Detroit and Lansing Michigan area

jgw1981

Forum Probie
Hi everyone,

I have been a medic since 2011. I've spent the last several years on the railroad as a conductor, and well...thanks to the rona killing ridership, I'm staring down the long barrel of a furlough. While it is not for sure that I'm getting the hatchet, I want to do my due diligence. I'm located in Fowlerville, about 25 min east of Lansing, and I was wondering what the wages looked like for different agencies around, and who is hiring medics. I'm also cool with the Detroit area. I'm current with everything... might be a little rusty...but I have kept up with things. Any info would be awesome!

OP
OP
J

jgw1981

Forum Probie
I live in Fowlerville, so the drive to Detroit alone is prohibitive. And while I have no doubt that the day to day job, I would be just fine, I really don't feel like going through the academy. I was in DEMS academy when I was offered my railroad job, and that was 6 years ago, I dont think I want to deal with that again.

OP
OP
J

jgw1981

Forum Probie
😁

In all honesty - I think urban EMS is something everyone should experience in their career.. Maybe not for a whole career, but it is an entirely different animal, good and bad..
Urban EMS is quite fun, I was baptized by fire as a new medic, running rescue in Pontiac. 95% bs, 5% os seemed to be the average ratio. That being said, some of the most challenging medical calls, I had in the suburbs, and some of the worst trauma was down river (which could be debated on urban or suburban)

OP
OP
J

jgw1981

Forum Probie
Thanks for the replies folks! I'll keep my ears out for what is available when the time actually comes. I guess I should mention, I have worked kind of all over Oakland and Wayne counties, starting at Hart (donno if i should admit that), then going to Star, the Community empire (Healthlink, DMCare and CEMS, picked up shifts at all 3), then Superior (where my wife is currently a full time EMT) part time for a while at the early parts of my RR career. I also spent a short time in DEMS academy before I got the (unexpected) job offer, and was an ER tech. I miss EMS, and I am happy wages have risen, which is why I looked elsewhere in the first place. Its just crazy times we are in, stay safe ya'll

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You know the players.

Just for my own interest, any idea what the hourly rate is for an EMT-B and Paramedic in the area?