EMS in Arizona

jlquick

Forum Probie
Hi Everyone,
I'm an EMT in Florida and I'm moving to Arizona in a couple of weeks. Just wondering if anyone on here is from out there. I'm going to be completely new to the EMS field out there and would love to hear some suggestions on where I should start looking for jobs and whatnot.

I know that Southwest is a big ambulance company out there, but that's about the limit of my knowledge.

Thanks for your help. I'm new to the forums, but I look forward to talking with everyone.

Jeff

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
I'm looking to relocate there myself in about 6 months, so I'm jumping on board your thread... :) Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
jlquick

jlquick

Forum Probie
I'm looking to relocate there myself in about 6 months, so I'm jumping on board your thread... :) Welcome to the forum!

Didn't realize the desert was so popular. Do you have any job prospects for when you get out there? I have an interview set up with the Peoria volunteer dept. once I'm out there. Hoping that will give me some experience and the chance to go to fire school on a scholarship.

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
I'm not even certified yet! I don't have any job prospects in EMS yet, but a couple bites on my day job (cubicle director)

I have family out there, and I'm so over dirty Jersey... My brother just got into the US Border Patrol, so the family I have in NJ is all looking to relocate around Tucson... That's cool you already have prospects. i'm going to finish the NREMT here in Jersey, then try to get into a Paramedic program out there. At least that's the plan so far... What's taking you to AZ?

OP
OP
jlquick

jlquick

Forum Probie
I'm not even certified yet! I don't have any job prospects in EMS yet, but a couple bites on my day job (cubicle director)

I have family out there, and I'm so over dirty Jersey... My brother just got into the US Border Patrol, so the family I have in NJ is all looking to relocate around Tucson... That's cool you already have prospects. i'm going to finish the NREMT here in Jersey, then try to get into a Paramedic program out there. At least that's the plan so far... What's taking you to AZ?

That's cool. I used to have family and a girlfriend in Jersey. Never been much of a fan, but they do have some good food out there! What part do you live in?

I'm heading out West because my girlfriend lives out there. I've visited a bunch of times and I'm finally making the move. Her dad is actually a BP agent in Yuma, so I know all about that.

I just finished EMT school in May and I haven't worked in the field yet. I know I'm going to volunteer out in AZ, but as far as a job I have nothing yet. I'm hoping to get with an ambulance company or start substitute teaching.

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
That's awesome. I heard there was a big ambulance co. out there, I can't remember the name tho... I'll try and figure it out. My brother thinks he may be getting sent to Yuma if/when he gets the go, but who knows... how do you have a GF in AZ, and you live in Tampa - is it the same GF from jersey? :) i live near Maguire AFB (ft. dix area), and work in Lawrenceville, near Princeton? You familiar?

OP
OP
jlquick

jlquick

Forum Probie
That's awesome. I heard there was a big ambulance co. out there, I can't remember the name tho... I'll try and figure it out. My brother thinks he may be getting sent to Yuma if/when he gets the go, but who knows... how do you have a GF in AZ, and you live in Tampa - is it the same GF from jersey? :) i live near Maguire AFB (ft. dix area), and work in Lawrenceville, near Princeton? You familiar?

Yuma is an interesting place... Kind of a small farming town, but they have some really good restaurants there. I've been a couple times. I met my girlfriend online, oddly enough. On Facebook like totally at random. But it's been almost 2 years so that's better than any dating site!

Actually it's not the same gf from NJ. That was my other long distance relationship... She was from Linwood, real close to Atlantic City. It was a sleepy little town that made me laugh because all these wannabe gangsters were riding around on beach cruisers. Don't think I've been to Princeton. My uncle lived in Long Branch for a while when he was working in the city. Used to go up there once a year.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Actually it's not the same gf from NJ. That was my other long distance relationship... She was from Linwood, real close to Atlantic City. It was a sleepy little town that made me laugh because all these wannabe gangsters were riding around on beach cruisers. Don't think I've been to Princeton. My uncle lived in Long Branch for a while when he was working in the city. Used to go up there once a year.

I bet ya money I know her. I'm working Somers Point EMS, on Somers Point FD, and grew up in Ocean City.

Its a small world after all....B)

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
Well ask away on what you want to know about Arizona EMS. I know a few of us live here and may provide some insight into something. I work for Lifeline Ambulance and can give you some info on them if you wish.

Also you said "I have an interview set up with the Peoria volunteer dept." Who is this and what do they do? I have never heard of Peoria having volunteers.

OP
OP
jlquick

jlquick

Forum Probie
Well ask away on what you want to know about Arizona EMS. I know a few of us live here and may provide some insight into something. I work for Lifeline Ambulance and can give you some info on them if you wish.

Also you said "I have an interview set up with the Peoria volunteer dept." Who is this and what do they do? I have never heard of Peoria having volunteers.

It's a program they have called the Red Shirts. They do a lot of volunteer activities in the community and also with fire department that runs it. It's a way to get people who are just starting out the chance to get some experience and some training. They have a fire academy that is run through Glendale CC.

Question about Arizona: Here in Florida all of our FDs are fully ALS. So basically all of the private companies act as BLS transports for FD (granted their not doing standard private transports). Is it the same way out there? I'll probably be applying to a lot of private companies when I get out there and I'm wondering what it will be like call-wise.

I hadn't heard of Lifeline. Do they work in the Phoenix area?

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
It's a program they have called the Red Shirts. They do a lot of volunteer activities in the community and also with fire department that runs it. It's a way to get people who are just starting out the chance to get some experience and some training. They have a fire academy that is run through Glendale CC.

Question about Arizona: Here in Florida all of our FDs are fully ALS. So basically all of the private companies act as BLS transports for FD (granted their not doing standard private transports). Is it the same way out there? I'll probably be applying to a lot of private companies when I get out there and I'm wondering what it will be like call-wise.

I hadn't heard of Lifeline. Do they work in the Phoenix area?

Most of the departments in the Phoenix area are ALS - all the big cities (Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, Glendale, etc). Phoenix is the only city FD, however, with their own ambos. So the private ambo companies (mainly Southwest and PMT) do all of the transporting for the other cities. While some of these transport companies do have medics, FD medics will still usually ride along with ALS patients.

I haven't head of Lifeline, you'll have to let phunguy answer that.

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
Yeah forgot about the red shirt program, almost all the cities have that. Its a good way to start learning and getting involved with the fire department. Glendale CC is a great place to learn, lots of knowledgeable instructors and good leadership.

Like seanm028 said Southwest and PMT are your two companies you can apply with in the main Phoenix area. You will be doing a lot of interfacility transport with them. Most of their units are 1 emt-b 1 emt-p/cep.

Now for all of you Arizona residents who don't know about Lifeline heres the info. Lifeline is based out of Prescott but handles all the ambulance service from Wickenburg to Williams. Lifeline is the first responder along with fire as all of the departments in that service area don't have their own rescue. Its a great chance to run 911 calls instead of dealing only with interfacility. If you don't mind the drive to the other stations outside of the valley you will get lots of experience on patient care in trauma situations instead of the typical medical calls for transport.

http://www.lifelineaz.com

Johnnyredshirt

Forum Ride Along
I have been a reserve firefighter w/ Black Canyon Fire dept. for 3 months and have really enjoyed it. Black Canyon City is a small rural town about 40-50 mi. North of Phoenix. They are actually going to be testing in Dec. and you don't have to have your Fire 1 & 2 to get on. It's been great starting out there, they have their own rescue unit and really a helpful staff of career guys. Lifeline ambulance finally called me yesterday for testing and an interview on the 30th. I'm pretty stoked. Check out bcvfd.org if you're interested in testing. I had never even put on turnouts before I started there and now I've learned so much in 3 months it's awesome.