develop more experience, be involved in more cases and have time to develop skills under supervision.

terrible one

Always wandering
Ahhhhh another EMT to Medic thread (with no experience) aghhh what should one do?!?!??!?

Try a search this topic along with 100 others has been death to death

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Im guessing its a fairly big jump given the length of the medic programs in the u.s. In my state it takes 2.5 years of study as well as working full time on an ambulance to become a qualified medic.

I am one year in and could definitely say I would not be ready to work as a qualified as I need to develop more experience, be involved in more cases and have time to develop skills under supervision.

I always heard you Aussies were a bit slow...<_<

Just kidding...

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
I'll have been working as a basic for 4 months now and I start on the 18th. Some people seem to think I need to wait and others say go for it for a variety of reasons on both sides.

No:
-You need more experience.

Yes:
-How much more experience can you get working a few shifts per week where some shifts you don't even get a call?
-How much more experience can you get going into a home, taking a set of vitals, and possibly doing the assessment/treatment if its a BLS call.
-Social status allows time for Paramedic class.
-Etc.. etc..

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I went straight from basic into medic school and I'm not have any problems, like Linuss said, you'll get a lot of experience in your clinicals. You don't need to have experience as a basic just to be a good medic, however, that's not to say that it wouldn't help. If you think you can handle it, then go for it.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's my take on it..

Go straight to medic school, less time to develop bad habits.

adwilcox28

Forum Probie
Take an intermediate course it will only help and is usually just one semester. You will know drugs, rhythms, and have practice with skills like intubation and IV and will be that much ahead of the curve in your paramedic class. If it's anything like the program I went thru your clinicals with various departments might as well be interviews and you want to be the best not look like an idiot. Extra schooling always helps.