Capnography

JwL

Forum Probie
Senario:
Pts RR 40 BPM.
Waveform capnography on the LP20 was consistent with the pts presentation. However, the printed version of the waveform, with no change in the pts RR, appeared slower and elongated. Solely looking at the printed waveform with no information regarding the pts actual RR, it would appear the RR was 8 BPM. I understand the printed version is slower but why such a drastic difference? I have never seen this before. All printed versions usually reflect what I'm seeing on the LP monitor.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I've never messed with the settings on a lifepack, but we can change the speed of our displays and printouts on our unit/ed monitors (I prefer international standards but some of our old heart nurses like to set everything to 50mm/s).

I'm guessing that your monitor display defaults to 12.5mm/s for respiratory (canpo or impedance) and 25mm/s for everything else. Maybe it is set to print out at 25mm/s for both.

OP
OP
J

JwL

Forum Probie
I've never messed with the settings on a lifepack, but we can change the speed of our displays and printouts on our unit/ed monitors (I prefer international standards but some of our old heart nurses like to set everything to 50mm/s).

I'm guessing that your monitor display defaults to 12.5mm/s for respiratory (canpo or impedance) and 25mm/s for everything else. Maybe it is set to print out at 25mm/s for both.

Yes, the time settings are different. The LP software speeds up the capnography monitor display to make it "real time" and prints it out normal. A pt breathing 12 bpm wouldn't even show up on the monitor without manipulating the speed. Our last pts capnography print out showed 4 breath cycles in a 6 second strip which equates to 40 BPM. Looking at the capnography alone, you would assume the pt was hypoventilating. Thx for the reply