Can Anybody Else Verify This???

Mills2297

Forum Ride Along
So rumor has it that Narcaine is gonna be available over the counter at stores sometime here soon. I dont know if this is completely true or just rumor through the grapevine, but if it is true what are ya'lls thoughts on it?

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I just Googled it. It says that CVS will sell it in 14 states. I'm not sure if it's a reliable source, but that's what it says. Says that two states (Rhode Island and Mass) already do that. Where are you?

OP
OP
Mills2297

Mills2297

Forum Ride Along
Im In Va. I saw South Carolina was gonna sell it too but im still kind of iffy about it tho, i mean its a good resource to have like EMS wise but for your everyday junkie to have a way out in case like PD comes or there friend OD's seems like its kind of there way of skipping punishment...

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Im In Va. I saw South Carolina was gonna sell it too but im still kind of iffy about it tho, i mean its a good resource to have like EMS wise but for your everyday junkie to have a way out in case like PD comes or there friend OD's seems like its kind of there way of skipping punishment...

Could you elaborate on this idea? Why would they be punished?
They could already throw him in a car and dump him off in front of the ER, but their driving would endanger a bunch of people.

Why do you care if they go to jail for drug use? (Which isn't even a crime, BTW. Possession is what they can charge you with)
You actually think the war on drugs is working, or that jailing junkies does anything useful?

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
What is "narcaine"?

And are we really interested in punishment over the many positive health and life saving aspects?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The power of fast fingers....and once you put it on the internet, it is there forever (insert diabolical laugh here).

cprted

Forum Captain
Street narcan kits are pretty widespread up here in Canadaland, at least the areas where I've worked. I've been on several calls where a street narcan kit was deployed and they have definitely saved me from bagging a patient a couple of times.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I really don't have a problem with narcan being sold OTC. The user him/herself isn't going to use it on themselves, obviously, but I can't say it's a bad thing to have around if it's needed. Best case scenario I can imagine for that is a parent who [correctly] worries their kid is doing heroin. Kid ODs one night, and the parent has the tools on-hand to save the kid and maybe, just maybe (the eternal optimist in me hopes) the kid has their come-to-Jesus moment and realizes they almost freaking died and makes some important life changes.

I'm sure that's not how most uses of it will go. But the benefits outweigh the risks, and I really don't think having OTC narcan available is going to increase heroin use or anything. So I'm really very 'meh' on it being readily available. I don't think it's something that is going to turn the tide of the heroin epidemic, but it might save a life now and then... so why not allow it.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-...ug-overdose-immunity-good-samaritan-laws.aspx

Here in WI you can get Narcan free OTC; I believe that you just have to watch an instructional video or something along those lines.

We also have this:
961.443  Immunity from criminal prosecution; possession.
(1)  Definitions. In this section, "aider" means a person who does any of the following:
(a) Brings another person to an emergency room, hospital, fire station, or other health care facility if the other person is, or the person believes him or her to be, suffering from an overdose of, or other adverse reaction to, any controlled substance or controlled substance analog.
(b) Summons a law enforcement officer, ambulance, emergency medical technician, or other health care provider, to assist another person if the other person is, or the person believes him or her to be, suffering from an overdose of, or other adverse reaction to, any controlled substance or controlled substance analog.
(c) Dials the telephone number "911" or, in an area in which the telephone number "911" is not available, the number for an emergency medical service provider, to obtain assistance for another person if the other person is, or the person believes him or her to be, suffering from an overdose of, or other adverse reaction to, any controlled substance or controlled substance analog.
961.443(2)(2) Immunity from criminal prosecution. An aider is immune from prosecution under s. 961.573, for the possession of drug paraphernalia, and under s. 961.41 (3g) for the possession of a controlled substance or a controlled substance analog, under the circumstances surrounding or leading to his or her commission of an act described in sub. (1).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't understand all the EMS outrage (not here) regarding public use Narcan. It's been around in Massachusetts for 20 years. It isn't a safety net, it's a way for the loved one's of addicts to potentially prevent their death. Can't really send a dead person to rehab now can we?

cprted

Forum Captain
And it's not like the IVDU population doesn't know how to use a syringe ....

There are Narcan autoinjectors coming out now. The police up here are getting preloaded IN narcan kits.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Police in the Boston suburbs were giving Narcan IM in the late 90s in a DOH program. I think we sometimes forget that opiate "epidemics" are not a new phenomenon.