Can I still become an EMT?

Elizabeth B

Forum Ride Along
I am currently a high school student and plan on starting my EMT Basic Training next year. I want to become an EMT, it is something I see myself doing and growing in the medical field. The only problem I have is my father stopping me from following my dream due to religious reasons. I do agree with my father but being an EMT is something I already have in my mind. I can't seem to think of any other medical career. I am Seventh-Day Adventist. Which basically means I cannot work Friday nights or all day Saturdays. I don't want to get into religion but that is one of the beliefs that I have. My father will be very disappointed if I did work those days, it isn't something I want to do. Anyways, is there still a chance I can become an EMT and follow my religious beliefs by not having shifts those days?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sure, I don't see why not. It will be dependent on the company you get hired with, though. When I worked in private EMS, I essentially set my schedule. You may have to work PT though, to maintain that flexibility

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

I'm sure that if you try hard enough and make some sacrifices you can make it work.

One of the challenges of working at the EMT-Basic level is that in some regions there seems to be a huge supply of job seekers with limited job opportunities. If you enjoy EMT school I'd encourage you to continue through an EMT-Paramedic program where you'll have far more job opportunities.

Good luck!

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
I don't want to be discouraging at all, but have you found a program that does not operate on Fridays and Saturdays?

It's honorable to respect your families religious beliefs. But to be straightforward you may find a basic school but I'd urge you to check out a medic program as well to find a compatible fit, if you feel medic may be in your future as well.

Where are you from ?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
First: do what YOU want/don't want, not what your FATHER wants/don't want.

Second: if you want to have Fridays and Saturdays off, you can have Fridays and Saturdays off. It might limit your choice of shifts, as in you have to pass up full time shifts and stay part time. But in no way does it preclude the entire career.

Third: if you like EMT class, go to college and become an EM physician ;)

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
What city? Once you get through school, apply to a Florida Hospital (many have their own inter-facility ambulances) if there are any near you. They're owned by the Adventists, so they would definitely work around your schedule.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
First: do what YOU want/don't want, not what your FATHER wants/don't want.

This. You'll be an adult (if you're not already) and can make your own decisions. Shifts will be hard to come by for full time if you limit the days you're available.

OP
OP
Elizabeth B

Elizabeth B

Forum Ride Along
Thank you guys for all your advice. I live in Orlando so working at Florida Hospital does sound like an option. I do want to be full time but it doesn't seem like that's going to work out.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The best advise that anyone could give on here is YOU DO YOU. That means do whatever you want, if you want to follow your beliefs then part time or per diem is your best bet. If you want full time then you're going to have to not follow your beliefs and work weekends. Not saying full time is impossible but it would be easier to find a company or dept. with a more flexible schedule. Whatever makes you happy is what you should do.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
Actually, I mean finding a spot that you can work 4/10's or 2 24's or 3 12ms shouldn't be a problem. I'd honestly believe finding the school not utilizing fri/sat would be the issue.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Provided one will be willing to work with her schedule availability.

Of course. I live in Orlando as well, so I know that FHEMS and American Ambulance would definitely accomodate her. RM probably would as well, if she dares go that route.
Besides, the Adventist Sabbath is only sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday, which would allow for class on Friday or even an early shift.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I am currently a high school student and plan on starting my EMT Basic Training next year. I want to become an EMT, it is something I see myself doing and growing in the medical field. The only problem I have is my father stopping me from following my dream due to religious reasons. I do agree with my father but being an EMT is something I already have in my mind. I can't seem to think of any other medical career. I am Seventh-Day Adventist. Which basically means I cannot work Friday nights or all day Saturdays. I don't want to get into religion but that is one of the beliefs that I have. My father will be very disappointed if I did work those days, it isn't something I want to do. Anyways, is there still a chance I can become an EMT and follow my religious beliefs by not having shifts those days?
In order for employers to respect the religion discrimination act, they have to respect that.