Certification versus License

8jimi8

CFRN
Could someone discuss what it REALLY means?

In Texas, if you have an associates or higher in EMS, or a "related field," you are eligible to apply for the "Licensed Paramedic" patch.

This patch has a gold border and for all I have found, only indicates that you pay a higher registration fee and incur no further benefit.

Every LP that I have asked has said, "it basically means you pay more for your state license."

Sure it does indicate that you have met the minimum education requirement to hold a license.

I've heard Linuss mentioning technicians and license holders in regards to health care professional governance bodies. But what does it mean?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Could someone discuss what it REALLY means?

In Texas, if you have an associates or higher in EMS, or a "related field," you are eligible to apply for the "Licensed Paramedic" patch.

This patch has a gold border and for all I have found, only indicates that you pay a higher registration fee and incur no further benefit.

Every LP that I have asked has said, "it basically means you pay more for your state license."

Sure it does indicate that you have met the minimum education requirement to hold a license.

I've heard Linuss mentioning technicians and license holders in regards to health care professional governance bodies. But what does it mean?

"Texas...It's like a whole 'nother country" I believe was once the tourism slogan advertized on TV.

Does there have to be a logical explanation?

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
"Texas...It's like a whole 'nother country" I believe was once the tourism slogan advertized on TV.

Does there have to be a logical explanation?

No there doesn't have to be one... i just thought there might be one. Rob and I were discussing it and I realized that I really didn't have a handle on the concept.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
It was supposed to be a move to encourage EMS to get a degree but that went out the window coz they decided it was OK to have any Degree.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
As Brown said it was one of those ideas that seemed like a good idea at the time. I guess the concept is that if you managed to get a degree in something your technically smarter than someone who didn't. I know way too many stupid PhD's to buy that though, but then again I don't have a degree so I would say that wouldn't I ;)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I license is issued by a government authority. A certification is issued by a private authority.

In Maryland, EMS providers at all levels are licensed, because MIEMSS is a government agency and is the only entity that can legally authorize a person to function as an EMS provider in this state.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I license is issued by a government authority. A certification is issued by a private authority.

In Maryland, EMS providers at all levels are licensed, because MIEMSS is a government agency and is the only entity that can legally authorize a person to function as an EMS provider in this state.

Say what? Last time I checked my Paramedic card, issued by the state, said "certification on it".

JPINFV

Gadfly
NREMT legal brief on cert vs licensure:
https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/Legal_Opinion.asp

Food for thought, California Business and Professions code regarding physicians:

2040. The terms "license" and "certificate" as used in this chapter
are deemed to be synonomous.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=02001-03000&file=2030-2041

When the people who write laws can't tell the difference between professional certification and licensure, the entire debate becomes just silly.