Dumbest thing heard on the radio

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Just a quick question... I'm in beginning stages of learning EMS... what does a SOB mean?

Supervisor on Board <_<

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Unit XX, respond to XXXX for out of control 11 y/o.

CvlSrvnt

Forum Ride Along
During an ice storm, a crew was dispatched for hospital-to-hospital transfer, going about 40 miles away.
Crew: Um, dispatch...it's gonna take us a looong time to get there.
Dispatch: Ya think?

Same dispatcher, different day:
"Ambulance XXX, Medic YY states your lights are still on. That may be why people keep getting out of your way."

And last week, ALS unit dispatched for "pt not feeling well" call at a local nursing home.
Crew: Dispatch, is there BLS in the area?
Dispatch: Negative. That's why we're sending you.

Last edited by a moderator:

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Dispatch: Dispatch to Ambulance 5
A5: Go Ahead
Dispatch: Is this your mobile radio your talking on?
A5: What??
Dispatch: Are you speaking on your mobile or portable radio?
A5: Huh?
Dispatch: IS THIS THE RADIO MOUNTED TO THE DASHBOARD OF YOUR AMBULANCE?
A5: Yes, sorry

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Working Campus EMS (dispatched by University PD):

Control to EMS respond to Dorm X for male who cut himself a half hour ago.

I-cant-fix-stupid

Forum Ride Along
Big Bad Wolf

Medic 121- Dispatch we are unable to find our address.

Dispatch (snottily)- The house you are looking for is between the brick one and the one with blue wood siding

Medic 121- Dispatch... is it made of straw?

Dispatch- Click...Click...That is SO unprofessional!

pvfd62med22

Forum Probie
Us during the snowstorm the other day (lots of cars off the road)

Ctrl: Dispatch to A1.

Us: A1 is on go ahead.

Ctrl: A1 can you plz respond to Adams Rd Hwy Dept is reporting car into a tree Fire units responding.

Us: A1 received responding Adams rd for the MVA

Ctrl: Recved. A1 responding be advised Pd will be enroute as soon as they clear from the other accident.

Us(about 15 min ltr): Ctrl, A1 on scene with the Hwy Dept.

Ctrl: received Al your on scene @ 1805hrs.

Us: Ctrl be advised this is going to be a Pt refusal Minimal damage to the car/ A1 will be in service on scene completing paperwork.

Ctrl: Recived pt refusal your in service completing paperwork.

Fire: Ctrl, x1

Ctrl: Go ahead X1.

Fire: X1, x6, portable 16 and 20, and E4 will be on scene X1 will have command..

Ctrl: Received X1, x6, portable 16 and 20, and E4 will be on scene X1 will have command

PD (a few minutes later): Control (PDunit)7

Ctrl: go ahead...

Pd: Looking for a better location of the accident on Adams Rd..

Ctrl: It will be where the A1 the entire Fd and the Hwy dept are... ok?

Pd: recived...

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
Radio Roundup

This happened during an ice storm several years ago that decided to take out the fencing of the property

Dispatch : Medic 2 - please respond to Hwy 772

Medic 2 : What's the nature of the call ?

Dispatch : PD has requested fire assistance and standby

Medic 2 : Ummm, what the heck, but okay

Ten minutes later

Medic 2 to Medic 6 (my truck) : respond to station 4

Me : back up needed?

Medic 2 : No, but PD requests you ASAP

Me : What's going on?

Medic 2 : Because your horses are being corralled in the fire dept and with the cruisers and fire isn't real happy with your horses depositing presents in the bay

Me : Are you sure they're mine ?

PD : We know they're yours - I read the halter of the one that stuck it's head through my window

ME : Okay, copy that PD we're enroute

Got there to find all 9 of my horses crammed into the bay and being fed leftover biscuits. Turns out the ice storm had caused a tree to fall on the fencing taking out a section where they were allowing them to go on a tour of the town...

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
Touche'

My partner and I were notorious for "willing" calls - we'd talk about it and we'd get it. Were sitting around one day made the comment we hadn't had a code in a while and that it was pretty cool, was feelin pretty good about the state of the county, had the radio on and was jammin away. Dispatch broke the good mood

Dispatch : Medic 2 respond to **** Russell Ave for a code 500

Us : (in the background playing Another one bites the dust)

Dispatch (laughing): 10-4 and You might want to change the radio channel

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
One of them days

Had been a REALLY long shift, and was nearing the end of 60 straight and ready to head home when got last call

Dispatch : Medic 2 respond to Hwy 80 for MCI

Me : Oh *Censored Word* you've got to be kidding me

Dispatch : Bystanders report multiple severe patients

Me: Roll mutual aid from surrounding counties

Dispatch : 10-4

(ten minutes later)

Dispatch : Bystanders request you step it up

Me : We're going as fast as we can please put helicopter on standby

Dispatch : 10-4 , S.O., fish and wildlife and vehicle enforcement in route (that shoulda tipped me off to something)

(arrive on scene to find multiple "patients" that are now dead - patients was three deer that were hit and S.O. had shot prior to our arrival and failed to call us off in the "excitement")

Me : Uh, dispatch you can cancel the helicopter

Dispatch : are you transporting by ground?

Me : Negative - S.O. has killed them

Dispatch : Are you requesting the coroner?

Me : No, S.O. is tying them to the hood and taking them back for dinner

Dispatch : WHAT?

Me : The patients were deer...

Dispatch : Oh, 10-4, tell them to bring me some Bambi !

(Only in the country !)

themuffin101

Forum Ride Along
i was dispatched to a house where a woman's "water broke", and she was screaming( strong language barrier) so everyone was responding thinking this woman was crowning. We get there and find out her "water pipe broke" and she burned her hands from the hot water. Very minor burns lol

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Heard this on our flycar's scanner while coming back from a code:

"Fire control to 1281"

"1281 online go ahead"

"Uhhh 1281... your back door is loose!"

At first nobody said anything, but the whole car burst into laughter about 2 seconds later, and we proceeded to laugh all the way back to the station.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Driving down Main St...

"Dispatch to Squad 1"
"Squad 1. Go ahead dispatch."
"Stop. You've been hit from behind."
...silence...
"We have???"

Turns out a woman driving a minivan wasn't paying attention and was following too close. She ended up rear-ending the truck and when it was all said and done, the sticker on the back of the truck that reads "STAY BACK 500 FEET" was about 3 inches from her face....lol
She later tried to sue the crew for slamming their brakes on....she lost.

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
We got dispatched to a local facility for an unknown medical. The address dispatch gave us did not correspond to the building where we were sent.

Ambulance: "Uhhh...that's not an apartment here...we can't find them..."

Dispatch: "AWESOME!!! Standby"

Ambulance: "Roger..."

We got to 'em eventually. :p

bravesfan160

Forum Probie
I work for a service that does mostly transports and a few nursing home emergencies. Our dispatchers are trained on how to dispatch, but not what anything in the medical field means.

We received a call for respiratory distress and altered mental status, and dispatch was kind enough to inform us that they had a trachia.

Arived on scene to find that the patient had a teacheostomy.

hreeves877

Forum Probie
BLS crew dispatched for a patient assist, came in 3rd party. Apparently caller's mom fell, but they weren't sure if she was inside or outside the residence. Local fire whacker, who was an EMT on the responding rig went on scene as follows: "XXXX on scene, 2 story residence, nothing showing, we'll be out investigating". Find it funny or annoying, depending on your view of fire whackers, lol.

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
I know we have the dispatchers thread but I thought it would be worth a few laughs to hear the dumbest things we have heard on the radio period whether it be from a dispatcher or from unit to unit what have you...

Many years ago, long before 911, a neighboring VFD went out on a run in the middle of the night. I leaned over to listen to the call. I couldn't hear what the responding unit said, but the Chief, who was dispatching, said, "Hey! Cut out that squirrely s*it on the fire radio!"