EMS/Medical Superstitions.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
So, many of us in EMS/Medical fields know the old standbys; Never say the "Q" word. Full moon efects on psych pts. Tones dropping just as your food gets to the table.

What I'm looking for is a little different. Are there things you do to bring on a good call. Or possibly prevent the bad one. When I worked LTC, we would tie knots in the bedsheets our near death pts had on their bed to postpone it to the next shift. And, recently, it turns out my Super Cool, all black, stealth stethoscope has a tendency to prevent us from having ANY emerg calls whatsoever.

So, post any superstitions/rituals/magic words that are sure to bring or prevent a particular response.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
So, many of us in EMS/Medical fields know the old standbys; Never say the "Q" word. Full moon efects on psych pts. Tones dropping just as your food gets to the table.

What I'm looking for is a little different. Are there things you do to bring on a good call. Or possibly prevent the bad one. When I worked LTC, we would tie knots in the bedsheets our near death pts had on their bed to postpone it to the next shift. And, recently, it turns out my Super Cool, all black, stealth stethoscope has a tendency to prevent us from having ANY emerg calls whatsoever.

So, post any superstitions/rituals/magic words that are sure to bring or prevent a particular response.

Funny, myself and several of my co-workers were just talking and laughing about this kinda stuff last night....I always stop a co-worker from saying "It's a quite night..." or "It's slow tonight..." when talking to them before I clock in... The one that gets me is every time we're like 5 minutes from going/taking lunch you get a call and you are the only one that can take it.....lol

oneluv79

OP
OP
RESQ_5_1

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Just this morning, as we were watching the waitress approach our table with breakfast, tones go off. As it turns out, today was the first day in 2 weeks I left my tubes in my truck.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
The one thing we never say is what kind of call we want.... We always get it, in the worst way.

OP
OP
RESQ_5_1

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
So far, that hasn't worked for us at all. We have been looking for a decent MVC for quite some time and have heard every other station around us do them almost daily.

OP
OP
RESQ_5_1

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
A little off topic Sapphyre, but where in the inland Empire. I originally hail from Covina in the San Gabriel Valley.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Every time we train on something, we get that type of call within two weeks.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Every time we train on something, we get that type of call within two weeks.

Thats interesting. I always end up with a variation on that. We will be scheduled to train on a new piece of equipment, or a reminder of a certain skill or assesment, and without fail have a call that requires it a few days before the training.

Other interesting patterns:

One the days I bring reading or stuff I need to work on with me on the truck, I end up with no time to do it, we run calls non stop. The days that I bring nothing to distract myself, we get nothing. It's the same with my cellphone. The days I'm bored at work, and play on my phone all day, it dies, and I never have a charger when I need it.

One last pattern/superstition. Whenever the crew that has our truck before us leaves us with any less then 7/8 of a tank, we end up driving all day, and nearly kill the tank. The days the tank is full, it seems we barely turn a wheel.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So far, that hasn't worked for us at all. We have been looking for a decent MVC for quite some time and have heard every other station around us do them almost daily.

I hate when people say that. It's like standing in a hospital wishing for a code. People get HURT in these things, don't wish for them.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate when people say that. It's like standing in a hospital wishing for a code. People get HURT in these things, don't wish for them.

someone needs a vacation........

OP
OP
RESQ_5_1

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Genrally, the MVC's in our area rarely result in injuries. More often than not, they are single vehicle rollovers with one occupant and minor injuries. Or, they are vehicle vs Moose. Again, minor injuries at best. We haven`t had an MVC fatality in over a year. When I say decent MVC, these are the ones I`m referring to.

As it turns out, my partner and I are usually the ones sent on the CVA call. And, we actually have an excellent track record. 80% of the CVA calls that we diagnose are actually CVAs. Also, every actual CVA we have transported and treated has had no less than a 93% recovery.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I don't know if these are superstitious but they seem to have worked...

1. If you can sleep on the job during the night, do it in a uniform because if you're in sweats or your 'jammies you are going to be rung OUT repeatedly. (Ditto BDU's in the field).
2. I sit near the door but facing it if I'm "on call", and at a table near the back facing the door if I'm not. Has come in useful a couple times...
3. I carry and use an eight pound jump kit of my own when I have a twenty-bag, four advanced-level kit, trauma system to support me. Couple days I failed to bring it everywhere, I got sent to a fight or fall and the materials were not there.

rogersam5

Forum Crew Member
1. If you can sleep on the job during the night, do it in a uniform because if you're in sweats or your 'jammies you are going to be rung OUT repeatedly. (Ditto BDU's in the field).

That one is true, the more I have to put on the more likely it is I get a call.

1. Any time I forget MY BP cuff (Squad has junk) I am sure to get a call.
2. The instant I can't find the card that lets me into all the campus buildings and Res halls, I get a call
3. The colder it is outside, the more likely my call will be the furthest possible location from where I currently am.
4. I take a shift I get a call (the squad has a relatively small response area, so our call volume is about 3000 a year, but yet I get one per shift I take)
5. I sign on before my shift officially starts to avoid having to walk over to the squad room at midnight, I will get a call and be in the squad room at midnight.

mikie

Forum Lurker

What's the ol'e saying? "It's not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you do." Nobody [hopefully] WANTS people to be injured but hey...it's job security.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you want an uneventful shift, never work with me. I have a little black cloud that follows me sending bolts at everythng near by. Especially 5-10 minutes before the next shift shows up.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Tell me about it. We were a little busy yesterday, and everytime I'd start to think about getting food, we'd get a call. I finally drive right over to get food after clearing a call, and as we pull into the parking lot, the tones drop.

I didn't eat breakfast until 1530 yesterday.