Education Standards Gap Analysis Documents

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Last edited by a moderator:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I didn't read the entire 48 page document, but the message is clearly made that we are seeing the first steps of a paradigm shift in our profession. This publication is the future of EMS; thanks for sending it along, Rid.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Not much changed for EMT's in Texas, as most of that is already taught.

As for medic, nice to see some new things added like central line access.

My wonder is, how will the transition affect current students who are being taught the old curriculum when it comes time to test for the NR? Is there a lag time? Yes, I know "your school should be shifting", but it's a 'what if' scenario.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
From my understanding is that most states that are at least NREMT associated will adopt a "transitonal bridge" that will be added to their refresher. To say, when you obtain a refresher with a three year window, one has better attended such program or recognize they will not be recertified or licensed. There will be no "grandfathering" in clause, etc. Basic must attend and Intermediates as well for the advanced, I-99 must either complete Paramedic or take the bridge for the Advanced level.

Of the semantics is still being worked out.

R/r 911

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
From my understanding is that most states that are at least NREMT associated will adopt a "transitonal bridge" that will be added to their refresher. To say, when you obtain a refresher with a three year window, one has better attended such program or recognize they will not be recertified or licensed. There will be no "grandfathering" in clause, etc. Basic must attend and Intermediates as well for the advanced, I-99 must either complete Paramedic or take the bridge for the Advanced level.

Of the semantics is still being worked out.

R/r 911

The question for me is always, "What will the bass ackwards California EMSA Morons do (if anything) and how will they choose to screw up the implamentation." I know, the answer is always, "Who the hell knows."

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The question for me is always, "What will the bass ackwards California EMSA Morons do (if anything) and how will they choose to screw up the implamentation." I know, the answer is always, "Who the hell knows."

I believe although states have the options (yes, usually screw things up) most will not have an option. One can either participate and develop true educational foundation or have the option of risking the withholding of Federal Aid and Compensation as in highway, safety funding and medicare reimbursements, in which I doubt California (or any other state) would attempt to risk.

I would like to point out, that this as well is the beginning of non-objective based teaching and learning. A new concept for EMS but not for those within a true educational background. Making a requirement for teachers to be educators not instructors. Lesson plans, a full understanding of the adult learner and teaching process. Although, a slow and tedious process we will slowly force the "good ole boy" instructors out. Gone will be the days, of just because you are a good EMT you are automatically assumed to be a good instructor.

R/r 911

8jimi8

CFRN
I thought that once you obtained a certain level of certification, you need only maintain your CEU's to remain certified / licensed. Is there a point at which you must take a refresher course, regardless of CEU hours earned?

**BTW tried to follow the link and its broken.

*** Nevermind, its working now

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I thought that once you obtained a certain level of certification, you need only maintain your CEU's to remain certified / licensed. Is there a point at which you must take a refresher course, regardless of CEU hours earned?

**BTW tried to follow the link and its broken.

*** Nevermind, its working now

Most states & especially those that are NREMT associated require a refresher level and a set number of CEU's for recertification. NREMT requires 48 hrs of CEU's, bi-annual CPR and a refresher, for the current Intermediate it is 36 hours of CEU's and refresher plus CPR and documentation of skill review and signature of your medical director affirming that you are working at that level. The Paramedic has different options, retake the test (& pass) or complete 24 hours of CEU's & refresher or in lieu of CEU's complete the alphabet courses (ACLS, PHTLS/ITLS, PALS) and alike Intermediate documentation of skills and verification that you are or have been working as a Paramedic.

All levels are equal in 60 hours to recertify (again this for the NREMT)
R/r 911

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I guess I should phrase differently--

Say right now I'm learning A, B and C, while the new curriculum says I should learn A, B, C, and D. The NR switches to A,B,C,D. How will this affect me come testing?

8jimi8

CFRN
Another quick question.

Did I read this correctly?
They moving ET intubation to only Paramedic level, and leaving Intermediates (AEMT) to supraglottic devices?

8jimi8

CFRN

Say right now I'm learning A, B and C, while the new curriculum says I should learn A, B, C, and D. The NR switches to A,B,C,D. How will this affect me come testing?

This education agenda does not affect any current students unless you start paramedic school after january 1st 2013.

Except for the refresher curriculae as Rid has detailed in his OP

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Chances are this will not be totally in affect until after you have graduated. Most programs are reviewing the material and some (limited) are initiating some changes this fall. Most of the new texts are still being reviewed and was being attempted to be out this fall but doubtful, I have heard most will be out this spring.

Again, if one reviews the current scope when they graduate and current ACLS standards there will be no new surprises.

I do hope many will notice the changes from MFR and EMT and the removal of intubation from advanced level. Also lab draws from the Paramedic level has been removed but lab chemistry (in depth) has been added.

Public Health and research has been added to each level from MFR to Paramedic and anatomy cellular level has been addressed from the basic level upward with more intensity and demands of knowledge. True many may not require collegiate level anatomy, but the way to ensure that this level will be taught is for the questions and testing to reflect one will have obtain this to pass.

This is just the beginning and much more work is needed but alas more changes are on the way.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This education agenda does not affect any current students unless you start paramedic school after january 1st 2013.

Except for the refresher curriculae as Rid has detailed in his OP

Actually, the first testing of the new scope will be out by 2012.

R/r 911

8jimi8

CFRN
Actually, the first testing of the new scope will be out by 2012.

R/r 911

I may be quoting an old agenda paper. Oh... wait i think it was the "all schools must be accredited" by 01.01.2013

am i incorrect on this date too?

Summit

Critical Crazy
It seems like this is an excellent remind as to why I should absolutely not take the EMT-I class right now even though there is an excellently scheduled nearby class for very cheap.

Who would think about becoming an I with this on the horizon?

xlq771

Forum Probie
If I am understanding the gap analysis document correctly, it states on page 42 that AEMT will not be performing EKG monitoring. Why would they remove this, and how could that be considered an improvement? With the exception of BC, Canadian PCP paramedics do at least 3 lead EKG, and some do 12 lead.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If I am understanding the gap analysis document correctly, it states on page 42 that AEMT will not be performing EKG monitoring. Why would they remove this, and how could that be considered an improvement? With the exception of BC, Canadian PCP paramedics do at least 3 lead EKG, and some do 12 lead.

AEMT or Intermediate level was never taught ECG interpertation except for the I-99 which was more a psuedo Paramedic. Why teach intepertation(s) if one cannot treat it?

R/r 911

8jimi8

CFRN
well, at least i was already planning a paramedic class in december.

maybe i'll get a live intubation before they take it away from me! The county that I practice in is quite slow.