Community Paramedic question

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Question,
I have been seeing alot where a lot of EMS services are branching into Community Paramedicine. Is Community Paramedicine where the Future of EMS is going to be headed towards and do you see Community Paramedics being a speciality or it's own branch of EMS much like how Flight Paramedics are it's own specialty.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd call community paramedicine an area of specialization for paramedics. I'm still not sure it's a good fit for people who mostly treat emergent illness and injury, but I guess we'll have to wait a few years to better evaluate it.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I can see where Community Paramedicine be treated like Independent Duty Corpsman that you see in the US Military. I wonder if we can take the Independent Duty Corpsman model and make it into community Paramedicine.

I'd call community paramedicine an area of specialization for paramedics. I'm still not sure it's a good fit for people who mostly treat emergent illness and injury, but I guess we'll have to wait a few years to better evaluate it.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hard to compete with home-health and community nursing which is more suited for the role. Definitely a need, and nursing probably can't fill that void themselves, however the current education model for paramedicine is lacking even with most community medicine programs.