EMT-B Schooling

RESCUERANDYEMS

Forum Crew Member
Any advice for the FNG who is just about to start EMT school?

*Things to pay special attention to*
*Study Practices*

Any advice is helpful.

drumlemorace

Forum Ride Along
Any advice for the FNG who is just about to start EMT school?

*Things to pay special attention to*
*Study Practices*

Any advice is helpful.
Hi again. Depending on how long the course is, and how your teacher sets the lesson plan is extremely important. I hear all the time how EMT-B go to expensive schools to only be dropped because they couldn't maintain an 80% on theor quizes. I did was lucky enough (or unlucky, depending on your opinion) that i didnt have to deal with daily quizzes that made pr broke. With that said. READ EVERY DAY, MAKE FLASH CARDS EVERY DAY, GO TO CLASS WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. Not much else to it. If you know how you learn, supplement what is taught in class with other things like videos, discussions, or books with up to date NREMT information. Information retention is something alot of my classmates had a huge problem with, that and being shy........DON'T BE SHY, ASK QUESTIONS, EVEN IF YOU FEEL ITS DUMB.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Read ahead of time. Keep up with your chapters. form study groups. make friends. practice. show up on time. turn your phone off during class, to minimize distractions. volunteer to be the first person to do any and all hands on skills.

Things to pay special attention to: PATIENT ASSESSMENT. its the basic foundation of medicine (EMT/Paramedic/nurse/doctor). if you can't do a decent patient assessment, than it doesn't matter if you know everything else; if you don't know when the patient needs it, all the interventions are worthless.

Everything in the class is important to pass the class, so you need to know everything, even if your instructor doesn't mention it. if it's in the book, it's fair game. if it's in another book, it's also fair game. You might not need it in the real world, but it might be brought up during exam time. If you don't understand something, ask.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Similarities to secondary school: Keep up with the work, get extra help when you need it, show respect to instructors, do what you have to do to graduate.

Differences vs. secondary school: Get used to people looking over your shoulder during practical exercises, learn to be assertive without being obnoxious, master the art of taking multiple choice exams, don't expect parents, teachers, administrators or guidance counselors to bail you out.