Emesis Bags?

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
Good Afternoon! I was asked a couple weeks ago about looking in to getting some of these new fancy "Emesis Bags" to replace the big old basins that we currently carry. I found a brand called EMBags and was wondering if anybody has seen or used these before. Apparently they are sealable so that you can just take the basin, cap it off, and dispose of once you get to the hospital.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ive never understood the theory behind taking a simple problem and creating an overly elaborate, ridiculously expensive solution to it.

occams razor: "all things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."

these are .27/per and have many uses
biobags.jpg

these are 1.75/per and have pretty much one use.
47681.jpg

sure, the biohoop bag is flashy, has "features" and is "super cool", but does it work 7 times better? will it allow you to be 7 times better as a practitioner during an "emetic event"?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Nothing that can't be done with a simple red bag with a hole near the top in one side to place the head through.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Freezer bags, preopen the ziplock.

General aviation ilots use an empty coffee canwith a reliable lid that snaps in place.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I simply forbid patients from throwing up in the back of my ambulance, and refuse to transport them if they don't agree. ;)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I simply forbid patients from throwing up in the back of my ambulance, and refuse to transport them if they don't agree. ;)

But do you tell them it is against the law? :rolleyes:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Nothing that can't be done with a simple red bag with a hole near the top in one side to place the head through.

Back in NY we called them "party bags". You can use a spare pt belongings bag as well. Saved me a couple of times carrying a drunk down the stairs with a stair chair. Keeps the mess in the ambulance to a minimum since you can hang it around a semiconscious/sleeping drunk's neck. A hands free way to catch all the fun.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
We use Embags.

They are excellent. Hard plastic ring around the top & volume measure indicators throughout. it means that if a person needs to empty the contents of their stomach, they can, with minimal risk of it landing on you, or on the ambulance.

They have a 'lock off' system so if necesarry, the contents can be taken to hospital for the MO to see. They can also be used by the patient while you are on the move.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
They have a 'lock off' system so if necesarry, the contents can be taken to hospital for the MO to see.

*proudly* "Here, Doc, I saved this for you!"

I had a patient once with a reported GI bleed. Patient reported bloody stool, with a significant quantity of blood. Medics arrive and ask me if I went to look... You'll excuse me if I had taken the patient's word for it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
*proudly* "Here, Doc, I saved this for you!"

I had a patient once with a reported GI bleed. Patient reported bloody stool, with a significant quantity of blood. Medics arrive and ask me if I went to look... You'll excuse me if I had taken the patient's word for it.

It's like the 80 y/o complaining of a vaginal bleed. I use the underwear test. If it isn't soaking through the underwear and V/S aren't disturbed, then it's nothing that can't wait for the hospital.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
It's like the 80 y/o complaining of a vaginal bleed. I use the underwear test. If it isn't soaking through the underwear and V/S aren't disturbed, then it's nothing that can't wait for the hospital.

They were asking if I had gone to look at what was in the toilet. We actually had done at least a cursory check for active bleeding.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
When I began in EMS, I worked with an Paramedic/Driver who was obsessed with cleanliness in his ambulance. He would go as far pulling the ambulance over to the side of the highway if a patient was vomiting, pull the patient out of the ambulance, and only allow them to vomit outside. At the time I thought he was absolutely crazy.... but......

Just Kidding. I don't think I'd ever do that.

Kenny

Forum Probie
We use Embags.

They are excellent. Hard plastic ring around the top & volume measure indicators throughout. it means that if a person needs to empty the contents of their stomach, they can, with minimal risk of it landing on you, or on the ambulance.

They have a 'lock off' system so if necesarry, the contents can be taken to hospital for the MO to see. They can also be used by the patient while you are on the move.

I just love the Hurl-e's. Handy as heck, convenient to carry on your person, etc. Can you get them where you are located?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
JPIN! Me too!

sidetrack, underwear check is good for spotting crab lice too, thier little bloody poops show up as red dots that fizz with peroxide.