concealed weapon carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqd4LT

Forum Ride Along
Hi there guys, i'm new to this forum but not to the life of volunteer EMS. I served the fire dept for about 2 years and have served the squad going on 5years. After the incident in Georgia yesterday with the firefighters being held hostage i'm wondering if that will help change some laws in places to allow us to conceal carry. I live in one of those places that don't let us conceal carry unless we are a sworn officer of the law. Luckily my captain is a police officer and I run with him most of the time so I know he's packin his glock. Before I get bashed by the anti gun people on here I think if you are going to carry a weapon to protect human life you should have to go through more then an 8 hour course to get your CCWP (Concealed Carry Weapon Permit). It would be nice to go thru the training that the police do, maybe that is something each agency could arrange with the local PD if they lift the no carry law.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Some first post...
Emt/ paramedic had an entire discussion about this on facebook yesterday.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
My opinion... its not our job on an EMS call.

Dont get me wrong... I CCW, I shoot IDPA... I am well trained but it is not my job.

I would be a tactical EMS provider in a heartbeat if I could, and then it WOULD be my role.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My opinion... its not our job on an EMS call.

Dont get me wrong... I CCW, I shoot IDPA... I am well trained but it is not my job.

I would be a tactical EMS provider in a heartbeat if I could, and then it WOULD be my role.

Not necessarily true. Our TEMS team is unarmed. Usually near the back of the stack if they actually make entry.

I'm all for guns, working on getting into a CCW class as we speak but a 6x9 foot box also known as my ambulance is no place for a firearm.

If you have EMS carrying you now brought a firearm into play on every single call you go on for the simple fact that you're carrying it...

I think something needs to change, I don't think the answer is a gun. TASERs have always seemed like a good option to me.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Yeah Robb... I have little knowledge of TEMS so I yield to your experience. I agree though that the ambulance is no place for a gun. Too many things can go wrong.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It's not my job to be armed to protect others, but I don't like being denied the right to protect myself.

This is the whole thing right here.

Every individual has an inherent natural right to self-defense.

That right should not be suspended just because you show up at work, or go a movie theater, or a school, or anywhere else.

bonesaw

Forum Probie
Not necessarily true. Our TEMS team is unarmed. Usually near the back of the stack if they actually make entry.

I'm all for guns, working on getting into a CCW class as we speak but a 6x9 foot box also known as my ambulance is no place for a firearm.

If you have EMS carrying you now brought a firearm into play on every single call you go on for the simple fact that you're carrying it...

I think something needs to change, I don't think the answer is a gun. TASERs have always seemed like a good option to me.

Now you are bringing a taser into play every single call. Why should I not be able to ccw because you are not confident to carry yourself?
edit-
If we are talking about ccw and not open carry on a duty belt set up I am all for it, it is an issue if it's out in the open and visible to pts/bystanders etc.....
Concealed is concealed and all of that....

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Give EMS the right to deny service until calls are completely safe, assign PD to every call, or arm EMS.

I know this incident will have an impact on my work.

CFal

Forum Captain
Give EMS the right to deny service until calls are completely safe, assign PD to every call, or arm EMS.

I know this incident will have an impact on my work.

town I currently work in (not for) used to dispatch PD to all EMS calls because the cops are first responders, they stopped doing that but I heard they might start again.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd love to see somebody do a good study of which of those three strategies results in the lowest number of providers injured or killed. My bet is on assigning PD to every call. I love that method.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
This is the whole thing right here.

Every individual has an inherent natural right to self-defense.

That right should not be suspended just because you show up at work, or go a movie theater, or a school, or anywhere else.

This gets a bit tricky when actually applied to the real world. What's to stop people from saying they were defending themselves when they weren't? A recent court case comes to mind.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This gets a bit tricky when actually applied to the real world. What's to stop people from saying they were defending themselves when they weren't? A recent court case comes to mind.

Incidents involving those lawfully carrying guns are extremely rare.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This has been thrashed to death on this forum including by folks with experience with law enforcement, military, folks who have been involved with on the job violence, and others. I think it is safe to characterize the responses, backed by citations and polls, as saying (about 80%) that using EMS work as an excuse to carry guns is not a real EMS concern. 20% say "we don't get it" and insist that they want and have a right to carry loaded firearms on the job (and maybe off, seeing as how they keep going an about "CWP":cool: ).

(If you are carrying a weapon on your job in a holster on your "utility belt", that is not a "concealed carry" anyway).

Have fun on the forum.

"Mycrofft",
Major, USAF/CaANG (retired)
XXX County Sheriff Dept (CHS) (retired)
and a trained firearm owner.

EIT:
PS: a characterization of the latest (2008) US Supreme Court ruling (wkipedia):

and I quote:

In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment "codified a pre-existing right" and that it "protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home"[9][10] but also stated that "the right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose". They also clarified that many longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession listed by the Court are consistent with the Second Amendment."

So, no armed drive-through window attendants at Starbucks. No armed ER doctors. No walking down the street with a loaded firearm even in plain sight unless it is specifically and locally allowed....unless you are in need of it for immediate personal defense.

tombstonefeature.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

I doubt you're particularly familiar with the actual details of the case I think you're referring to...

The "family business" is firearms training, specifically handguns, concealed carry, and self defense. There's no "trickiness" in the real world, games with circumstances usually come out pretty quickly.

Folks....mindset is key. A gun is a tool that makes it easier to survive/defend yourself but by no means the only one. It really comes down to making a conscious choice how far you're willing to go to defend yourself from a potentially deadly situation and figuring out how to apply that to situations you may find yourself in.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Roger that.

...and how to avoid them.
"The best defense against attack is not to be there when the blow falls". (Noguchi-sensei, 1970).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
No walking down the street with a loaded firearm even in plain sight unless it is specifically and locally allowed....unless you are in need of it for immediate personal defense.
you sure about that? the USSC might made their ruling, but I am not sure your conclusion was accurate[YOUTUBE]RyJFD6BhQFY[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.