EMT-B Jobs on East Coast - Help please?

theasianEMT

Forum Probie
Hey guys,

I have a friend who's moving to the east coast from CA and is an EMT-B looking to get a job as a city or county EMT on the east coast...I told him about southeast county jobs but he's looking a little more along the lines of Chicago or Boston, NY, NJ, and wants to know how the EMS system works out east...anyone who works out there with info I can pass along will be appreciated! He is looking to get certified either as an EMT-I or an EMT-P later on...if that affects anything.

Thanks~

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Super easy to find EMT-B jobs at privates in the Boston area. There is definitely good opportunity to do BLS 911 as well (is that what "city or county EMT" means?), but those shifts will mostly go to people with a bunch of experience. As a paramedic, the world is your oyster in New England right now. Tons of FD's are hiring if that's what you want, plenty of 911 shifts available at privates.

OP
OP
theasianEMT

theasianEMT

Forum Probie
Not the private ambulance gigs, although it would be a good place to start. He's looking more into the county/city jobs like boston ems, chicago fire department paramedic or EMT, Wake County EMS, or some place along those lines...

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Only basics and medics in NJ. Either branch out into fire/municipal or go for the hospital jobs here (or both). All medics are hospital-based and hospital sponsorship is required for entrance into the community college paramedic programs.

OP
OP
theasianEMT

theasianEMT

Forum Probie
Super easy to find EMT-B jobs at privates in the Boston area. There is definitely good opportunity to do BLS 911 as well (is that what "city or county EMT" means?), but those shifts will mostly go to people with a bunch of experience. As a paramedic, the world is your oyster in New England right now. Tons of FD's are hiring if that's what you want, plenty of 911 shifts available at privates.
Not the private ambulance gigs, although it would be a good place to start. He's looking more into the county/city jobs like boston ems, chicago fire department paramedic or EMT, Wake County EMS, or some place along those lines...

OP
OP
theasianEMT

theasianEMT

Forum Probie
According to their facebook page, Boston EMS just opened up registration for a new class of EMT-B's: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBostonEMS/posts/1045163152183631

I feel like it usually fills up almost immediately, and is hard to get hired with them, but he could check that out in any case.
Reading the post, it seems like they're saying the class is not a guarantee of employment and knowing the Boston EMS reputation, I doubt they will hire a new EMT grad. I will however tell him about this post. Thanks for the heads up~

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
lots of EMTs jobs in NJ & NY.... pay and conditions vary depending on if private, hospital based, or municipal.

OP
OP
theasianEMT

theasianEMT

Forum Probie
Copy that I will gladly tell him about those two areas. I think he's looking more into the municipal side of EMS if possible.