CPR instructors

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Is anybody here an AHA CPR instructor? If so, i wanted your opinion on the best way to teach CPR to a school. Not the whole school at once obviously but several students at once. Also, it cant be too long, I dont think it should be over 1 hour if possible. Any suggestions?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Is anybody here an AHA CPR instructor? If so, i wanted your opinion on the best way to teach CPR to a school. Not the whole school at once obviously but several students at once. Also, it cant be too long, I dont think it should be over 1 hour if possible. Any suggestions?

The AHA mandates CPR be taught with the video and proper equipment. There is no way to shortcut from the prescribed curriculum.

Instructors who do and give out cards can lose their instructor certifications and the participants cards will be invalidated.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
I know that FDNY does a one or two hour course on the basics of CPR for lay people. I think the materials are from AHA, it might be a course run by AHA. You dont get a card, but you get a little blow up maniken and the basics of CPR.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Im not doing any shortcuts or anything. Getting the equipment is no problem at all. but there are ways i could skip the "tests" and no give them a card. I dont care about the card i just want these kids to know how to do CPR.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Im not doing any shortcuts or anything. Getting the equipment is no problem at all. but there are ways i could skip the "tests" and no give them a card. I dont care about the card i just want these kids to know how to do CPR.

the website has what you need

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

First, if you are doing anything other than a 1:1 ratio, then yes you are trying to shortcut the system.

Two, if you have taught or lectured CPR previously, even doing the down and dirty version takes more than one hour and you need to add time for breaks and questions and in a high school setting even jokes or stories.

Three, you need to go to the website and see all you need to know. It is possible to do a "shorter" version but not in one hour.

Four, why are you determining whether or not the card is important for you? What if THEY want a card? After all it is them taking the course, it is for their benefit, that would be a very proud moment in some of THEIR lives.

Do yourself a favor...become an instructor, be affiliated with a TC and do this the right way. That is the best way to get these kids trained.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
I teach CPR classes in an hour... If its a healthcare provider renewal and I only have one student. I spend 20 minutes on lecture, and the rest of the time on practical and test. I never give anyone a card if I dont feel they can do excellent quality, effective CPR.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't think I've had a class go faster than 2 hours. The video itself is longer than an hour, plus the practice and tests.