Diesel fumes cause cancer

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Were already slowly making the switch to gas anyway......I really dont understand why as my few times in a gas truck we have burned way more fuel than normal.

OP
OP

94H

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not a mechanic so I cant tell you the mechanisms behind it, but I believe I read that gasoline is not as efficient as diesel at idle

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
UVA and UVB radiation from the sun increase the risk of cancer. As such, all employees must wear sun glasses, SPF 50 sunscreen, and long sleeves while outside for any given amount of time, effective immediately.

Thanks,

Management

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm not a mechanic so I cant tell you the mechanisms behind it, but I believe I read that gasoline is not as efficient as diesel at idle
Diesel is quite happy with varying air:fuel ratios. They're throttled by adding or subtracting fuel, the engine always takes in as much air as it can. A diesel engine at idle may have a ratio of 100:1 air/fuel ratio. At full power, you might see 40:1... A gas engine at idle has it's ratio somewhere near 14.7:1... and has to maintain that ratio.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
UVA and UVB radiation from the sun increase the risk of cancer. As such, all employees must wear sun glasses, SPF 50 sunscreen, and long sleeves while outside for any given amount of time, effective immediately.

Thanks,

Management
You forgot a hat and gloves.:p

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you sit next to the exhaust pipe inhaling the fumes? No? I think you are safe...

Your cell phone, tap water, your underwear and television cause cancer too.

Sasha

Forum Chief
This just in:

Life causes cancer

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you sit next to the exhaust pipe inhaling the fumes? No? I think you are safe...
I don't know about that statement. In theory sure, but I've had many a shift that I go home tasting fuel depending on how old the ambulance is. On our 12 hour shifts, we often have the engine on all day for heat or AC. I'm also not saying that this alone will cause cancer...I'm just saying that if it does, I don't know if I'm all "safe" as you say...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Recent studies show research causes cancer.

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
Underwear causes cancer? Good thing I don't wear any.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know about that statement. In theory sure, but I've had many a shift that I go home tasting fuel depending on how old the ambulance is. On our 12 hour shifts, we often have the engine on all day for heat or AC. I'm also not saying that this alone will cause cancer...I'm just saying that if it does, I don't know if I'm all "safe" as you say...

Sounds like your employer needs to have their vehicles serviced or decommissioned.

There is NO reason a functioning well kept vehicle should have an exhaust leak into the cab or box. This is a damaged vehicle and a complaint to OSHA would probably have it investigated.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
OMG!!!! Research proves that life precedes, and results in death!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Writing took many pcr by hand causes hand cancer. <.<
300px-PCR_masina_kasutamine.jpg

Shrugs.

I guess excessive micropipetting might cause some damage.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant

Thanks,

Management

My left arm is going to fall off from always being in the sun while driving.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Life is a fatal condition!

I prefer what used to be my signature.

"Surgeon General's Warning: Life will be hazardous to your health."