EMT and mental health

HunterTMars

Forum Crew Member
Are you saying that if you are in those states, you need a CDL to drive an ambulance? Because I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, but I'll let @akflightmedic answer definitively. But we aren't talking about CDLs, so I am guessing that is unrelated info

many/most companies require a physical, however, they don't need the medical examiner's certificate which runs contrary to your claim of "almost all agencies require". in case you want to say you didn't say that, I have it quoted below for your reference:

so requiring a pre-employment physical and requiring a medical examiner's certificate to drive the ambulance are two completely different things If you want to be picky, just because you can't drive the ambulance, doesn't mean you are ineligible for
Are you saying that if you are in those states, you need a CDL to drive an ambulance? Because I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, but I'll let @akflightmedic answer definitively. But we aren't talking about CDLs, so I am guessing that is unrelated info

many/most companies require a physical, however, they don't need the medical examiner's certificate which runs contrary to your claim of "almost all agencies require". in case you want to say you didn't say that, I have it quoted below for your reference:

so requiring a pre-employment physical and requiring a medical examiner's certificate to drive the ambulance are two completely different things If you want to be picky, just because you can't drive the ambulance, doesn't mean you are ineligible for employment.
No, I’m saying that at least one of the states listed does require a medical examiner’s certificate. Also, I have no intent of claiming I didn’t say something that I said - especially in print. I guess for us to really know we would need to look at all ambulance service requirements in the nation to determine if my claim is correct or close to correct - but I was under the impression that they did. If not, then I’m incorrect and I am ok admitting that. A DOT physical with a medical examiner’s certificate is qualified to have a CDL in some states - even if you drive a semi truck.

I do find it shocking that people approved to drive ambulances may not have to have a medical clearance. Seems to me that it would be prudent to assure that the operator is medically cleared to drive an ambulance. But, alas, what do I know, I mean, I’m merely an EMTLIFE forum crew member.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Your company doesn’t require a Department of Transportation physical in order to drive an ambulance? Ok. Do you have a physical through “employee health” or “occupational med”?

No.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No, I’m saying that at least one of the states listed does require a medical examiner’s certificate. Also, I have no intent of claiming I didn’t say something that I said - especially in print. I guess for us to really know we would need to look at all ambulance service requirements in the nation to determine if my claim is correct or close to correct - but I was under the impression that they did. If not, then I’m incorrect and I am ok admitting that. A DOT physical with a medical examiner’s certificate is qualified to have a CDL in some states - even if you drive a semi truck.

I do find it shocking that people approved to drive ambulances may not have to have a medical clearance. Seems to me that it would be prudent to assure that the operator is medically cleared to drive an ambulance. But, alas, what do I know, I mean, I’m merely an EMTLIFE forum crew member.
First, the DOT physical/medical clearance required to drive a semi-truck is required and specified in CFR 391.41. There is no CFR that requires it to drive an ambulance, since the don't meet the 26000lb minimum gross vehicle weight that requires a class B CDL (some fire apparatus meets this requirement, but not many). The other thing that would require a CDL of some sort is on vehicles with air brakes. Not many ambulances out there with those. A state requiring a DOT physical/medical certification or even a CDL to drive an ambulance is doing so because they a) can, b) micromanage, or c) see some benefit in it.

Second, your "forum crew member" title is based soley on post count as described in this post: https://emtlife.com/threads/answers-about-the-forum.2040/post-25674

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Assumptions are also fun. Not from California. And you are incorrect. Some of the states above do require a DOT certification. They may have different names for example, Commerical Driver's License (CDL).

Comprehension is helpful as well, because I did not state YOU were from CA. What I did was tie the comment to a common occurrence on this site for a laugh. I ended my statement with "typically, CA is the only one doing it" which basically opened the door for you to reply with whatever state you are referencing particularly.

Anyways, please advise which state I listed requires a DOT cert or CDL, as I speak from personal experience of being licensed in all those states and operating an ambulance within those states. Some employers required a medical physical, some did not. None of the employers in any of those states sent me to an occupational medicine doctor for a specific DOT or Medical Examiners certificate or whatever you want to call it. It just did not happen.

There are HUGE differences between pre-employment physical and what you are stating.

HunterTMars

Forum Crew Member
First, the DOT physical/medical clearance required to drive a semi-truck is required and specified in CFR 391.41. There is no CFR that requires it to drive an ambulance, since the don't meet the 26000lb minimum gross vehicle weight that requires a class B CDL (some fire apparatus meets this requirement, but not many). The other thing that would require a CDL of some sort is on vehicles with air brakes. Not many ambulances out there with those. A state requiring a DOT physical/medical certification or even a CDL to drive an ambulance is doing so because they a) can, b) micromanage, or c) see some benefit in it.

Second, your "forum crew member" title is based soley on post count as described in this post: https://emtlife.com/threads/answers-about-the-forum.2040/post-25674
Yes, I understand my title - I was trying to engage in some tongue ‘n cheek behavior. Everyone on this website considers themselves an expert - it’s like EMS Facebook ya know.

Look, this is simple - I was trying to help a young aspiring EMT on information I believed to be true and am aware that my company is not the only company requiring this. I will, in the future, be very careful about any advice given on here.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yes, I understand my title - I was trying to engage in some tongue ‘n cheek behavior. Everyone on this website considers themselves an expert - it’s like EMS Facebook ya know.

Look, this is simple - I was trying to help a young aspiring EMT on information I believed to be true and am aware that my company is not the only company requiring this. I will, in the future, be very careful about any advice given on here.
Feel free to keep giving advice...just steer clear of absolutes and thinking that they way you're familiar with is the only way. This goes for everyone here.